Owen: i'm different - Skysports 1/6/05

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:57 pm

Michael Owen believes that he holds a unique role in the England setup as the only out-and-out goalscorer.

The Real Madrid striker took his international tally to 32 with a hat trick against Colombia on Tuesday night, leaving him fourth in England's all-time record goalscorers list.

The tour to America presented a chance for Sven Goran Eriksson to blood new talent, although it was his most consistent performer who took the plaudits with a finishing masterclass against the South Americans.

Owen has forged a strong attacking partnership with Manchester United star Wayne Rooney, although feels that he is a more predatory player than the 19-year-old and the other strikers in the squad.

"My job in the team is to score goals," said Owen. "I'm not a Wayne Rooney or a Peter Crouch or an Emile Heskey.

"A team always needs a flier who can score goals, I'm not great at other things but I'm not a bad scorer.

"If someone can do that better than me then I guess they'll be in the team, but at this moment I'm doing a decent job."

Owen ended a difficult season with the three-goal haul, as he reasserted his claims to be one of the world's finest strikers following a Liga season in which he often struggled to make the starting line-up at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.

The former Liverpool hero now has Jimmy Greaves, Gary Lineker and Sir Bobby Charlton in his sights as he looks to break the half century mark for his country.

"I've leapfrogged three unbelievable names but there's three more unbelievable names still ahead of me and it will be a long time before I get up there because the next one is 44, and then it's 48 and 49," Owen continued.

"The key is staying fit and playing well, and if I do keep being selected I'd expect to score more goals.

"Can I be the first to get to 50? It's a long way away but if I did get there it would live with me forever."
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion