Fifa considers axing extra time - What do u think?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:58 pm

FIFA Consider scrapping extra time

What do you guys think about this?   
i personally think some of it is too extreme but golden goal might not be bad.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Stupid idea.. possibly Golden Ball, but you cant just go straight to penalties
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:19 pm

dawson99 wrote:Stupid idea.. possibly Golden Ball, but you cant just go straight to penalties

Agreed.

Some of it is stupid alright.. defensive teams can be tough to watch but you can't just change the rules to try and prevent a valid tactic. (defending).

Some teams don't have the players to play attacking football.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Id like to see in extra time, every 3 minutes a player is taken off from each team, or the goal is made bigger every so often, thatd rock it
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:06 pm

It's either straight to pens or bring back that golden goal shyte. I say go straight to pens, at least you will have 2 teams really going for it for all of the 90 mins.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:32 am

straight to penalties and then let the two managers have a shoot out first to 5. now that would be a laugh. rafa versus mourinho whos your money on?
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:09 am

The only problem with extra time in 2-leg knockout competitions is that it gives the away side an unfair advantage with the away goal rules Fifa have in place...

My point is that if you draw 0-0 at home and its 0-0 at 90mins away to a side... You get an extra 30mins to score an away goal that counts for double while the opposition never got the same opportunity while playing at your ground...

Maybe a better idea would be to scrap the away goals rules past the 90minute mark ?!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:39 am

aCe' wrote:The only problem with extra time in 2-leg knockout competitions is that it gives the away side an unfair advantage with the away goal rules Fifa have in place...

My point is that if you draw 0-0 at home and its 0-0 at 90mins away to a side... You get an extra 30mins to score an away goal that counts for double while the opposition never got the same opportunity while playing at your ground...

Maybe a better idea would be to scrap the away goals rules past the 90minute mark ?!

Definitly.  Its so unfair that the away goal rule counts after 90 mins.  We may have won a Europa League if it wasnt for that.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Rather than sorting out Goal line technology, they place their priority elsewhere. Go figure eh?

As for scrapping extra time, I would be all for that. How many times have we watched a really drab match only to have some team score in the last minute of extra time to win it? I don't know about anyone else but this really annoys me ! Also, it would help with regards to maintaining the fitness levels of players for the next game.  Yeah I like this idea, it would benefit the minnows in football, especially if they have done well to hold a bigger team to a stalemate after 90 minutes.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:15 am

extra time isnt fair on the away team havin to play 30mins extra at the away stadium, so i think straight to pens is ok
brentd4

Postby burjennio » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:51 pm

aCe' wrote:The only problem with extra time in 2-leg knockout competitions is that it gives the away side an unfair advantage with the away goal rules Fifa have in place...

Thats one rule I never understood either, you have 90mins to score your away goal just like the other side had at your ground so why should you be given that extra advantage? Some say that it evens up having the fans on your side during extra time but c'mon, if you had the choice what option would you take? I guarantee 99% of coaches and players would choose the same
burjennio

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion