World cup 2018

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Posting images of ex-Everton players is probably not the best thing to do on a Liverpool forum!

Re today's game Russia did well but the Saudi's looked awful, some decent match ups tomorrow though (Uruguay v Egypt (Mo v Suarez) and Spain v Portugal)
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:54 pm

As long as its an entertaining tournament I'll stay tuned. I'm hoping we don't see boresome matches like we did in the Euros with one team ultra defensive and the oppo struggling to break the attack.

Even though Saudi are poor Russia has made a positive start to the tournament.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby killerp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 am

Great to see its going to be on at reasonable time here in the West, I thought the time difference were going to be ***** for watching the matches[/quote]

8pm for me, f'ing prime time!! :cool:

Can't wait. Will it be a vintage French side that shows up or the shambolic media freak show? either way it will be entertaining.
killerp

Postby killerp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:34 pm wrote:Posting images of ex-Everton players is probably not the best thing to do on a Liverpool forum!...

I have done much worse  :blush:

Shame he never became a Liverpool player, that man is a legend of the game. Just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2tmftLN2lY
killerp

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Cahill a legend of the game?  :laugh:
Anyway Fekir came on as a sub for the French against the Aussie's, he didn't do anything spectacular but he does look good on the ball. Shame about his knee  :(
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Bloody robbed by the French diving team and it would be that MANC player to score a lucky goal

Least we didn't get punished at the end and have a tournament ending goal difference result
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Today was the first time a VAR penalty was given (or the first I've seen). What are your thoughts about it?

IMO, France were very lucky to win today. If this game was played a few years ago, they might not have scored at all!
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:23 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 pm wrote:Today was the first time a VAR penalty was given (or the first I've seen). What are your thoughts about it?

IMO, France were very lucky to win today. If this game was played a few years ago, they might not have scored at all!

My thoughts on the VAR and they would have been same if the decision had favoured Australia or Liverpool

This technology was supposed to be introduced to take the controversy out of decisions and rid the game of human error
From what I seen from this match and other matches,  it still falls a long way short of that
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:50 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:14 pm wrote:Today was the first time a VAR penalty was given (or the first I've seen). What are your thoughts about it?

I think it was a pen, although the Aussie player got a slight touch on the ball Griezemann still had it under control and was going through on goal when he was taken out by the defenders trailing leg.
The winning goal was jammy as hell though, Australia could have had 3 keepers between the sticks and they still wouldn't have kept that out. Saying that I wonder how accurate that goal line technology is, the ball didn't look completely over the line to me.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Well Germany looked really poor today. They played at a slow tempo and it helped Mexico's pressing style. No idea why Lowe decided to play 5 Center Mids in (Muller, Khedira, Kroos, Ozil, Draxler) but having no pace really made it easy for Mexico. Next game they might start with Reus and Brandt otherwise they might be the first shock exit.

Not been impressed with any team this far.. I think we could do quite well this year.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Coutinho with a typical belter. 1-0 Brazil
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Germany was ridiculous today, no pace in that team whatsoever. Leaving out Sane from the WC is coming back to haunt them.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Thought Brazil looked brilliant first 30 minutes and was thinking they were gonna light this tournament up.. but Switzerland had a good game plan of Suffocating them every time they got the ball, especially Neymar. Everytime Neymar got the ball Behrami was straight on him kicking him and stopping him.

Alot of these smaller nations are playing alot like us in the champions league ..  high energy and catching teams on the counter.

I actually think we'll do well this WC the PL is the quickest league in the world and all our players play in that league. I think we can overwhelm the bigger teams with this Suffocating tactic.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:58 am

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:06 pm wrote:Thought Brazil looked brilliant first 30 minutes and was thinking they were gonna light this tournament up.. but Switzerland had a good game plan of Suffocating them every time they got the ball, especially Neymar. Everytime Neymar got the ball Behrami was straight on him kicking him and stopping him.

Alot of these smaller nations are playing alot like us in the champions league ..  high energy and catching teams on the counter.

I actually think we'll do well this WC the PL is the quickest league in the world and all our players play in that league. I think we can overwhelm the bigger teams with this Suffocating tactic.

Problem is that England never seem to play it like a PL game.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:59 am

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:06 pm wrote:Thought Brazil looked brilliant first 30 minutes and was thinking they were gonna light this tournament up.. but Switzerland had a good game plan of Suffocating them every time they got the ball, especially Neymar. Everytime Neymar got the ball Behrami was straight on him kicking him and stopping him.

Problem is that England never seem to play it like a PL game.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion