Frigging car garages - Bit of a rant

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Bought a car last year from a local dealer, they used to be a Ford dealer but now they're just a family business. Well, before I picked my new car up they did a major service on it. All has been well for 12 months and now my car needs an annual service so I took it into Ford dealer in Leeds because they worked out cheaper than the place I bought it off.

Ford Leeds ring me up...

"The last person to service this car has cross threaded the sump plug, it's well knackered and needs a new sump".

£250 it's gonna cost me plus the service

Surely I have grounds to complain?  I was just following procedure and fufilling my service requirement and because of their incompetence I now face a big bill.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Did your sister ever get her car sorted out?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:32 pm

go view the thread - long story lol, further down the page under this one

here I think...

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=28094
Last edited by Roger Red Hat on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Lee J wrote:go view the thread - long story lol, further down the page under this one

here I think...

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=28094

Ah right, hope you get them sold then - you should get a bit of use out of them first!

Don't know about the sump thing - I'd certainly contact the original dealer and raise hell to see if they'll replace the sump for you for free or less than the Ford place - £250 seems a lot for a sump??
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:04 pm

If I remember rightly from my degree, you have no claim because the dealer in which you purchased from has folded so they no longer exist to deal wih a claim - I THINK thats the case anyway

BUT

In a world where people are suing the fuck out of each other some clever @rse will probably find a way :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:46 pm

You may as well get on the phone to them and see what you can do but I would suggest that you're probably buggered on this one. The next best step you can take is to ring around and negotiate your way to the best quote possible. I had a similar sort of problem a few years ago and did my level best to pin it on the company who I had good reason to believe was responsible for the fault (a plug or two weren't screwed in properly and instead of drilling out a new thread, they said they needed to replace the whole part -- nobody had officially gone near this part of the car prior to my taking it in), but ultimately it wasn't worth the hassle. I could eliminate the possibility that the fault was caused during repairs under the previous owner who had it serviced at another dealership as they hadn't gone near that part of the car, which the service record proved. I couldn't rule out the possibility - and the company were fully aware of this, unfortunately - that the previous owner (who I subsequently called and who confirmed that it had been serviced at the same garage since purchase) had done repairs, or had accidentally fiddled with it, causing the fault -- most unlikely. Suffice to say it wasn't worth my while taking it any further and so I took the car to a local garage with a good reputation and they sorted it for less than half the price. It's driven fine ever since.

Edit: Touch wood  :laugh:
LFC2007

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:17 pm

sorry Greavsie I misled ya a bit mate, they used to be a Ford dealer then Ford pulled out and a family took over it - then I bought the car some months after the takeover. they still had all the ford technicians though
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:46 pm

ah right, so its all the same people then, should be good to give them a good b0llocking then! :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Gerrard30391 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:44 am

Go buy a new sump plug. Cost you £240 less. All you need to do is undo the original sump plug, and drain the oil, screw in the new sump plug and if your oil's clean (as it should be because it's just been serviced) then put it back in. 15 min job.
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:28 pm

go to the scrappers lee and get a second hand pump from a recently damaged new car
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum