Tottenham Hotspur news

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 pm

I was talking to my Spurs mate I met on the flight to the CL final in Madrid in the wake of Pochettino being fired and Maureen being appointed.

He's upset Poch left but understands, thinks he got too close to the players being referred to by Kane and Ali as my 'good friend' and didn't act as a Klopp, Pep, Maureeen style of dominant boss urging the players to over achieve.

There's a feeling Maureen being appointed is a sign of far bigger changes. He thinks the club is being sold, possibly to Amazon! So far there are no stadium naming rights, they spent a fortune on a stadium that has a completely separate NFL pitch (see incredible video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScPBxYAmNtg ) and will shortly announce a full time London NFL team. So two sports, one stadium, global media coverage and deep pocketed owners to make this reality that wanted someone of Maureen's status in charge of the footy. Spurs will be first through the door with a custom stadium to host NFL with anyone else interested having to play catch up. So it takes sport to the next level of franchises, global sports management and media exposure courtesy of a mega giant owner possibly looking to invest in new araes with the anti-monopoly attention they're getting at the moment, ie not running it not as a hobby as at City or Chelsea but as an integrated part of a business empire.

Scary stuff for everyone else as Spurs would quickly become the dominant team in London, maybe the UK and Poch wasn't seen as mature enough to run it.

You heard it here first.  :kungfu:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm

Maureen is not a manager that I would build a project around and he does not know attractive football. If you want to build a superteam London would be the obvious choice.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Like said above, Mourinho isn't the person for long term projects. Honestly I can't see Spurs coming back up in the near future, unless they start spending crazy money, which obviously won't happen. Last season was their highest moment, they're going back to mediocrity now, where they belong.

As for the other stuff, I think it sounds a bit overambitious for a team like Tottenham. I think you're blowing it out of proportion there a bit Reg. It might be a simplistic view from me, but I don't think Tottenham will ever achieve anything in anything, unless they start spending crazy money a la Man City. They're just not big enough of a club.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:00 pm

damjan193 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:35 pm wrote: I think you're blowing it out of proportion there a bit Reg.

Dude they just spent 1 billion pounds on a stadium, if that's not ambitious... and they wouldn't have built in such an expensive and extravagant NFL pitch unless there was a long term plan behind it. (did you watch the vid?).  No one would have said City or Chelsea were about to build EPL and CL winning teams until the new ownership plans were announced, maybe the stadium gives a pretty strong inkling of whats going on. Hiding in plain sight?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Reg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:00 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:35 pm wrote: I think you're blowing it out of proportion there a bit Reg.

Dude they just spent 1 billion pounds on a stadium, if that's not ambitious... and they wouldn't have built in such an expensive and extravagant NFL pitch unless there was a long term plan behind it. (did you watch the vid?).  No one would have said City or Chelsea were about to build EPL and CL winning teams until the new ownership plans were announced, maybe the stadium gives a pretty strong inkling of whats going on. Hiding in plain sight?

Didn't say it was unambitious, I said it's overambitious. It won't work for a team like Spurs, and if it does, bigger teams will surpass them with their own strategy very quickly. That's my opinion. 

City and Chelsea announced far simpler plans - "We'll buy and overpay everything that has two functional legs until we get it right". Spurs will never do that IMO.

If it were Man United or even Arsenal, I might have thought different, but with Tottenham, I just can't see it Reg mate.

Time will tell I guess.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Return to Premiership - General Discussion