a 100 years ago about.....

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:21 am

....right now the white star liner the rms titanic went down with 1,514 souls on board.
because the white star head offices were in liverpool the ship was registered here and she carried the city`s name on her stern, infact a long corridor that ran through the ship was called scotland road after the famous scottie road in liverpool.
about a fifth of the crew were from liverpool, including the second in command Henry Tingle Wilde (R.I.P), the famous lookout who spotted the iceberg Fred Fleet, one of the famous band who kept on playing to the last Fred Clarke (R.I.P) and of course loads of the lads like the coalmen who decided to stay below decks and keep the generators running so the lights would stay on until the last possible moment (R.I.P).
there`s a memorial to those brave coalmen and stokers ect at the pier head.
because liverpool was the `port of the empire` and home to the head offices of hundreds of shipping lines (including the big ones like white star and cunard) it had a lot of other links to the titanic, harlaand and wolf the shipbuilders originally met in liverpool but couldnt find the room on the crowded liverpool waterfront to set up their shipbuilding business so they went to belfast instead, the captain edward smith was from staffordshire but he moved to liverpool at a young age and lived in waterloo, his daughter was born here and the likes of j. bruce ismay was from crosby near liverpool too.
R.I.P to all those souls that perished.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Return to General Chat Forum