Time to scrap the champions league - For the sake of our game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:54 pm

The Champions league should be for champions only, get back to how it was and bring back the cup winners cup :p  :p  :p
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:57 pm

The_Rock wrote:The Uefa cup is also suffering due to champions league. Nobody gives a sh1t to it (although winning it in 2001 was gr8)

definitely. half of the teams in the uefa cup this season i'd never heard of.

this rule whereby the teams who aren't good enough to be in the champions league get "the consolation" of dropping into the uefa cup is wrong.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:04 pm

to restore the uefa cup to it's past glory the solution is simple, scrap the rule where the team that finishes 3rd in there champions league group gets entry into the uefa cup and give the uefa cup winners a champions league place. This would give the bigger teams in the uefa cup some impetus to win it, and actually make the competition worthwile again
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:15 pm

i get the feeling the champions league will run its course... no monopoly can last for ever. When the same team qualifies for the champions league every year and the gap between the richer teams and poorer teams widen, stuff will happen.

I just hope we win it before it is scrapped..  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafas Amigo » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:34 pm

Just on the champions league , if we qualify for it this year and so do manure and chelski then does that mean the watford qualify for the uefa cup through the place available from the carling cup ?????
JAMIE '  ILL STAY TILL THE CLUB DOSENT WANT ME  ' CARRAGHER
Rafas Amigo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:35 pm

Rafas Amigo wrote:Just on the champions league , if we qualify for it this year and so do manure and chelski then does that mean the watford qualify for the uefa cup through the place available from the carling cup ?????

good question. could well be. :oh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rafas Amigo » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:37 pm

I hope they do get and dont give it to 7th in the league they deserve it after beating pompey and saints on the way
JAMIE '  ILL STAY TILL THE CLUB DOSENT WANT ME  ' CARRAGHER
Rafas Amigo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Stop dreaming. Champions league football is exciting for both fans and players. It is the world cup of club football and the biggest tournament around. If that means that the FA cup and the Coca cola cup has a lower attraction value. So be it. Why should Liverpool care about playing Burnley or Exeter when they can face Madrid and Juventus? Just cope with it. It is two things that matter the premier league and european football. To dream about the good old days of black and white television, smallpox deaths and semi professional footballers make no sense.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby KennyisGod....still » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:12 pm

Champion's League is a false description. We won all our European Cups as Champions, be it of Europe or of England. As said before, where the hell does 4th place in your own league make you Champions? Nearly as farcical as the yanks 'World Series Baseball'. Get back to two games, home and away, Champions only plus last years winners and get some credibility back into football. That way the overpaid gangsters (or do I mean agents??) demandin still more cash for their jumped up stars can get weeded out and money can stay in football to make it even better. There aint a player on this earth worth £100,000 per week, not nowhere. But while CL exists that kinda deals gonna happen. I accept that this country has at least 5 teams that feel they should be CL regulars, but only 3 teams currently good enuff to be Champions!

CL may be excitin, it may draw crowds here at the stadiums and on the telly, but slowly that money comin in is bein taken away, and wheres that gonna leave most of us? Leeds tried to live the dream, the nightmare killed them, and we ain near good enuff with the squad we currently have to compete in Prem, CL, FA Cup and Carlin Cup, so at some stage we're gonna get embarrassed. Get rid of potentially 2 qualifyin rounds, 6 group games early in the season and return to some sense of pride thru bein the Champions of your country's league.

4th place is not a benchmark, its a consolation. Liverpool shouldn't be judged on consolation prizes. And if all this means we have to spend a little more time in the shadow of those above us, remember Shanks took the club from nothin, Paisley built a dynasty an it was all built on honest endeavour, quality an pride. 3 things sadly missin from most of football today.

Berate me for my views, I dont mind. They're mine, you have yours. But like alot of people I hanker for the days when scorin a goal meant Kenny's beamin smile, not Shreks' gurnin.......when winnin came first, not the size of the paycheck an when TV had a say every now and then, not every game thats played like now.

I'm done, I need a drink!! ???
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:04 pm

Although Ade makes some valid points he is effectively asking that the wheel be uninvented. There's no going back now.

What I propose is scrapping the League Cup and scrapping most friendly international fixtures. That wouldn't be radical, but it would help matters.....slightly.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:11 am

Liverpool is actually partly to blame for the Champions League.  We are a member of G-14 and as such we lobied for the creation of the champions league along with the likes of Man U, Real, Barca, Lyon, Milan, Juventus and Marseille and we were amongst those threatening UEFA with a break-away european league featuring all of the biggest clubs.  G-14, not Champions League is football's murderer because we caused the creation of the Champions League, we created the system of top 4's and so forth in order to avoid having to fight for a solitary champions league spot.  G-14 is the monster that is killing international football. G-14 uses the law to do it too. Football is unique in the way it works with contracts and so forth and G-14 has highlighted that and is beginning to use the law to destroy the game of football.  At the highest level its no longer about beating your opponents on the park, its about putting them out of business.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:18 am

I think whoever thinks that FA CUP , League CUP is better than CL, that person is on drugs.

Just think if this season Liverpool is not in CL , i sure that RB will still in Valencia and I belived SG will playing for R.M .
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:27 am

Exactly
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion