9/11 where were you? - 10 years

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Greavesie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:55 pm

I've watched it, cheers for that.

Doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, that will have affected everyone in some way. I don't really remember my feelings in the aftermath but everytime I flick around the telly and there's a documentary on it or anything I find it absolutely compelling viewing, still surreal even to this day - I don't think I'll ever get my head around it
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Gerrard30391 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Was a wee 10 year old boy, just got in from school and turned the telly on. Went to the shoe shop to get me some new shoes for the new term, by the time I'd come back one of the towers was gone :(
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:28 pm

RIP to everyone who perished in those tragic events 10 years ago. Heart goes out to all affected, thoughts are with you. YNWA

:( :(
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Was on my way to Tesco, believe it or not....I did a u-turn on the road, hammered it back home and sat in front of the box all day....Unbelievable compelling viewing for all the wrong reasons.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:56 pm

i was on holidays in benicassim in spain at the time.it was close to 1 o clock and went back to the apartment for lunch,banged on the tv and everything was going crazy with news flashes.
i called out to the missus to have a look that a plane had crashed in ny.we could see people jumping out of the burning tower then wham a plane hits the second tower.
that day and those images will forever be etched into my mind as one of the most surreal events i ever witnessed.
god bless the souls of all those who's lives were taken that day by the actions of a warped minority.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:31 pm

The Good Yank wrote:I was on a train from New Brunswick New Jersey to Newark when the first plane hit.  I was a warehouse manager at the time, but I'd set up the call centers for the company I worked for and had to go to hoboken that morning.  I was waiting for a PATH train when I noticed everyone looking at the one tower that had alot of smoke coming from what seemed near the top.  All of a sudden.  noticed a plane going from left to right.  Wham.  Fireball.  I just simply said "Oh F.uck Off"  The anger inside me was something I'd never felt before.  The clear attack on human lives had me simply stunned.Cell phone service was a mess so I used a pay phone to call my cousin who worked at WTC.  He was just getting to work when the first plane hit and thought "F.uck this I'm not going up there"

It seemed like not much time had passed until the towers came tumbling down.  After that a co-worker and I went into a bar near the station in Newark and got completely smashed with dozens of others.  It was a quiet drinking session  No annimosity towards who had done it (although we had already suspected Bin Laden the second the second plane hit).  I knew a couple that were on their way to California that went down in the field in Pennsylvania, couldn't believe a honeymoon could end like that.

I had eight friends who lost their lives that day.  I wonder sometimes what their lives would be like now, had the attack not happened.  I wonder what the world would be like now had it not happened.  No senseless war, maybe the economy would have been stronger etc.  Most of all though, I miss my friends.

RIP for all who died on 9/11

Jesus, mate, I can't even imagine what that would have been like.  :(

I was in my office reading and decided to turn the radio on, which I never do.  Nor am I prone to being in the office that early in the morning (before 9AM).  Nonetheless, there I was and I was one of the first around the place to hear the reports.  I spread the word and most of us spent the day in the pub, watching events unfold on the big screen and staring morosely into our cups.

I watched some of the memorial service this morning.  Very tasteful it was and the new memorial site looks brilliant.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Just got back from Central Park.  Was a bit of a different ceremony there.  It was in remembrance to 9/11 of course, but it was held at Strawberry Fields at the John Lennon "IMAGINE" mosaic.  More geared towards peace, more my thing.  Took the kids with me (Wife has to work today)  had a couple of beers with some friends in the park.  Very serene feeling in NYC today, everybody gives a nod of hello with eye contact.  Glad I was able to take the kids in and experience it.  Only my oldest was around when it happened, and she was only 20 months old then.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:44 pm

pub, watching events unfold on the big screen and staring morosely into our cups

you drink beer from cups over there. :D
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:27 am

i got married in central park a little over a year after the attacks (not far from srawberry fields as it happens). new york seemed pretty normal it has to be said, other than round ground zero. for a city that's just constant noise, chatter &  movement, everybody down there was just silent and their faces said all that needed to be said
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:50 am

Woollyback wrote:i got married in central park a little over a year after the attacks (not far from srawberry fields as it happens). new york seemed pretty normal it has to be said, other than round ground zero. for a city that's just constant noise, chatter &  movement, everybody down there was just silent and their faces said all that needed to be said

Sorry Wool, but do you mean around ground Zero or around Strawberry Fields?  I take the wife and kids to Strawberry Fields at least twice a year and there always is some atmosphere. 

On the night that US and NATO forces began to attack I was on the train again, heded for Madison Square Garden.  The New York Rangers were opening their season (first home game anyway) against the Buffalo Sabres (I'm reffering to NHL here).  Took my pregnant wife and little girl to the game.  Along with another friend of hers, paid about $1000 for tickets from scalpers to get in to the first sporting event in Manhattan since 9/11. 

The atmosphere was just amazing.  The NYPD and NYFD hockey teams lined up as the teams were presented.  Mark Messier (Rangers Captain) accepted a helmet of one of the fire Chiefs who had passed away during the pregame ceremony.  Officer Lim of the Porth authority PD who was the last to get out alive was sat a few rows in front of us.  Took a picture of him holding my daughter.  Shook his hand and just started crying.

The Rangers were losing 4-3 late in the game.  But the building knew that they couldn't lose on that night.  Sure enough.  They tied it up.  Game went into the 5:00 overtime. Local hero, Brian Leetch fired a wrist shot from the point into the top corner of the net to have the Rangers win 5-4.  The place went nuts.  I can still remember the USA USA chants in my mind. It was an incredible night at MSG.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRA0NKQ0k6E

:no

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:11 pm

working in ML in london, had been on the phone to the tower just before it got hit,my mate glen was sitting next was on the phone to someone in the first tower when it got hit, we was told it was a smal light plane, the person on the phone said it was a jet and saw it coming.

spent the next two weeks trying to find out how many we lost in both towers, it was not or main building, our main building was just outside it but we had a floor in there, another guy we worked with in our own office had gone over there the weeks before and was still there that day, he poped out to get something to eat just as the plane hit, he was so lucky, ml london was told there was a plane missing and it could be heading for london, we was told to get out of the building.

the next day walking back into work in londona plane come very low overheadf, london had a no fly zone at the time, about 200 of us hit the floor in liverpool st thinking it was about to hit the the natwest tower or another buildng.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRA0NKQ0k6E

let it go Bam, no need to stir some more sh!t in here
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:47 pm

The Good Yank wrote:
Woollyback wrote:i got married in central park a little over a year after the attacks (not far from srawberry fields as it happens). new york seemed pretty normal it has to be said, other than round ground zero. for a city that's just constant noise, chatter &  movement, everybody down there was just silent and their faces said all that needed to be said

Sorry Wool, but do you mean around ground Zero or around Strawberry Fields?  I take the wife and kids to Strawberry Fields at least twice a year and there always is some atmosphere. 

the atmosphere at ground zero - deathly quiet back then
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 pm

metalhead wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRA0NKQ0k6E

let it go Bam, no need to stir some more sh!t in here

Frankfurt Political Correctness MH, telling me to sweep it under the carpet and turn the other cheek. 'Can't stir s.hit', can't speak my mind, it has to be suppressed because apologists don't like it. pffft, feck off!

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum