No ronaldinho in world cup

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sat May 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Argentina
Cant believe Cambiasso and Zanetti havent been includeed in the Argentina squad... Cambiasso has had his best season ever and looks one of the best defensive midfielders in world football today.. him and Mascherano in midfield would have sorted them out defensively imo..
Zanetti, not much that hasnt been said about him already.. Definitely one of the most underrated players to have ever played the game to me.. at 39 or whatever it is he is, he's still one of the best all round players in world football and if only for the fact that he can play 3-4 different positions expertly he should have been included in that squad... Another one whos having one of his best seasons ever...

Brazil
I have never seen a worse Brazil squad than the one Dunga picked here.. To me that side relies too much on Kaka (had his worst season ever) and Maicon (a rightback, the best in the world but still a RB).. They lack quality in many positions and I think Dunga has focused more on the tactical aspect of things rather than picking suitable players and allowing them to express their talent.. Ronaldinho is a big game player and should have been included in the squad imo... Besides Maicon, Kaka, and to a lesser extent Robinho, they seem to have precious little in attacking terms... Nilmar, Elano, Fabiano, Grafite...etc... not good enough..

Spain
Favorites... best side out there... If Xavi, Villa and Sergio Ramos play to the high standards you'd expect of them then i dont think any side can stop them..

England

Green, James, Baines, Upson, Young, Walcott, Milner, Lennon, Heskey, A.Johnson, Bent, Defoe, Parker... etc...
All of those players and many others in that England side wouldnt get into the starting 11 of a worldcup winning side... If all the stars (A.Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney) get going in the knockout stages then they might have a chance of causing an upset... as things stand, it quarterfinals no more .. When you look at some of the other big nations and the player kept out of the squads (Cassano, Benzema, Nasri, Ronaldinho...etc) you realize that the English squad is nowhere near as good as many claim it to be...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Sat May 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Rooney is a great player. I don't see much else in the team though.

France have some great players but a poor manager and the team is less than the sum of its parts.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sat May 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Big Niall wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
zarababe wrote:
red37 wrote:Good. Im sick of Brazil by now.

Spain or the Argies for me. Watch out for France though...the spawny gets. I wouldn't put it past 'em!

I hate Brasil - Argies for me .. of course  :buttrock

I on the other hand, hate the Argies (their FA and government... not the people) ..... Never forgave them for buying the 78 World Cup.... cheaters the lot of 'em lead by a brainless, coke snorting, people shooting, possibly fascist piece of sh!te, masquerading as a human being..... purporting to be the best player ever to grace the football pitch.... me @rse.

And then of course there was the needless Falklands fiasco.

Anyone but the Argies.

I think this year will be Espana's year.

Maradonna is head and shoulders above Pele and Zidane in terms of the greatest ever.

Nobody comes even close. it is like saying Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan aren't the greatest ever.

Suffice to say that I disagree both with your opinion and analogy. Flawed argument in my opinion.

Both Tiger and MJ are/were clearly far ahead of the rest of the also-rans. Difference between Pele and Maradona is not that obvious. Case can be made for either.

I think Pele is the better player.
ConnO'var

Postby Owzat » Sun May 16, 2010 7:35 am

Whether Ronaldinho is past his very best, or having a stonking season, he is worth inclusion even if he only makes the bench. That's why I've often said I reckon Owen would be worth taking IF he was fit enough, he's still got plenty of skills and noone says players have to be in contention to start in order to be picked.

Certainly with forwards and attacking players you can afford the odd "wildcard", even if Ronaldinho isn't one. He is the only Brazilian forward on the Crapello index and better than Rooney according to it

http://www.capelloindex.com/site....=4&n=76
http://www.capelloindex.com/site....4&n=826

Second in Serie A only to Vucinic as well ! http://www.capelloindex.com/site....d=1&r=4

Disclaimer : I think the Crapello index is a joke, I would put lots of :rolleyes: in but this forum is sadly lacking that smilie despite the nature of the forum begging for it to be included. If you want proof the Crapello index is a joke, try finding FERNANDO TORRES or DAVID VILLA
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Sun May 16, 2010 8:50 am

ConnO'var wrote:
Big Niall wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
zarababe wrote:
red37 wrote:Good. Im sick of Brazil by now.

Spain or the Argies for me. Watch out for France though...the spawny gets. I wouldn't put it past 'em!

I hate Brasil - Argies for me .. of course  :buttrock

I on the other hand, hate the Argies (their FA and government... not the people) ..... Never forgave them for buying the 78 World Cup.... cheaters the lot of 'em lead by a brainless, coke snorting, people shooting, possibly fascist piece of sh!te, masquerading as a human being..... purporting to be the best player ever to grace the football pitch.... me @rse.

And then of course there was the needless Falklands fiasco.

Anyone but the Argies.

I think this year will be Espana's year.

Maradonna is head and shoulders above Pele and Zidane in terms of the greatest ever.

Nobody comes even close. it is like saying Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan aren't the greatest ever.

Suffice to say that I disagree both with your opinion and analogy. Flawed argument in my opinion.

Both Tiger and MJ are/were clearly far ahead of the rest of the also-rans. Difference between Pele and Maradona is not that obvious. Case can be made for either.

I think Pele is the better player.

why Pele?

He never played in a top league, if you analyse his 3 worlc up wins he was injured for most of the 62 finals where girrancha (an all time great) won the cup single handedly. Garrincha was also the main player in 1958 and the 1970 team would have won the cup with any decent number 10, that team was class all the way through.

as for the thousand goals, a huge number were in pointless friendlies and the rest in a substandard league.

Pele was obviously great but I don't think he warrants a mention in a discussion of the greatest of all time.

Maradonna dragged a rubbih club (Napoli) to the toughest league in the world(at the time) twice, dragged the worst ever world cup winning team to a glorious victory in 86 and then an even worse one back to the final four years later only for a ridiculous penalty decision to ensure they lost.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion