Joey Jones

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Gerrard30391 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:39 am

Not been around on here for a while but shall pop me head up again from time to time.

Just thought I'd mention that I'm going for a night with Joey Jones tonight. Whilst he was way before my time, I've done some research and seen some footage of him, and I'm very intrigued as to what he has to say. I shall let you all know when I've been, I'm sure it shall be a very good night.

Went to one of these with Mike Summerbee last year and it was a belter of an evening so I hope this is as good!
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 am

Hope you had a good night.  Looking forward to hearing how it went.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:40 pm

joey will probably tell you himself that he wasnt the greatest of footballers but he more than made up for any lack of technique with a big heart and will to win.
he was a character joey and a favourite of the kop, mainly because he was a tough lad who took no prisoners, and back then every team needed players like joey to make sure no one bullied you out of games.
he was our left back right throughout the 76/77 season which is probably the greatest season in our history.
as everyone knows that was the season we won our first european cup but also we only just missed out on doing the treble and that was back in the days when the double had only been achieved twice in a century, never mind a treble.
i know united did it in 99 but by then doubles were common, for instance the double was done in 94 (united), 96 (united), 98 (arsenal), 99 (united) and 2002 (arsenal).
more doubles were achieved in the 8 years between 94-02 than in the previous 100 years which goes to show how the influx of money warped the competativeness of the english game.
in 77 we lost to united in the F.A cup final and what made it even more galling was that we battered them on the day and their goals were probably the flukiest goals ever scored in a final, to be fair to the united players back then they said in the press they got lucky.
still, what an incredible achievement by that 77 side, to get that close to winning the treble back in the days when footy was competative and before huge squads is amazing.
joey is a legend.

the european cup final     25th may 1977       rome

liverpool team

1. clemence
2. neal
3. JONES
4. smith
5. kennedy
6. hughes
7. keegan
8. case
9. heighway
10. callaghan
11. mcdermott
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Gerrard30391 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:06 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:joey will probably tell you himself that he wasnt the greatest of footballers but he more than made up for any lack of technique with a big heart and will to win.
he was a character joey and a favourite of the kop, mainly because he was a tough lad who took no prisoners, and back then every team needed players like joey to make sure no one bullied you out of games.
he was our left back right throughout the 76/77 season which is probably the greatest season in our history.
as everyone knows that was the season we won our first european cup but also we only just missed out on doing the treble and that was back in the days when the double had only been achieved twice in a century, never mind a treble.
i know united did it in 99 but by then doubles were common, for instance the double was done in 94 (united), 96 (united), 98 (arsenal), 99 (united) and 2002 (arsenal).
more doubles were achieved in the 8 years between 94-02 than in the previous 100 years which goes to show how the influx of money warped the competativeness of the english game.
in 77 we lost to united in the F.A cup final and what made it even more galling was that we battered them on the day and their goals were probably the flukiest goals ever scored in a final, to be fair to the united players back then they said in the press they got lucky.
still, what an incredible achievement by that 77 side, to get that close to winning the treble back in the days when footy was competative and before huge squads is amazing.
joey is a legend.

the european cup final     25th may 1977       rome

liverpool team

1. clemence
2. neal
3. JONES
4. smith
5. kennedy
6. hughes
7. keegan
8. case
9. heighway
10. callaghan
11. mcdermott

Just about to leave, shall report back later!
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Gerrard30391 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:36 am

Just got back. The guys a great guy and a good laugh. His talks about Bill Shankleys team talks are the best! I'll share if you're interested (his one about the European cup final is the best). I'll post a photo tomorrow of what he looks like now. He's youth team coach at Wrexham at the minute!
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion