Thoughtless..... - And by his own fans.

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Gerrard30391 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Police have confirmed a football fan died on Tuesday evening following an assault before England's Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales at Wembley.

The victim, in his 40s, suffered a heart attack at Wembley Stadium, in North London, before he was rushed to hospital with head injuries. He is understood to have been a Wales supporter.

Six suspects have been arrested, all of whom are understood to support the away team, a Scotland Yard spokesman said.

Emergency services were called to an area outside the ground at around 7.20pm, following reports of an assault shortly before kick-off.

A London Ambulance Service (LAS) spokesman said: "I can confirm that LAS got a call at 7.20pm to reports of an assault outside Wembley Stadium.

"Staff treated a 44-year-old man who had suffered a cardiac arrest. Extensive efforts were made to resuscitate the patient and he was taken to hospital."

Staff on stand-by at the international match, which England won 1-0, were on the scene within three minutes, the spokesman said.

The victim was taken to a North London hospital in an ambulance belonging to a private medical contractor employed by Wembley. He was pronounced dead at 8.50pm.

A post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course.

Police believe they have identified the victim but await formal confirmation that all his next of kin have been informed.

Officers from the Met's Homicide and Serious Crime Command are now investigating his death.

The married man's relatives were being informed of his death.

Cardiff have confirmed the victim was a supporter of the Championship club and issued a statement on their official website which read: "Late on Tuesday night, details reached us concerning a tragedy where a Wales and Cardiff City supporter died at the match between England and Wales.

"Out of respect for the family of the supporter, the sensitivity of the situation and until full details and circumstances are ascertained, no statements will be made until deemed fit by the proper channels."

_

Thought there may be discussions on here already but appears not. A man should never leave home to go to a football match and never return home again. Hope these 6 thugs get the hardest possible sentence. Times like these I contemplate capital punishment.

R.I.P
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Horrible news, hope the people who did it are found

RIP
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:26 am

Terrible. The man had kids for heavens sake, what happens to them, where will be their fatherly support when they need it.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion