Jermaine pennant - Leaps and bounds

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby maguskwt » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Sabre wrote:I didn't like when he asked for a place in the english squad, as he's young and he just arrived a big club.

to be fair to him he didn't ask for an england place nor did he question mclaren... he merely said he's disappointed in not being selected... I think it's fair for him to say that... nothing wrong with being disappointed
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:08 pm

At last he's started to use his pace and take defenders on, we barely saw him do it once the whole of last season. His crossing is still for the main part dire, chipping the ball in instead of whipping it in with pace and giving the striker no chance of getting any purchase on the header. He needs to shoot a lot more as well.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:33 pm

stmichael wrote:the chelsea game last season when he scored that wonder goal was the turning point for me.

He's been our best and most consistent attacking threat ever since that game. Good to see the majority of posters coming round to him now.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:47 pm

the other thing about wide men is they thrive on confidence. pennant is no different. for example look at SWP. he suffered a massive dip in confidence last season through hardly playing. now he's in the chelsea first team and his confidence is sky high. add this to the fact that wide players tend to get injured more than most, when a player does get into a good run of form it would be plain daft to leave him out.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedBlood » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:59 pm

i couldnt believe it when most of you were slagging him off early on

it was obvious he had talent and potential and now people can see that

it just goes to show you shouldnt jump on players backs when they havnt even unpacked there suitcase

although he does need to improve his goals tally, that will move him from one of the best wingers in the league to one of the best in europe in my opinion

the lads in his early 20's so he has time to improve
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:50 pm

stmichael wrote:the other thing about wide men is they thrive on confidence. pennant is no different. for example look at SWP. he suffered a massive dip in confidence last season through hardly playing. now he's in the chelsea first team and his confidence is sky high. add this to the fact that wide players tend to get injured more than most, when a player does get into a good run of form it would be plain daft to leave him out.

And I hope people bear this in mind when Pennant goes through a rough patch (a virtual certainty for any wing player).  The thing to remember is that he's shown what he can do in terms of his technical ability and he's largely put to rest many of the doubts that were swirling with respect to his mentality (can he handle the pressure?).  If he does hit a rough patch, I've know doubt that a few people will be saying he's not good enough when, IMO, he's definitely shown that he is.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Wilhelmsson » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:10 pm

I'll be proved wrong on Jermaine Pennant's ability.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:31 pm

As yet, I remain unconvinced..... He's definitely improved and that can only be good for the team.

From a footballing standpoint, his final ball and intelligence is still a big question mark for me.

Also, as a few have mentioned, he really should just shut his gob and get on with the football.

Hope he proves me wrong from an ability standpoint.
ConnO'var

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:40 pm

He's looked pretty good so far, I hope he keeps it up.

He seems to have the ability when he performs to his best level. I think it's just a matter of consistency on his part and getting our forwards to attack his crosses.
LFC2007

Postby Rafa D » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:40 pm

I don't get all this " he has the ability".

Where is it?

I haven't seen fuck all from the lad to convince me that he has any right to be classed as our right winger.

Some may call me harsh and point out the fact has he played well this season, but for a right winger he hasn't done enough for me. I'll accept he had a brilliant game against Derby on the left and the right, but they were not exactly world beaters were they?

He still doesn't try to take his man on enough for me and his passing is still woefully inadequete for Liverpool. He can cross a ball, yes, but how many crosses actually look dangerous when he floats them in?

I want a right winger to fly down the wing, beat his man, get to the byline and whip the ball in for the strikers to attack.

not this bolloc'ks.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:44 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Where is it?

It's in his kiss, that's where it is.
LFC2007

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:30 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:Where is it?

It's in his kiss, that's where it is.

Ugh!  :no   ???
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:55 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:I don't get all this " he has the ability".

Where is it?

I haven't seen fuck all from the lad to convince me that he has any right to be classed as our right winger.

Some may call me harsh and point out the fact has he played well this season, but for a right winger he hasn't done enough for me. I'll accept he had a brilliant game against Derby on the left and the right, but they were not exactly world beaters were they?

He still doesn't try to take his man on enough for me and his passing is still woefully inadequete for Liverpool. He can cross a ball, yes, but how many crosses actually look dangerous when he floats them in?

I want a right winger to fly down the wing, beat his man, get to the byline and whip the ball in for the strikers to attack.

not this bolloc'ks.

Well that doesn't say much for the rest of our squad then as he's probably been one of our best players since the turn of the year. If he wasn't doing the business, he wouldn't be getting picked simple as that.

Ok it's still far too soon for me to say he's definitively turned it around. I want to see a full season out of him first as there were far too many negatives for me, last season. However, the things that have impressed me so far this season have been his retention of the ball, his two turns (the massive swerve and switch of feet to go around a player with the ball and the spin off a player to receive a ball and break), his movement and - most importantly - his response to the competition for places.

However, regardless of whether it is a "glib response", like you, I am still unconvinced by his end product at times (and by that I do not just mean goals). That said, I've seen more from him in terms of decent looking passes and crosses so far in this season than I saw all last season. So, I'd say it's been a really good start, but keep it up until May.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:13 pm

hasnt  pennant been really good?

i personally cant believe that mclaren would rather take young and bentley over pennant who is playing in what i believe out of skin!

horses for courses i guess
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:22 pm

The only plus he has for me is that he's English.

He's an average player with a terrible attitude.

4 good games and he is in the papers saying how he feels he will get in the England team and he's playing the best football of his life.

Get a fu.cking grip.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge