Babel

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:09 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote::D
I know mate

Funny the way you called me Dodd :D

Tickled me that.

I do apologise, if I came accross abrubt. I honestly didnt mean to .......Dodd.  :D

Like a few have said it is too early to class Babel as this or that. But I believe from seeing the Dutchman already he does look as though he has a touch of class and explosiveness. I think its 'simply' time that will tell.

He has gone missing in a few games also, ala Pennant last season. And as I supposed called it wrong about Pennant last season, I'm willing to bite my tongue this time around and be more optimistic. 

And whether he is depicted as Henry or not, I really couldnt give a feck. I only said I saw comparisons. Anyway for me he has added something we lack from midfield last season, which can only be a bonus. I like the directness he brings, and the possibility of goals too, we needed this kind of player desperately and now hopefully he'll offer us another dimension in our attacking play on a consistent basis.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby club_Levis » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:29 am

Ciggy wrote:Oh and BTW he was the player that Pako didnt want us to sign said he was a panic buy, well if he keeps scoring goals like the one on saturday I wouldnt mind a team of panic buys.  :)

A very good player IMO and forms part ofour best x1.At last Kewell has competition in LM and Id rather have Babbel to be honest.....Good buy Rafa...I wanted Quaresmo but Babbel has been a good acquisition.
club_Levis

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:52 pm

To be fair, until his goal at the weekend I was on the fence about the lad.

All that's changed now is that we know what he's capable of. He needs to produce these bits of magic regularly and be a constant influence in games before I get too excited. Cisse scored some good goals for us too, don't forget.
ivor_the_injun

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Potential is there for sure but as of now, I'm not yet convinced. But then he IS just a boy. It'll take him some time but he needs to take the daft things out of his game without curbing his ingenuity. Loses the ball far too much and oft times takes the wrong decision.

I like the lad and think that he's got potential.. but proclaimation of him being the next Van Basten, Henry etc etc is way too premature. He still needs a healthy dose of maturity and tactical awareness. We've heard too many claims of such and such a player being the next Vieira, Zidane and so forth that I tend to be be cautious. Potential does not always equals progress to the finished product.

We've had too many false dawns for me to pin too much hope on the lad. You can definitely see the ability but I'd rather wait and see how he progresses against the bigger teams.
ConnO'var

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:44 pm

mungi wrote:admitely it was againt derby. do it against one of the top 4 or in a champs league final then that will show whetehr or not he has got composure

I'm sick of hearing this. It doesn't matter who it was against, you still have to beat what is in front of you, and Babel had two very big centre backs charging him down for a tackle at full pelt. He made a d*ck out of the both of them as they dropped themselves to the ground and then powered a shot with pace and accuracy past the keeper. Babel is lightening in a bottle. He explodes when defenders least expect, and is great at close control when surrounded. All he needs is half a yard and he lets rip with that explosive power of a shot. He'll be a handful for any defence, so this talk of "Oh but it was only Derby" B@llocks won't wash. People say how he reminds them of Henry. He reminds me more of John Barns, and I said this before any pundit did.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:25 pm

To me he's a player that has shown a few glimpses of tremendous promise.  His goal is obviously the pick of the bunch but I was very impressed with his impact as a sub in the Toulouse game, and particularly his well-worked 1-2 with Kuyt that led to our third goal.

As Bamaga Man has pointed out, we might bear Jermaine Pennant in mind when watching Babel.  Like Pennant, Babel clearly has some skills in his locker.  Like Pennant again, however, it will take him time to settle, get into the rhythm of the team and produce consistent quality performances.  I think he has the skill to make it at Liverpool and time will tell if he has the mentality to make it as well.  For me, though, the early signs have been promising.

I would say, though, that I don't see him playing the majority of his career as a winger.  I think he'll be moved up top full time within a season or so, as his qualities seem more suited to playing as a forward than as a wide man.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:58 pm

Bad Bob wrote:For me, though, the early signs have been promising.

I would say, though, that I don't see him playing the majority of his career as a winger.  I think he'll be moved up top full time within a season or so, as his qualities seem more suited to playing as a forward than as a wide man.

Would definitely agree with that to a very large extent.
ConnO'var

Postby weringo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:59 pm

Bad Bob wrote:As Bamaga Man has pointed out, we might bear Jermaine Pennant in mind when watching Babel.  Like Pennant, Babel clearly has some skills in his locker.  Like Pennant again, however, it will take him time to settle, get into the rhythm of the team and produce consistent quality performances.  I think he has the skill to make it at Liverpool and time will tell if he has the mentality to make it as well.  For me, though, the early signs have been promising.

Babel has impressed me in his first few weeks at Anfield a lot more than Pennant did, I don't think it will take him too long to adjust to the style of the team.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby username » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:43 pm

Babel hasnt really been a XI starter for that matches, he looks like a good player, but i have no real view untill i see more of him
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby Scottbot » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:42 am

I have to agree with most of the posters on here. He's a bit of a project and a fair way off the finished article but there's definately something there. He's fast, he's got very quick feet, has got a few tricks up his sleeve, can defend and has an absolute rocket (if a little mis-guided) of a shot. Obviously there are also a lot areas where he needs to improve but he looks like he will develop.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Keris » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:21 am

I really hope he is given the opportunity and most importantly enough time to develop his full potential.

Some young players were discarded for too early before they could really develop their true potential only to be have a blinder at their next club; ala henry @ juventus, vieira @ milan (he was playing as a striker ffs), simao @ barcelona.
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:34 am

Babel is an out and out striker being played on the wing. Imo the sooner that is corrected the better player the lad will be.

He is Raw and is one for next season, bought a year early to ensure we got him and we didnt have to pay £20m, which is the price he would have been at the end of this season.

Sublime goal the other day though.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby MightyLFC » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:29 pm

Babel is top man :;):
MightyLFC

Postby ste123lfc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm

A quote from .tv

Kenny Dalglish believes new boy Ryan Babel has the potential to terrify defenders up and down the country. 
The club's greatest ever player has liked what he's seen from the Dutchman since his arrival from Ajax in July – especially his corker against Derby last Saturday.

"Babel's goal was a cracker and I think we will really see him push on now," Dalglish told LFC Magazine.

"He'd made a decent start to life in this country but he took his goal superbly and then looked like he really, really wanted the ball.

"He will terrify players in the Premier League now, I hope. He's quick, strong and you can't guess what he's going to do next because he's a bag of tricks."

Babel is currently with the Dutch squad preparing for Euro qualifiers against Bulgaria and Albania.

That is high praise indeed coming from a legend like Kenny.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby redhayesy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 pm

imo i think babel has made a great start for us!
not with just the goals he got(don"t care who it was against)
but his attitude looks good, his alround play looks impressive
& i"m convinced already he will be a great squad player for us
as he give"s the team alot of options, i wonder if his great start
for us will speed up harry"s injury problem, as like i said before
i think this is a massive season for HK & the likes of babel
(if he continues with his form) will only be a massive plus
for the side, & make competition for places even better,
which is a nice selection headache for raffa to have.
babel looks a great bit of business for the club.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge