Bolton want diouf permanently - Substantial loss

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ade » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:30 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Biscan: £5.5million allegedly "rising to £7million", depends on who you are listening to.

Cheyrou: £3.75million

Diao: £5.5million

Diouff: £10million

Its always hard to be 100% accurate with transfer fees and as Leeds have proved, the cost of signing players can often be substantially higher than the transfer fee published to the media as there can be loads of hidden costs. The above amounts are the generally accepted figures for the transfers of the following players.

Thats £24.75million, plus between £4million to £6million a year in wages.

Selling those players now would bring at the very best £3million-£4million in the transfer market.

£25million.

Look at it this way.

In Houllier's time, we could have got Damien Duff for £12.5million. I know there's no such as a sure thing, but I think most people would agree that disasterous injury aside, Duff would have made a serious impact at whatever club he was at.

The remaining £12.5million would have brought you Anelka, or alternatively Wayne Bridge and Joe Cole.

Ok, its very easy for me to say that with hindsight and perhaps Duff, Cole and Bridge might have flopped very badly at Liverpool. On average, every 4th or 5th signing a club makes just doesn't work out. But there lies the problem: it seems to me that more than half of the players signed by the club in the past 15 years just simply haven't worked out, often to alarming degrees.

That makes for depressing reading.

Don't pull your punches though JBG, talking of hindsight being a great thing etc. At the end of the 2001-2 season when Houllier signed those wasters, we'd come second in the league to Arsenal and it was clear then what we needed: a left back, a left and a right-sided midfielder.

Regardless of their unproven quality, Cheyrou, Diao and Diouf weren't even the right type of players. Add on top of that the fact that they were long shots, untested. Then add on top the fact they cost around18million.

Madness.

We'd be lucky to get 2.5m for Diouf, not least cos Rafa's already announced publicly that he's no longer a part of Rafa's Liverpool. The way we do business still leaves a lot to be desired.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:49 pm

jonnymac1979

Postby Dalglish » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:58 pm

I'm tiring of Boltons trotted out speel about being a "poor club" . I paid £38 to watch LFC this season at the Reebok so have little time for their hard up excuses ???

If Bolton won't pay the asking price (4M IMO) then we trawl Diouff around Europe and given his recent form it should be possible to get at least 4M for him .....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:13 am

If a club really want the tw@t, they'll have to pay for him. Simple. If we stupidly accepted his transfer fees without negotiating, (Houllier's magnificent start of his reign of terror) after the world cup becuase of a few good games he played for Senegal, then to pay 10 mill for him to start off was a flop. Houllier just got on the bandwagon after the world cup, seeing that the guy did play well in the world cup, and ultimately, we paid the price. If we can get 3.5 - 5 mill, we just have to cut our losses and be done with it. But im sure there is a French club out there that would jump on the opportunity to sign him up, and start a bidding war. So be it, hopefully.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:22 am

Or :
Upfront :2m
24 month : 2m
20 goals : 2m
40 match :2m

total : 8m
LiverpoolMadman

Postby laza » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:04 am

Yeah if Bolton wont offer a decent amount around 4 million mark. Then offer him to the highest bidder. Probably pound wise we would get more for him in a player trade rather then a cash deal
Either way i rather not see him or his attitude back in a Red shirt no matter how many he knocks in for Bolton
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:05 am

I don't think they will offer much more than 2 million.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kid a » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:53 am

Anything less than 3 million, would be a joke. No one does us any favors in the transfer market, we have to act likewise. This club can be a soft touch at times. ..
Kid a

Postby Big Niall » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:03 pm

Ever since we bough Julian Dicks for 3 players plus a million or two and sold him back for half a million I've known that we are a soft touch in negotiations.

We will just put him on the market - that will show how the market determines his worth. As mentioned earlier £2m a year saving in wages is a lot of money.

I still fume at the face of GH and the money he has wasted here.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:05 pm

Wasted money on mediocre players, too many of them, during the period when Liverpool did not qualify for the CL and resulting in the club being in debt... :angry:
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion