British tv at the moment

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:29 pm

And i hadnt even mentioned the west wing, possibly the best written series in the history of television!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:33 pm

The way tv is going will make it increasingly difficult to justify a license fee. It's easier to justify if some quality drama, comedy or innovation comes along, but sadly that is all too rare. There is far too much reality tv and pseudo celebrity pap. I think I might have to go and sit down, as I'm in danger of beginning to sound like Mary Whitehouse here!

Traditionally our friends across the pond have been viewed as irony deficient and lacking in subtlety, but I would agree with the general view on here that most of the worthwhile stuff is from America.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:01 pm

I still enjoy a lot British stuff that we see in Oz though i guess its the grass is greener syndrome and we probably only get the better stuff
Cant say i like alot of US stuff which seems very cardboard cut out formulaic,though they do have some gems.
One thing I do find lacking in British TV these days is the comedies, use to love the British humour growing up in the 70s and 80s. There was even some good stuff in the 90s
All eye of the beholder stuff though
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:04 pm

laza wrote:I still enjoy a lot British stuff that we see in Oz though i guess its the grass is greener syndrome and we probably only get the better stuff
Cant say i like alot of US stuff which seems very cardboard cut out formulaic,though they do have some gems.
One thing I do find lacking in British TV these days is the comedies, use to love the British humour growing up in the 70s and 80s. There was even some good stuff in the 90s

What worries me is if we are only getting the gems from Oz ,like Neighbours and Cell block H what must the rest of Oz TV be like!  :D

I must admit I used to love the Paul Hogan show when it first came out. His mate used to crack me up.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:07 pm

ok, time to work it out:

Brit                   USA

Casualty              ER/Greys Anatony
Londons Burning    Rescue Me
Top Buzzer           Weeds
The Bill                24/CSI/Shield/loads more
Judge John Deed   Boston Legal
Emmerdale etc      Desperate Housewives
the big dramas      Nip Tuck/Sopranos
Green Wing          Scrubs
My Family            Name it, hundreds of near perfect american sit coms
The office            The Office (ok, uk wins this one, but only the first series, the second was awful)

I could go on and on. the only one there was that i liked was top buzzer but MTV only made one series of that i think
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:12 pm

s@int wrote:
laza wrote:I still enjoy a lot British stuff that we see in Oz though i guess its the grass is greener syndrome and we probably only get the better stuff

What worries me is if we are only getting the gems from Oz ,like Neighbours and Cell block H what must the rest of Oz TV be like!  :D

I must admit I used to love the Paul Hogan show when it first came out. His mate used to crack me up.

LOL

If you guys hadnt enjoyed it so much , it probably would have got axed years ago..... :D

Yeah Hoges was pretty good, his Leo :censored: character was awesom. Cant say there is anything of homegrown Oz shows that i like these days. We are still in grip of franchise American crimes shows and reality TV
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:13 pm

Of all those you have actualy named Dawson there is only scrubs iv watched  :blush:

Postby Dundalk » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:22 pm

Saint start watching 24 now..........thats an order!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:48 pm

Dundalk wrote:Saint start watching 24 now..........thats an order!

Got to agree with Dundalk there!

24 is without equal in modern television!! :nod

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:22 pm

I will download a couple of episodes tonight and watch them asap

Postby dawson99 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:52 pm

does anyone else remember watching that first episode on bbc2 all those years ago? Was absolutely amazing.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:23 pm

Anyone watched any of these from the US?
King Of Queens
First Watch
The Wire
NYPD Blue
The Shield
I reckon The Shield just about tops the lot... And it's just started a new series on 5 at 11pm on Fridays, it's the dogs' Micheal Chiklis who plays the lead is quality.... :buttrock
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:31 pm

It's the writing that sems to be the problem for our TV exec's. For Comedies there's John Sullivan, Ricky Gervais and Richard Curtis (although he seems to be doin'more films nowadays) and for Drama there's Jimmy McGovern, Ken Loach and the Shameless guy (can't remember his name)
Failing that, the BBC to dross like the Sound Of Music thing with comedy bender Graham Norton and ITV just wheel those two Geordie "cheeky chappies" Dec and his his mate with the Tefal forehead..... It's all too easy for them as well to have John Nettles playing the Superintendent who solves all the crimes on his own in Midsomer.... wouldn't want to live there, it's safer in the Bronx.....!!!  :sleep
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:59 pm

One of the best programmes of recent times that's been on the BBC is Life on Mars.  Quality.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:32 pm

Yeah Kash, I'll go with you on Life On Mars... Only thing was it ended strangely (as if the rest of it was normal eh?) John Simm and Philip Glenister were brilliant in it and it'll probably feature in those dull awards shows later in the year. They're filming the new series right now so at least one thing to look forward to. :nod
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum