Pongolle & le tallec

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby 84-1083280474 » Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 pm

pongolle_ has potential seeing as 'Hoofier the great' never played him that much and played that muppet heskey, then his talent coulndt blossom. may be a manger who knows talent when he sees it will play him more often.

Le tallec_ total ******! the new boss should sell him off somewhere i think, as i dont think he has world class potential. hes ok, but way off the mark..very average. at least with a young Owen, Fowler, or even Ronaldo at Man Utd, you can see if there is a a spark there!
84-1083280474

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat May 29, 2004 12:02 am

Yeah coz the fella who brought them in obviously couldn't :;):

sorry couldn't resist that :p

they've both impressed in spells. I think Le Tallec needs to do a Gerrard in terms of physical pressence.

Gerrard when he first came through was a similar build and while you could see his potential the power wasn't there.

A few years ago you wouldn't have seen him power past the last defender the way he did against Cunningham at St Andrews. I don't think Le Tallec can become that quick, but just a bit more beef on him will do him the world of good.

He's a player who i think should be moulded into a defensive system. His natural attacking abilities and vision are impressive and i think if he was to improve the other aspects of his game he could become a really good player.

Pongolle looks like a little live wire. I like the lad. He's got pace, chases everything and has great enthusiasm.

I remember the Villa match at Anfield, Owen had just come back from injury, we were winning 1-0 and Houllier brought Pongolle on for Owen, who hadnt done to badly. But Owen looked stale, where as when Sinama came on he livened the team up with his work rate. He was buzzing round allover the show and was unlucky not to score.

Give him a couple of years and i think he'll become a really good player aswell.

Maybe Owen's long term replacement.
115-1073096938

Postby Woollyback » Sat May 29, 2004 12:20 am

Both cracking long-termers. I think Pongolle will make his mark first, but Le Tallec will make a bigger impression after a while once he matures both physically and mentally. Shame he got injured, a good run of games would've done him the world of good.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Badmao1 » Sat May 29, 2004 8:09 am

Agree that Le Tallec needs to build up a bit, no 9 stone weaklings are star players in the Premiership.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sat May 29, 2004 8:48 am

Pongo is no more than a 1 or 2 season wonder and defenders will soon catch on to him, I hold no great hopes for him changing the future of the reds.
Le Tallac obviously has a good footballing brain but his physical presence is not good enough and from his general build I'd be very surprised is he achieves the levels we hope for.
Believe me there are players at The Academy with far more potential, at if all else fails we can try a get local 15 year olds back from Goodison where we sent them "because they weren't good enough for us" only to realise now that they are possible, NO  -LIKELY !, internationals. The world's gone mad when we are taking on French kids and giving away just as good locals.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sat May 29, 2004 10:09 am

Le Tallec frustrated me at the start of the season, he kept loosing possession and then I think his confidence went.

Pongolle was exciting to watch.

Who knows? Give them a bit of time and seem how they mature and hopefully we'll have two quality players.

Didier Deschamps would probably be good for them.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Sat May 29, 2004 11:21 am

stu_the_red wrote:They'll both be very good players.

However nowhere near Owen, Gerrard or Fowlers standard i don't think.

When those three came through they were instant class. Le Tallec and Pongolle aren't.

when owen,gerrard and fowler made the first team they stayed in the first team,they were only out if injured.pongolle and le tallec havent had a fair crack of the whip due to a certain person. I think given a good run in the side they both will do well, but that is up to the new manager, which i cant see happening as he will want to build on our best players at the club by signing his own...
jack66

Postby JBG » Sat May 29, 2004 1:32 pm

In all fairness Houllier said to all and sundry that Le Tallec and Pongolle would spend 2003/04 in the reserves to allow them to settle in England.

He was forced to play them given the injuries.

It would not have been sensible to pick them the whole time given their age and I think he balanced it as best he could.

You can't really judge Pongolle and Le Tallec against Owen and Gerrard: both the French players had to move away from their families to a foreign land and learn a new language and culture.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat May 29, 2004 7:04 pm

JohnBull, where are all these wonder kids you go on about?

I don't see them playing for anyone else?

The only players we've let go who are still good enough to play in this side are Thompson and Wright and neither of them are what you'd call class players.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 29, 2004 8:34 pm

I agree with the general sentiment in here, La Tallec is a pretty good signing who maybe just needs a couple of pans of "scouse" to give more presence. Pongolle is still a young lad but has skill AND confidence , he's still learning his trade but I believe he will come good. LFC's problem is that we can't afford to be giving "on the job " training if we want immediate success. It's a bit of a catch 22.:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby BOODIDDY » Sat May 29, 2004 11:51 pm

Le Tallac will be special, not sure on pongolle. He's good but will he get a fair crack of the whip? I dont know.
le tallac will get physically stronger and mature in the same way gerrard did in his first few seasons, give these boys a chance, they are two of houlliers better signings. Wenger is giving reyes time, so is fergie with djemba and kleberson, and those three will come good also, i hope not though!
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Sun May 30, 2004 3:13 am

any comment about these kids would be bloody silly either way tey couldmske you eat ******! but i hope theyre gems
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Sun May 30, 2004 6:54 am

Pongolle and Le Tallec obviously did well in the French youth team but are still adjusting to Premiership football. Give them a season or two before passing judgement.
Remember Baros when he first arrived? most thought he is a waste of money but as he is now more comfortable with the Premiership football, he has showed us what he can achieved. Not a finished article and with more run in the first XI will only get better.
Same for these two kids. Next season will be obviously be an important season for their development, and hoped they will learn from their experience in the past months and build more physically. I have faith...:;):
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sun May 30, 2004 11:31 am

Stu - The Under 12s have just gone through a season unbeaten, There's a 9 year old there who people have already put money on to play for England before he,s 18, we are trying to get back a 15 year we let go to the bluenoses last year. I seriously recommend that you go to the Academy when you can and have a look.
There are kids there who are far easier on the ball than some of the rubbish signed over the past few years. There are kids there who's heads are dropping because they know they're as good as the ones being brought in from abroad but they are not getting their chance.
Many of the parents are becoming disenchanted because Anfield are trying to cover all the bases without making the commitment - "we don't want to sign your kid now,but if anyone else comes in for him let us know straight away"

The Academy is a good set-up with some great coaches but the friction between Melwood and them has seriously harmed their cause.
It has to be a priority for whoever is in charge next to get all sides working together again with a common cause.
Go and have a look. They are still playing "pass and move" and it looks great.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun May 30, 2004 12:24 pm

JohnBull wrote:The Academy is a good set-up with some great coaches but the friction between Melwood and them has seriously harmed their cause.

What friction do you speak of?  I know Heighway and Houllier fell out didn't they?  What was it over?
jonnymac1979

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge