My club is dying.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:57 pm

I heard this morning that Rick Parry and David Moores have again come out in support of Houllier, and Parry says Houllier will be here next year (although hinted that may be dependent on Champions League football).

I don’t know what other people think but my feeling that the club is slowly slitting its own throat.

We have had two terrible seasons where our league form has been very poor and our results against the likes of Charlton, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Sunderland etc over the past 18 months has been unacceptable.

I used to be a supporter of Gerard Houllier and even now I find it difficult not to like the man.

However, his experiment has backfired and it is clear that deep down he has lost the heart and support of the players.

I think that he had gambled on adding a lot of youth and potential to his good side of 2001 and 2002 in the hope that these young players who take the places of some of the guys from the treble winning season and establish a side capable of dominating the Premiership in the long term.

However, some of the young players he has signed, none more so that Igor Biscan, simply haven’t lived up to their promise.

Also, I am a firm believer that the atmosphere and philosophy of Gerrard Houllier’s Liverpool, with its emphasis on negative football and safety first approach, is simply not a good breathing ground for talented young players like Baros, Le Tallec, Pongolle, Partridge and Welsh. These young fellas need to be playing the ball on the ground and allowing their talent to flourish, and not, as is happening to Le Tallec, having to challenge the opposition left back for long punts down the right wing.

I think that even if we finish fourth and win the UEFA Cup, Houllier should go. Our league form has been poor for two seasons and I have no confidence in Houllier being able to stop the rot.

There will be some good material for a new manager to work with in the summer, but the danger is that if we suffer another underperforming season next year, it will be patently clear that something is deeply wrong (in my mind its already clear) and we will fall further and further behind the top clubs and probably be eclipsed by Newcastle as well.

I think if Houllier is given another chance, then the club will have pressed the self destruct button and the damage that we will suffer next season will put us, in my opinion, 10 years away from achieving our holy grail, the Premiership.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:17 pm

I wouldn't say this club is dying, the future is bright. I would not like to be the path of LFC for the remainder of the season. We will put alot of doubters to bed with the fight we show in the coming months.

UP THE POOL!!!!!

We MUST always back the team and the club too.
They need us to back the team.

COME ON LIVERPOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:01 pm

Gerard Houllier is a coward and he sends the players onto the field of play with that streak of cowardice in-grained in their approach.Sunday was a prime example,with Owen up-front on his own,5 in the midfield with Hamann protecting the centre-halves from nothing.It was only Steven Gerrard,who was prepared to make runs to support Owen.What happens in the 2nd half...we bring on Baros and SG has the shackles clamped on him.
         Fear of losing is slowly destroying Liverpool and eroding any last remnants of respect this club had world-wide.It's noticeable that the Houllier supporters have crawled back under their badge festooned V-neck sweaters and are laying low because they have no position to defend.
   Where are Stu_the red ?
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:08 pm

I agree with JBG - The club is at a really critical point right now. I do not believe GH shoud stay on under almost any circumstances. I am very worried that he will be allowed to stay if the team can scrape 4th place this season. I would rather we missed out on CL qaulification than this.

If only the likes of Moores or Parrry spent a bit of time mixing with LFC fans or visited the message boards they would get a flavour of what real LFC fans are feeling and thinking. Maybe Stu the Red is really Rick Parry in disguise?

Is it gonna be a fresh start next season or more of the same?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:22 pm

C'on guys, whoever pro-GH..cant u see G.H has no idea of what tactic is abt? PLaying players out of positions, ask them do what they cant rather than play to their strength. Can u see how liv can string 3-4 passes decently nowadays? And ihave this feeling that G.Hs just good at slowing down players talent if not destroy them
whylongball?

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:28 pm

Scottbot wrote:I agree with JBG - The club is at a really critical point right now. I do not believe GH shoud stay on under almost any circumstances. I am very worried that he will be allowed to stay if the team can scrape 4th place this season. I would rather we missed out on CL qaulification than this.

If only the likes of Moores or Parrry spent a bit of time mixing with LFC fans or visited the message boards they would get a flavour of what real LFC fans are feeling and thinking. Maybe Stu the Red is really Rick Parry in disguise?

Is it gonna be a fresh start next season or more of the same?

I think I agree with you . It's a hard one,we all want success but I would pass on success this season if it meant we could get rid of the Frog.
Also, as a few other guys have mentioned until the team is properly sorted out playing in the CL could be a major embarrasment. :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:29 pm

Something went right in the Newcastle cup game though didn't it?  We are capable of it at least.  The players just don't perform at that level consistently.
jonnymac1979

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:34 pm

True, you never know what your gonna get from one match to another.
But right now if a bus came along with GOAL written on the front our lads would miss it. :p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion