9/11 where were you? - 10 years

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby neil » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:11 pm

This thread is on a few forums so I thought it would be interesting to read our accounts of that day. Personally I was at relatives just watchin the telly when the programme was  interrupted by a news flash that a passenger jet had collided into one of the twin towers, I was watching the pictures live when the other plane came into view and plummeted into the second tower, I was trying to work out how they had managed to show film of the first plane hitting the building even though there was already smoke bellowing up from the scene?? it was obviously a second plane but even the reporter couldnt quite factor in what had just occured. The rest of the day was just utterly astonishing and I really feared armagedon was about to erupt. As a result that night I ended up asking a girl out that I quite liked at the time, we ended up getting married and we have a beautiful little girl who is now nearly 8, thats my story. I think we can safely say that this was the most important day in our lives.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:49 pm

I was working as a supervisor in a factory that made curries (Nazir's) . I was in charge of about 50 lads who worked on various production lines . Now the owner of the factory Mr Nazir believed in employing foreign lads who had just arrived in the country and were willing to work long hours for shitty wages. So amongst the lads i was in charge of were Iraqi's,  Iranian's , kurds African's and a few scouser's and eastern European lads .

So at about 2 o'clock in the afternoon it comes over the radio that a plane had hit one of the twin towers . We all automatically thought that it was a terrible accident . Next thing " f.uck off " another plane hits the other tower . Now things start  getting said on the radio about terrorism and Muslims and osama bin laden and what not . Next thing all hell breaks lose in the factory . The Iranian's are blaming the Iraqi's ,the Iraqi's are blaming the Iranian's , the kurds are blaming both , the evertonians are blaming the kopites and everyone is knocking f.uck out of one another . I had to shut all the production lines down get the other supervisors from other parts of the factory and try and split up this mass brawl . It was feckin mayhem and after the ambulances and police had finished i got home at about 10 o'clock at night to tell the tale to the family . You couldn't have made it up it was utter madness.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:46 pm

I was a 14 year old high school student and I was at home studying for my exam (early exam in september) then the housekeeper (yes I have a housekeeper :D) asks me to tune the TV on because of some plane crashing in the US, once I turn on the TV the second plane just crashes into the second tower, I was shocked, I thought at first that the plane malfunctioned and had no safe ground to land, I just didn't believe it was a terrorist attack, unfortunately later I just knew  :(  .

I spent my high school years in an American School in Beirut, so the day after the attack the mood of the school was in total depression, most of my teachers were from the U.S and Canada and they didn't feel like teaching that day.

:(
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:20 pm

I was at work and remember one of the sales guys ran into the office shouting that a plane a crashed into the WTC, we all thought it was an accident and everyone dived onto the internet, when the second one went in, we new it was an attack.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:23 pm

I can only remember that I was at school, 13 years of age. Finished school and got home. My mam rushed in from work and ran for the telly, I was just intrigued more than anything so came out to have a look at what was going on. Then I watched the whole thing unfold, was like something out of a film, I think the whole world stood still in the aftermath, everyone I know was absolutely shell shocked.

The documentaries and everything on it are truly staggering and make for pretty depressing viewing :(

RIP to everyone, thoughts with them over the coming days. I remember being genuinely happy when America retaliated, perhaps that was my immaturity and lack of understanding at the time but that day made me angry, memories I'll carry for the rest of my life
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby ethanr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:58 pm

I was a 10 year old in elementary school.  I had just gotten to school when I heard, but the teachers basically tried not to tell us anything.  People were saying it was a terrorist attack, and I'd never heard of that before so I thought they were saying tourist attack.  I was thinking, "Why the hell are people who are visiting attacking the place?" 

I was too young to completely understand it right away, but after I got home and watched everything that happened I was definitely shocked.  Not really until I was older did I understand how horrible it was.

To those who lost their lives and their families, RIP, YNWA.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:53 pm

I was living and working in England (when I was a gas enginner), finished work around 1:00pm that day, went home, had a few beers and was smoking a doobey, then the news of 9/11 popped up on the TV.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Was in my 2nd year at uni and I had taken a part time job working in a local bar. I think it was my 2nd week on the job and I remember it all breaking in front of me as I was having my brekkie (we had Sky News on the tele in the pub). It still shocks me now to see the footage of that 2nd plane and the towers collapsing.

BTW Semi related but if people haven't seen it I highly recommend watching 'The Path to 9/11', on FX. Starring Harvey Keitel it is the story of ex CIA agent John O'Neil, he came close to arresting 2 of the eventual hijakers however was forced to back off, and was later forced out of the CIA. He was also very close with the Afghan general Ahmad Shah Massoud, a key figure in driving out the Soviets. O'Niel later took a job as head of security at the twin towers, his first day - September 11th. I believe he died trying to evacuate staff. There is also a book on him - 'The Man who Warned America'.
Last edited by tubby on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:32 am

I was on a train from New Brunswick New Jersey to Newark when the first plane hit.  I was a warehouse manager at the time, but I'd set up the call centers for the company I worked for and had to go to hoboken that morning.  I was waiting for a PATH train when I noticed everyone looking at the one tower that had alot of smoke coming from what seemed near the top.  All of a sudden.  noticed a plane going from left to right.  Wham.  Fireball.  I just simply said "Oh F.uck Off"  The anger inside me was something I'd never felt before.  The clear attack on human lives had me simply stunned.Cell phone service was a mess so I used a pay phone to call my cousin who worked at WTC.  He was just getting to work when the first plane hit and thought "F.uck this I'm not going up there"

It seemed like not much time had passed until the towers came tumbling down.  After that a co-worker and I went into a bar near the station in Newark and got completely smashed with dozens of others.  It was a quiet drinking session  No annimosity towards who had done it (although we had already suspected Bin Laden the second the second plane hit).  I knew a couple that were on their way to California that went down in the field in Pennsylvania, couldn't believe a honeymoon could end like that.

I had eight friends who lost their lives that day.  I wonder sometimes what their lives would be like now, had the attack not happened.  I wonder what the world would be like now had it not happened.  No senseless war, maybe the economy would have been stronger etc.  Most of all though, I miss my friends.

RIP for all who died on 9/11
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 am

i was 30 at the time. my mum & dad had come over from wales amd stayed over at mine the night before cos they had an early flight from manchester airport that mornin to go on the holiday of a lifetime, a month in canada as they'd both retired. got up at 4am, drove them to the airport and saw them off then drove home and went back to bed. had a bit of a lazy morning then drove down to the office in sale after dinner. just as i was coming round the corner to the office there was something on the radio about a plane crash in new york and they thought the wreckage had hit the WTC or something

"weird" i thought, then i got into the office and it was empty - everyone was crammed into the conference room watching the telly on the wall and then the 2nd plane hit. i absolutely couldn't believe my eyes, like watchign armageddon unfold. spent the rest of the day trying to get on the phone to scandinavian airlines to find out where the hell my mum & dad's plane was and for hours they didn't have a clue whether it had made it top canada or turned back for europe. eventually found out the day after it had been forced to land at goose bay nato airbase in newfoundland along with every single other transatlantic flight that day. they spent 2 nights on camp beds in a big gym hall and luckily were one of the first flights out of there and on to toronto

absolutely shocking day, the most vivid thing i'd ever seen in my life and probably ever will
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:20 am

Kenny Kan wrote:I was living and working in England (when I was a gas enginner), finished work around 1:00pm that day,

Working for British gas then, sounds about right  :D
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:42 am

I was in school.  At 15 years old, I couldnt really understand why it happened and the affect it would have on the world going forward.

I spent the evening watching the horror unfold on the news.  Shocking scenes. 
The part that made me most uncomfortable was watching some other country celebrating with their kids an all like they'd just won a world cup.  Guess it was Afghanistan or something...
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby babu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:29 pm

I was in London having left new York a few days earlier. We only had a few days in NY and on the last day we went up the towers, but it was raining and we couldn't go to the observation deck. We thought never mind, relatively short hop from London to NY. We'd go back.

That day remains the strangest day of my life, simply could not believe what I saw on TV.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:16 pm

I was in Sicily with my wife visiting some cousins. They were nattering away in Italian and I watching tv out of the corner of my eye when suddenly the second plane slammed into the WTC. I nearly fell off my chair. Being in unfamilar surroundings made it more unreal.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 pm

I was sat in the office. Not been in long as I was gigging the night before and slept in a bit longer than normal. Sat down and fired up bbc website to catch up on some news. The header at the top showed both towers on fire - i was gob smacked.

A few weeks later a mainstream US country music artist wrote and performed a song at the CMA awards. Most of you probably will never have seen it or heard it but please, even if you don't like Country Music, give it a watch just once...

http://youtu.be/fvj6zdWLUuk

RIP 9/11
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum