Henchoz at right back - Why?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Coley » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:09 pm

I think Henchoz did quite well at right back last night, but can anyone tell me why he's playing there?

Surely he's better at centre half if he's fit?  Is it to give Igor the confidence of saying "look he's come back and can't get your place"?  I'm not sure.  What do you all reckon?
Coley

Postby RedSi » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:13 pm

I reckon Henchoz partnering Sami in the middle with Babbel at right back and Carra at left back is the way forward, mmmmmmmm, familiar...... :p
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:12 pm

For some reason Houllier wants Biscan at centre back. Perhaps Houllier doesn't want to risk Henchoz at centre back until he's fully fit but why play him at all if that's the case?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:20 pm

RedSi wrote:I reckon Henchoz partnering Sami in the middle with Babbel at right back and Carra at left back is the way forward, mmmmmmmm, familiar...... :p

Yeah, and I'd like Alan Hansen, Steve Nicol, Mark Lawerson and Gary Gillespie in my back four but there you go.  :D

Jesus man, this is 2004, not 2001. Marcus Babbel is now slower than the pope on a bike.

I agree Owzat, Houllier has a peculiar fetish for Biscan at centre half.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:48 pm

Biscan has done ok at centre-back but I'm still not keen on seeing him there. It is pretty much a case of Houllier trying to make one of his signings work, let's face it we wouldn't get much for Biscan if we tried to sell him.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:53 pm

We have to be fair and say that Biscan, by his own standards, has done very well at centre back. He is a much improved player.

However, he is not a top 3 player.

The same goes for Traore (improving all the time but then again he had a lot of improving to do! :D )
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:00 pm

I have to defend Traore and say that, while he has looked awful at left-back, he did quite well at centre-back and is worth keeping. He may not be the greatest ball player but was it not Traore who scored the vital away goal against Steaua Bucharest in the UEFA Cup? I'd like to see Vignal given another go at left-back and Traore another chance in the heart of defence (when Henchoz or Hyypia are not available)
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:12 pm

Are you sure you're not having a pop JBG....? What's wrong with the defence of 2001, it's not as though they're past it or anything (Hyppia 30, Henchoz 29, Babbel 31, Carra 25). Finnan is yet to do anything to impress imho, I can't even recall him particularly pulling up sticks for Fulham. I'm not saying he's no good but the jury's out.....
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:20 pm

I thought traore was a revelation last night,easily his best display in a red shirt.He obviously has the ability so now he just has to reproduce it every week!! However diouf gave his usual headless chicken impersonation and should have been substituted long before his sending off(which was a joke).Kewell didnt impress me much either.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Coley » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:29 pm

i thought Kewall gave a good hardworking performance. 

Maybe he wasn't individually brilliant but it wasn't that kind of game last night was it?  What was needed was for Kewall to get his head down and work at closing the opposition down.  He did that so job well done in my opinion. 

I agree about Diouf though, he seems to take about half an hour to control a ball and decide what to do with it!  He is not good enough.
Coley

Postby greenred » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:42 pm

I probably expect too much from harry,but a player of his ability should provide a bit more spark than he did last night.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:37 pm

i dont think henchoz should be at right back either hes to slow. Caragher is back soon though so thats good news, defensively he's one of the best full backs in the league.
columbia

Postby simic_ie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:03 am

Henchoz at right back does surprise me a bit but at the moment there is nobody else, Ostemobor did well when he was there but he is too young to expect him to keep up that level against top players week in week out. Henchoz has been around long enough to know what to do, I seen one instance last night where he was beaten and, cynical as you like, dragged down the Chelsea player, i don't think Ostemobor would have that in him yet.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:37 pm

Houllier is going back to his old principles of building on a strong defence, that is why Henchoz is playing at right back.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:19 pm

Otesemobor looks like an excellent prospect at right back.  He did well when he came into the starting 11, I would like to see him get another 10 - 15 games this season to see how he is developing and coping.  The only way he'll get the experience is to be in the side.

Saying that, Houllier will probably sell him tomorrow, or loan him out to another club, never to see him again.
jonnymac1979

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge