A moment to reflect

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dundreamin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 pm

Two planes landed in England today......one brought back a group of overpaid, underachiving footballers. The other brought back 7 coffins, each draped with the union jack. Footballers play for there country, soldiers FIGHT for our country footballers give 90 minutes...soldiers give there lives. I know who i support more. RIP OUR BOYS. YNWA
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby LittleHobo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:41 am

while it is tragic

and i do agree with this statement

soldiers need to evaluate whats more important in their life and stop choosing country over their wife, kids and family (when wars like this are pointless and shouldnt be happening)

would i leave my wife, kids and family to potentially come back in a body bag only for 15k a year

not for this current bullshiit war, not a chance
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:17 am

LittleHobo wrote:while it is tragic

soldiers need to stop being selfish and stop choosing country over their wife, kids and family

would i leave my wife, kids and family to potentially come back in a body bag only for 15k a year

It pisses me off a little more each day when we hear of soldiers losing their lives in a situation that they shouldn't be in.

As someone who has fought in the Middle East, I always get a feeling of regret that we weren't allowed to go further and finish the job back 1991.

I was working in Jersey City New Jersy on September 11th 2001, and was curiously looking at the smoke coming out of one Tower just as the other tower got hit.  I got a feeling of guilt as that happened because it didn't take a genius to figure out why it happened.

I was called back into service in 2002 from the Reserves to go to Iraq.  We were in firefights that were alot closer than in 1991, so close that you knew that with shooting at each other from such a close range, you were going to hit your target.or they were going to hit their's . 

Heading back to our safe zone each night I'd get a feeling of remorse that if we had done what we should have a decade earlier, none of it all would have happened. 

I can only imagine how difficult things must be there now.  Supposedly in an area where you are supposed to be safe, but being attacked.  I think I'd actually prefer a straight firefight so I'd be on my guard and know where the hostility was coming from.  And when I think of that I feel guilty as well

RIP Lads.  Gone, never forgotten.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:57 am

soldiers need to stop being selfish and stop choosing country over their wife, kids and family

Selfish , don't talk so stupid . It's the most selfless act a person can do ,give there lives for there country . There not there to debate the rights and wrongs of there governments policies .There thier to do a job and they will tell you the same . That's why they do it for shItty money ,because there proud and love the job they do . Now whilst sh!thouses like you and me sleep well at night , remember there is brave men and women protecting us . THINK ON !!!!
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:

Selfish , don't talk so stupid . It's the most selfless act a person can do ,give there lives for there country . There not there to debate the rights and wrongs of there governments policies .There thier to do a job and they will tell you the same . That's why they do it for shItty money ,because there proud and love the job they do . Now whilst sh!thouses like you and me sleep well at night , remember there is brave men and women protecting us . THINK ON !!!!

ok maybe selfish isnt the right word.......maybe the right phrase is soldiers should evaluate whats more important in their life?

this war is one that shouldnt be happening.....95% of the country agree soldiers shouldnt be out there

so why risk your life and leaving your wife and kids without a father/husband for this ridiculous war?

world war 2, yes i can see that, a proper fight for freedom which potentially changes the way your kids will grow up.

not this one though
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:01 pm

I don't get the point of the thread?

People dying is more important than football? Yeah, I think we realise, we don't need a pretentious thread for that do we?
Last edited by dawson99 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:10 am

The Good Yank wrote:

It pisses me off a little more each day when we hear of soldiers losing their lives in a situation that they shouldn't be in.

As someone who has fought in the Middle East, I always get a feeling of regret that we weren't allowed to go further and finish the job back 1991.

I was working in Jersey City New Jersy on September 11th 2001, and was curiously looking at the smoke coming out of one Tower just as the other tower got hit.  I got a feeling of guilt as that happened because it didn't take a genius to figure out why it happened.

I was called back into service in 2002 from the Reserves to go to Iraq.  We were in firefights that were alot closer than in 1991, so close that you knew that with shooting at each other from such a close range, you were going to hit your target.or they were going to hit their's . 

Heading back to our safe zone each night I'd get a feeling of remorse that if we had done what we should have a decade earlier, none of it all would have happened. 

I can only imagine how difficult things must be there now.  Supposedly in an area where you are supposed to be safe, but being attacked.  I think I'd actually prefer a straight firefight so I'd be on my guard and know where the hostility was coming from.  And when I think of that I feel guilty as well

RIP Lads.  Gone, never forgotten.

i agree with the good yank

a straight firefight at close range is much better to assess than walking a street, then your shot from a person getting out of his car, or laying in a bush, or from some unknown area deemed to be safe

failing that, a straight knife fight
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum