Pongolle & le tallec

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Badmao1 » Fri May 28, 2004 8:04 am

What is your opinion of these two young players?

I am very excited about Pongolle and see him as an important part of Liverpool's future. Every time he's come on the pitch his determination and skill have made me mark him down as a big star of the future.

Le Tallec seems to be taking longer adjusting to the English game and sometimes wants too much time on the ball. I'm not as sure that he will be successful but am hopeful.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieRed » Fri May 28, 2004 10:01 am

They both have huge raps on them... Le Tallec is the player that Wenger wanted before he went after Reyes... just remember that... They are both young and with time will become GH's two best buys!!
AussieRed

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri May 28, 2004 10:20 am

I can't wait to see what they play like in the future.  They both need to work on their physical strength, especially Le Tallec if he wants to play in that area of the pitch, but his touch is sublime.

I need to see more of him, but he does look like one for the future.
jonnymac1979

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri May 28, 2004 10:38 am

They'll both be very good players.

However nowhere near Owen, Gerrard or Fowlers standard i don't think.

When those three came through they were instant class. Le Tallec and Pongolle aren't. However, they have the potential to both become superb players in the future and hopefully they will both live upto there potential.

They'll probably both be about the same level of player as Hamann and Hyypia i would expect.
115-1073096938

Postby Stan Laurel » Fri May 28, 2004 10:46 am

Agree. I would be gutted if new manager got rid of both of them.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri May 28, 2004 10:52 am

If the two young lads contribute as much as Hamann & Hyypia's they'll have proved excellent buys.

Give the boys a chance.  They couldn't speak english when they arrived and are very young so it was only natural that it would take time to settle.

I reckon Le Tallec will develop into a fine player.  Remember Pires didn't inspire in his first year at Arsenal and he was alot older when he arrived in the premiership.  Reyes is also taking his time settling in and Wenger isn't rushing him.....so give our boys a chance.

Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Fri May 28, 2004 10:59 am

I agree with Stu here.

Both certainly look promising, but they haven't made the same impact of the likes of Owen, Fowler or Gerrard at the same age.

However, it has to be said in their defence that they are two young French teenagers trying to settle at a new club in a new country: I wouldn't expect either of them to make an immediate impact just yet. Remember that Fowler, Owen and Gerrard grew up with the club and they didn't have to deal with the culture shock.

One big thing I will say in their favour is that both of them seem to have adjusted to the pace of the Premiership game far quicker than a lot of other foreign players.

I'd like to see Pongolle put on some muscle but Le Tallec has impressed me in that he is certainly adapting physically: I saw him contest and win many headers with more mature players in the Premiership last year.

They came with a lot of hype due to their amazing achievements at underage level, however, they need to start all over again at Liverpool.

Just to put things into perspective, take a look at Ronaldo at Man UTD whose the same age as Sinama and Le Tallec.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bpm1976 » Fri May 28, 2004 11:06 am

I rate them both! not sure they will become world beaters but very promising squad players.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

bpm1976

Postby Scottbot » Fri May 28, 2004 11:11 am

Of the two, i believe Le Tellec has the better chance of making it at the club. Were it not for injuries, i think we would have seen more of the lad last year. I thought he did ok when he played, looks a good passer, has awareness, gets up well for headers and seems to like the physical aspect of English fooball. GH played him on the right on a few occasions but i would like to see him playing in the middle of the park. I hope the new manager takes a shine to him.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

I think it will take about 3 years for them to be class, but they should get more and more action every year. some players develop later than others, I don't think Gerrard was that young when he became a regular and remember he couldn't play more than a game a week.

Fowler and Owen are both injury ****** ups, possibley because of too much football while still growing (like giggs)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri May 28, 2004 1:05 pm

Gerrard played a lot in 1998/99 at right back, especially towards the end of the season, and also played there a bit in 1999/2000.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sean » Fri May 28, 2004 2:45 pm

Steveie Gerrard is probabaly the best right full in the premiership.

Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Fri May 28, 2004 2:52 pm

No probably about it, Gerrard IS the best midfielder in Europe right now and it shows by the respect he gets from other managers/players  :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Badmao1 » Fri May 28, 2004 6:16 pm

It would be very surprised if a new manager would get rid of such promising players.

Our front line for next season is looking good at the moment with Owen, Baros, Pongolle and Cisse.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri May 28, 2004 9:45 pm

I believe both Le Tallec and Pongolle will make it at Anfield and I'm sure our new manager will see their potential.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge