Liverpool v Spudz

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm

A fixture i used to dread when George Graham used to bring his well drilled and disciplined team to Anfield and Sheringham was a thorn not exclusive to our side but a spike  to the flapping rips of all our defenders for 90 mins plus ,but these days the Spudz are a far more expressive unit capable of the type of football we ourselves used to produce under Benitez in our more expansive use of the pitch.

Saying that I think we are well capable of playing these Whelk eating Cockney ***** off the proverbial park and introducing the words 'what the f*ck just hit us' to the Argentinian's use of the English language.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Time to get some revenge for the battering we took at Wembley earlier in the season.

Van Dijk must start and we need him to keep hold of Kane.

This is going to be a very tough match and imo possibly tougher than against City, Mannure, Chelsea and Arsenal.
Spurs want to get back into the Champions league spots and will want nothing but 3 points.
Their victory of mannure will have given them a good confidence booster.

A draw will not be a bad result for us but if we win it will create a nice cushion between us and them.

Defensively we must stay focused and uptop Mane, Firmy and Salah must take their chances.

Nervously looking forward to this.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Franky000 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 pm

this will be another high scoring game, I predict 4-3 to us
Franky000

Postby maguskwt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:00 am

Franky000 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:18 pm wrote:this will be another high scoring game, I predict 4-3 to us

Ok Franky goes to Hollywood...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:04 pm

We need to beat the Teams around us, with Spurs hot on our heels.

If our defence holds out, and we stay tight at the back we can win this game. We need to stop Kane, Ali, Ericsson, Son etc who are very effective going forward.

If we do what we did against City and concede three, then it will be difficult.

The key area is the Midfield. I would play wjnaldum, Ox, Can, and not milner or hendo. None of our midfield are brilliant, however, we need to stop Spurs going forward.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:27 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Really Looking forward to this one. If we drop off like united did they will pick us off at there leisure .

Mad high press i say, i wonder will Vertongen be so brave with mad runs from the back , cant see it somehow

Can see us edging this one 3-0  :D

Id like to see Mane and salah switched, Mane back on the right where he was more effective. Salah will be great anywhere  :buttrock
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Our midfield need to turn up for this, for some reason Dembele always seems to play well against us, he seems to be able to hold onto the ball for ages (our players just literally bounce off him) so hopefully someone with a bit of strength like Emre can bustle him out of his stride.
If we stop him waltzing around the pitch like he owns it I think we can beat them, if we let him run with the ball and breeze past our midfielders like they aren't there then we are going to be in for a tough afternoon imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mikz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Agree Yakka..i was trying not to think about him lol - he was motm against utd - they couldnt get near him  :oops:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Never really worry too much about home games v our rivals to be honest. If spurs come here and play an expansive game, we will beat them comfortably. If they come here and sit back somewhat, then it could be bit of a tricky afternoon unless we get an early goal. Gut instinct is I think they will come here and have a go and we will end up with a fairly comfortable 2-0/3-1 victory.
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:56 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:29 pm wrote:Our midfield need to turn up for this, for some reason Dembele always seems to play well against us, he seems to be able to hold onto the ball for ages (our players just literally bounce off him) so hopefully someone with a bit of strength like Emre can bustle him out of his stride.
If we stop him waltzing around the pitch like he owns it I think we can beat them, if we let him run with the ball and breeze past our midfielders like they aren't there then we are going to be in for a tough afternoon imo.

Agree, couple of seasons ago, the game ended up a draw but I remember our midfielders just bouncing off Dembele. Even Can, who is a strong lad couldn't match up to him physically. Was watching their game v Utd midweek and Dembele was bossing Pogba to. A lot of premiership midfielders have mentioned him being the hardest opponent they have come up against so it's not only our lads that struggle up against him.
Doeboy

Postby Boocity » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:57 am

Mikz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:23 pm wrote:Really Looking forward to this one. If we drop off like united did they will pick us off at there leisure .

Mad high press i say, i wonder will Vertongen be so brave with mad runs from the back , cant see it somehow

Can see us edging this one 3-0  :D

Id like to see Mane and salah switched, Mane back on the right where he was more effective. Salah will be great anywhere  :buttrock

I agree about switching Mane and Salah. Mane was far more effective on the right and in the last few games Salah has been so heavily marked that he is being stopped from cutting inside for the shot. It may do both of them good. It will certainly mess up the oppositions tactics
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm gonna stick my neck out and predict that this game will finish 3-2, to us.
I think Spurs will definitely score, and our midfield and defence will be seriously tested. Our defence has been shaky all season, and I believe we will need to score three to win.

Mane was cr*p last game so he needs to buck his ideas up.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am

I like Matip but I would like to see Lovren and VVD in the defence today. I thinķ VVD has the tendency to try to intercept the ball high up on the pitch leaving the other Center half isolated if VVD mis-times it.

I saw it happen on a few occasions in the West Brom game.. but Matip hasn't got the pace to cover for these types of errors and it cost us.

Thing is you put a £75m price tag on a defenders head and it adds alot of pressure and expectations. I think VVD thinks he has to win every ball and rushes into challenges and tries to intercept balls he's never going to get.

I'm saying this but Lovren did the same thing I'm accusing VVD of doing in the spurs game at Wembley where he got done twice by Kane.

We just need to keep it tight and not rush our decision making because Spurs lack pace in forward areas.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:53 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:58 am wrote:I like Matip but I would like to see Lovren and VVD in the defence today. I thinķ VVD has the tendency to try to intercept the ball high up on the pitch leaving the other Center half isolated if VVD mis-times it.

I saw it happen on a few occasions in the West Brom game.. but Matip hasn't got the pace to cover for these types of errors and it cost us.

Thing is you put a £75m price tag on a defenders head and it adds alot of pressure and expectations. I think VVD thinks he has to win every ball and rushes into challenges and tries to intercept balls he's never going to get.

I'm saying this but Lovren did the same thing I'm accusing VVD of doing in the spurs game at Wembley where he got done twice by Kane.

We just need to keep it tight and not rush our decision making because Spurs lack pace in forward areas.

Yeah I tend to agree, Lovren does have games where he is a walking disaster area but most of the time he is pretty solid.
If Jurgen could master the art of spotting that Dejan is about to have an off day early on (before too much damage is done) and get him off the pitch sharpish we could have a decent defence because as I say, 90% of the time Dejan is a good defender.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games