Left sided english players - Where are they?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:11 pm

recently got into another discussion with a mate about england's ever problematic left side of midfield scenario. my solution was to play bridge at left back and cole left wing. But why do we not produce any natural left footed players in this country anymore? I personally blame the influx of foreigners that have come into the game in this country. If only that bast#rd giggs had chosen to play for england.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:29 pm

I agree about putting Bridge at left back and playing cole at left wing, also I would use Rooney from the bench and put Scholes behind Owen with Butt and Gerrard in the centre.

That would mean using all players(apart from cole), in the best position. Getting the best out of Gerrard and Scholes is vital.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:37 pm

it's weird in a way that scholes hasn't scored for england for 2 years. Gerrard is just being wasted in the formation that sven plays because he's not being allowed to surge forward like he's been doing for us recently.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:19 pm

As long as we have a competent player on the left he doesn't have to be the best. We should put someone at left back and stick with them, I think most of the problems are caused by continually chopping and changing
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:24 pm

agreed. experimenting isn't the answer this close to a major championships. i always rated gareth barry of villa as he is a natural left footer but playing for an unfashionable club won't help him. same for alan thompson at celtic.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:30 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Barry get a chance, but the scots league is no kind of arena to judge Thompson or Sutton. If they want to play for England they should move to a more competitive league where they face decent opposition week in, week out. When Dunfermline scored first against Celtic the reporter wasn't even bothered, I guess everyone knew Celtic would win comfortably
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:36 pm

yeah well thompson was decent when he played here but he never really got a chance at newcastle or villa. scottish football is a joke i have to say. rangers would be battling against relegation in england where as celtic would probably be about mid-table.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:40 pm

Hard to say how they'd do, they must only play at 50% most weeks. I don't reckon they can break sweat most of the time, probably the most effort they put in is to get on the pitch and cream in the goals
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion