Live8 - London

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:40 am

Yeah Jmac, Gates and some of the other millionaires could have bought the debt and wrote it off as a tax loss.  :idea   :nod

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:36 pm

Many Africans see this campaign as condescending. They don't want charity and to be treated like a child. What they want is free trade and encouragement of business. Blair and others are not popular with their colonial attitude and Geldoff was compared to the missionaries of 150 years ago who thought the natives were backward and needed to be treated in a child like way. The south african president said that there are still elements of white supremacy in our attitude that they need aid and without this are destined for disaster. They want trade not aid.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:41 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Yeah Jmac, Gates and some of the other millionaires could have bought the debt and wrote it off as a tax loss.  :idea   :nod

The Sunday Times yesterday had an article on Bill Gates and his wife. Apparently there have promised to donate $20BILLION of their personal wealth to help combat AIDS etc in Africa.

I remember Bill Gates saying a few years ago that when he was 50 he would retire and give all but 5% of his wealth to charity. What age is he now?

Bill Gates is pouring money into AIDS research, but there is a theory that he is only doing this to head off a future scenario where African countries start mass counterfeiting HIV treatment drugs, ignoring (out of desperation) international law on intellectual property rights. The theory goes that he's afraid that they won't stop there and will also start counterfeiting Microsoft's software and the world will be powerless to stop them.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:28 pm

dumbest theory since the spooky AZ Graz one.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:43 pm

JBG wrote:[
I remember Bill Gates saying a few years ago that when he was 50 he would retire and give all but 5% of his wealth to charity. What age is he now?

He'll be 50 in october this year. So the problem will be solved ,what the fk was the concert all about .

:laugh:   :D   :laugh:   :D   :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Garymac » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Cant believe you can have a live 8 topic and not mention Razorlight, these guys are fu*kin awesome live and somewhere else is one of the best songs of the year done brilliantly at live 8, They really should get more credit cos they fu*king rock, Pete Docherty was a embarrasment, lets get a crack head on stage they shouted, how can they put that cu*t on a show like that.

Oh and Mariah "i need a Mike stand,Get me a mike stand, can i get some water, jesus i need a mike stand for the next song" Carey once again proved she is lovely, has no ego what so ever and is just like us!!!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:36 pm

Some observations on Africa .
Although we were advised about the appalling death rate in sub saharan africa nobody mentioned that the birth rate is more than double that number. Somalia for example has an annual death rate of 19 per 1000 head of population and and birth rate of 50 per 1000 head of population. In 1950 the population of Africa was 222 million in the year 2000 it was in excess of 800 million and experts predict that figure will be doubled by 2016. Europes population growth is 0.2% Asia 1.8% Africa 3.0%
Despite having less than 12% of the worlds population Africa has 65% of the worlds people infected with aids. In some counties for example swaziland over 40% of the population are reportedly hiv positive.
Are these people doing too much fcking ? Or should we be sending condoms instead of food ?
Tough call . Although Africa's population is increasing by 3% per annum ,it's food supply is only increasing by 1% and its economic growth is even less. (remember these are the figures for sub saharan africa not individual countries ) .
This may sound callous and crazy but in view of the stats I've quoted (all taken from reputable sources on the net) will efforts to improve life expectancy in Africa actually be beneficial in the long term. I know it sounds nuts ,but the ever rising population is far outstripping the food supply and economic growth . I don't know what the answer is but it'll be many many lifetimes before Africa's problems are brought under control .   

:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum