Rafa stays positive

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:11 pm

Rafael Benitez felt Liverpool deserved to beat Chelsea but said the game turned on two things with the non award of a clear penalty and the injury to Xabi Alonso. 
The Liverpool manager said the decision not to award a penalty for a clear handball by Tiago was hard to take but refused to criticise the referee Mike Riley.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said Liverpool should have had at least one penalty and television evidence proved two should have been given after Florent Sinama-Pongolle was hauled down in the box by William Gallas.

Benitez said: "In my opinion we played very well and controlled the first half. Two things changed the game for me, the injury to Xabi Alonso and the penalty not being given.

"I haven't spoken to the referee about the penalty and I don't like to do that or talk about the referee, but it is clear for all to see on the TV.

"At the end of the game I can only say congratulations and well done to my players for the way we played against one of the best teams in England.

"What we have to do now is keep our confidence and we need to concentrate on the next game which is Norwich on Monday."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby vlady16.1 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:43 pm

i luv the class of rafa -- he knows, we all know, the game was stolen -- he could have moaned like a certain mancs, but no -- no excuses, kept it postive -- on to the next victim

AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED IT IS 2-1 LIVERPOOL  and you can't tell me otherwise
vlady16.1

Postby bigmick » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Don't know about 2-1. I thought the Pongolle one was touch and go to be honest. It would have been a soft penalty if he had given it in my view. Out by the touchline? yes you'll get them all day long but in the box? not very often. Wrong I know but there you are. If they had been given a penalty for the same thing in our box I know we would all have gone berserk anyhow.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:50 pm

Fair results should had been 1-1 if the ref wasn't such a tw@t
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:44 pm

2-1..traore should have scored the 1-1 chance. I know i would have scored that....  :angry:
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:27 pm

It's easier said than done.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:43 pm

Alonso should of been a step or two ahead to take that cross in the box and he would of scored.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:41 pm

No "if" and "but". We were robbed, period. That said, we played two of the best team on the land off the park, all this with a patched up team with key players injured. Rafa is a gentleman, but deep down it hurts. Watch his facial expression during the interview again.
Stay positive...you betcha. We still have weaknesses in the team to patch but this is still early days for Rafa. With time and proper finances, we will be allright!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:46 pm

a draw would have been a fair result.
but i cant be too angry because we played some class football. even my chelski mate admitted wed been mugged.
Traore was showboating as well, good to see him have a good game.
We definately need a striker or two tho, and im pretty confident about top 4 now even tho we lost
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:03 pm

I would have liked to have seen Chelsea play when behind. They might not have coped with their counter-attacking style. Have they ever (this season) come from behind? I do not think so. Thanks to that tw@t we will not know.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:30 am

You obiviously didn't see Man City vs. Chelsea a few months back when Chelsea were trailing from the first 10 minutes of the game.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby liamac » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:52 am

yes but that was Mancity not us ........ ???
liamac
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion