Sweet silver song of a lark?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:11 pm

It goes back to the booing issue which I highlighted a few months ago. Sadly, over time, we have become "customers" with a mentality that if you have paid to get in, you are entitled to show your displeasure by acting like a w@nker.
When I was growing up it felt more of a privilege that I was allowed to be part of something special. When I went through the turnstiles, I was home and I shared good and not so good times with thousands of others. I looked up to those men who watched the game and swayed in the Kop, singing and enjoying the experience. It was a time I'll never forget and without sounding like a romantic weirdo, it was an honour and a pleasure to have been in such a situation. I was lucky in the extreme because I began watching LFC when we started to dominate england and then europe. Todays supporters arent so fortunate and have watched quite a lot of people coming in and trying to emulate those glory days without much success. How could they?? Granted we have won various trophies since 1990, but the title is still a dream that doesnt look like becoming a reality any time soon. I dont blame the fans for being frustrated, but if they truly want to support the club then do things which benefit the manager and the players. Not things which have a negative effect.
In my eyes there is no justification whatsoever for booing, and I would rather people left the ground than do that. But, when we have a new manager who needs our help and support, at least give him some encouragement instead of abandoning him. We all must take heed of what he says because if we want to be successful and have any hope of winning the Premier league, then it wont happen without, as Shanks put it "The Holy Trinity- the players, the mangers and the supporters" doing it together.
Nothing else will work
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:11 pm wrote:It goes back to the booing issue which I highlighted a few months ago. Sadly, over time, we have become "customers" with a mentality that if you have paid to get in, you are entitled to show your displeasure by acting like a w@nker.
When I was growing up it felt more of a privilege that I was allowed to be part of something special. When I went through the turnstiles, I was home and I shared good and not so good times with thousands of others. I looked up to those men who watched the game and swayed in the Kop, singing and enjoying the experience. It was a time I'll never forget and without sounding like a romantic weirdo, it was an honour and a pleasure to have been in such a situation. I was lucky in the extreme because I began watching LFC when we started to dominate england and then europe. Todays supporters arent so fortunate and have watched quite a lot of people coming in and trying to emulate those glory days without much success. How could they?? Granted we have won various trophies since 1990, but the title is still a dream that doesnt look like becoming a reality any time soon. I dont blame the fans for being frustrated, but if they truly want to support the club then do things which benefit the manager and the players. Not things which have a negative effect.
In my eyes there is no justification whatsoever for booing, and I would rather people left the ground than do that. But, when we have a new manager who needs our help and support, at least give him some encouragement instead of abandoning him. We all must take heed of what he says because if we want to be successful and have any hope of winning the Premier league, then it wont happen without, as Shanks put it "The Holy Trinity- the players, the mangers and the supporters" doing it together.
Nothing else will work
:no

I agree with the highlighted bit above.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:30 pm

But not the rest of it...?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:30 pm wrote:But not the rest of it...?
???

The highlighted bit is an objective view point which I agree with.  :D
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Thommo I was at a match last season and a certain muppet a few seats away from me arrived ten minutes late and disappeared five minutes before half time. He then returned to his seat five minutes after half time and left ten minutes before the end. As a result of his somewhat ridiculous behaviour he actually missed three goals !! This sort of stuff has been going on for ages. Ticket prices at are an all time high and so are the wages of socalled top players. In a lot of instances fans are paying a crazy percentage of their weekly wage to support their team. Is it any wonder that they show their disgust by walking out when they witness a lack of effort or a performance level commensurate with their massively overblown wages. I have never arrived late or left early. I have alao never booed the team and never will. That is not to say that I don't understand why some fans feel the need to display their disgust.

Its quite easy really, if the team performs then so do the fans !!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:01 pm

devaney » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:15 pm wrote:Thommo I was at a match last season and a certain muppet a few seats away from me arrived ten minutes late and disappeared five minutes before half time. He then returned to his seat five minutes after half time and left ten minutes before the end. As a result of his somewhat ridiculous behaviour he actually missed three goals !! This sort of stuff has been going on for ages. Ticket prices at are an all time high and so are the wages of socalled top players. In a lot of instances fans are paying a crazy percentage of their weekly wage to support their team. Is it any wonder that they show their disgust by walking out when they witness a lack of effort or a performance level commensurate with their massively overblown wages. I have never arrived late or left early. I have alao never booed the team and never will. That is not to say that I don't understand why some fans feel the need to display their disgust.

Unfortunately I have to agree^^^ It's a painful truth but one that will not go away as long as big money controls the game we love.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Its just modern football lads and how fickle the game have become  :nod No one wants to sit in a freezing stadium watching your team play complete shyte.

That place was half empty before the 80th minute and deserted when the 4th went in  :laugh: It was silent also except for one small corner full of our fans in full voice  :nod
If that score was on their side there would not have been an empty seat in the place and the fans would be lifting the roof off the place.  :nod

Its obviously a bigger problem at other clubs.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:13 pm

devaney wrote:Thommo I was at a match last season and a certain muppet a few seats away from me arrived ten minutes late and disappeared five minutes before half time. He then returned to his seat five minutes after half time and left ten minutes before the end. As a result of his somewhat ridiculous behaviour he actually missed three goals !! This sort of stuff has been going on for ages. Ticket prices at are an all time high and so are the wages of socalled top players. In a lot of instances fans are paying a crazy percentage of their weekly wage to support their team. Is it any wonder that they show their disgust by walking out when they witness a lack of effort or a performance level commensurate with their massively overblown wages. I have never arrived late or left early. I have alao never booed the team and never will. That is not to say that I don't understand why some fans feel the need to display their disgust.

Its the chicken and the egg then? Do we support them because they play well. or do they play well because we support them?
To have the cheek to sing the words to YNWA and then fu'ck off when the team needs us is unbelievable! I have walked out early in my time, the Souness era to be exact, because I was deeply unhappy with what he had done to MY club. Not because I was fickle, but because he brought us to our knees with his arrogance and stupidity. We havent really recovered since, but there is a definite revival. This is what the manager is talking about. Dont be fickle, support the team, especially if theyre struggling at the end of a game. Yes, we have been in a rut and our defensive frailties were once again exposed against palace. But wouldnt it have been an amazing thing if people would have stayed and got behind the new manager? That would have set a new standard and sent a message loud and clear that we were on our way back.
Im not suggesting that we be happy with sh'ite being served up as I know how much a ticket is. What I am suggesting is that we return to being the envy of every other club by our actions and the support which we are known all around the world. If this is discussed by people who go the match then it will change sooner rather than later. If we just accept that "thats the way it is" then theres no chance of it happening.
WE have to make the change
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby maguskwt » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

I think the fans should make a distinction whether the team is losing despite actually trying very hard or losing and not trying hard/ playing like Sh*t. In the match against palace the fans leaving early was disappointing because clearly the team was trying very hard on the field. Klopp's philosophy is to never give up till the end, and that's what he called out on the players on their believe. Similarly he called out the supporters who left early to support the team until the final whistle..
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:31 pm

I know it doesn't affect us, but did you see the way the ground emptied last night at the Etihad?
This is a club that has won 2 PL in the last 3 seasons and are still in the CL. That's an embarrassment to the whole of English Football not just the club.
----
As a club LFC should be very observant and know that WE do not want to become this!
Club elitism is also to blame and while LFC stays attached to its working class roots we will be OK!
The minute we begin to believe that we are better people than the likes of Leicester, Watford or Stoke, then we WILL become the same spilt ar$es as the likes of Chel$ki, Man $hitie etc...

European Royalty we may be - but not Europe's elitist snobs.
As Chuck D would say
"Don't Believe The Hype!"
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion