Alvaro arbeloa....

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby red_guy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:46 am

I like him. He's good. :D
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mungi » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:38 am

yeh, if he was english i reckon he would be worth 6-8 million. good player. thanks rafa
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:57 am

How long before he gets an international call, you reckon? Seems to me like Spanish players playing abroad tend to have a much harder time getting international recognition for some reason, but he has to be close now. Who are the first choice full backs for Spain at the moment?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:54 am

I've also been really impressed so far. What i am liking this season is the way he is getting beyond the left midfielder/winger. His passing and movement and general awareness is a class above Riise and that will be the reason why he is featuring far more than the norwegian imo. Riise so often wastes posession with hopeful punts upfield or crazy shots from silly positions, with Arbeloa he uses the ball far better and keeps the ball moving allowing attacks to build and the pressure on the opposition to build as well.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:37 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:I've also been really impressed so far. What i am liking this season is the way he is getting beyond the left midfielder/winger. His passing and movement and general awareness is a class above Riise and that will be the reason why he is featuring far more than the norwegian imo. Riise so often wastes posession with hopeful punts upfield or crazy shots from silly positions, with Arbeloa he uses the ball far better and keeps the ball moving allowing attacks to build and the pressure on the opposition to build as well.

Riise has different qualities but as a full back he is not as good as Arbeloa who is definitely making that left-back slot his own now. I'm actually quite glad we didn't sign Heinze to be honest, because judging by what Arbeloa has given us so far he's a better full back than Heinze aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:57 pm

stmichael wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:I've also been really impressed so far. What i am liking this season is the way he is getting beyond the left midfielder/winger. His passing and movement and general awareness is a class above Riise and that will be the reason why he is featuring far more than the norwegian imo. Riise so often wastes posession with hopeful punts upfield or crazy shots from silly positions, with Arbeloa he uses the ball far better and keeps the ball moving allowing attacks to build and the pressure on the opposition to build as well.

Riise has different qualities but as a full back he is not as good as Arbeloa who is definitely making that left-back slot his own now. I'm actually quite glad we didn't sign Heinze to be honest, because judging by what Arbeloa has given us so far he's a better full back than Heinze aswell.

Dont get me wrong mate i have defended Riise on this site, but can see now as we move forward that he is the weak link in the side often when he plays.
This season so far we have been brilliant in posession compared with previous seasons when we have had Riise and Hyypia in the team. Thats not me trying to criticise Sami either reallly as he is great at what he does but with Agger and Arbeloa in we are using the ball far more intelligently.
Even Carragher was as guilty as the other two of playing long aimless balls forward when put under a bit of pressure, now he just passes it to Agger who carries it out a bit and spots a pass....like the great one through to Arbeloa for Babels goal.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:20 pm

Bad Bob wrote:First team regular?  Not in my books, TBH.  He's a very useful utility player but I doubt we'll ever see him as a consistent fixture in our starting 11 when other defenders are fit.  If Aurelip were fit now, for instance, I doubt we'd have seen Arbeloa at all this season so far.

Thank f'uck Aurellio has been out injured , it's given Arbeloa the opportunity to show what many of us believed, the lads got what it takes.

Playing out of his best (?) position and turning in consistent performances .Surely now even the most critical of pundits must see him as a long term fixture in LFC's back four .

:nod

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Huck » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:45 pm

TBH i hadn't thought about Arbeloa getting into the Spanish squad but  LB position is for sure Spain's weakest one. We all know that isn't his real position but he's getting all impressed with his awesome performances so far. I would pick him without any doubt, he's a the same time sober and daring, brilliant future ahead.

By the way, the current back four in Spanish squad  is usually :
RAMOS   PABLO   PUYOL   CAPDEVILLA/PERNIA

Obviously "improvable" except for Ramos and Puyol who are utter class.
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Postby username » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:58 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:I've been mightly impressed with Arbeloa and against Derby he looked amazing.

Didn't like the play acting though, when he grabbed his face when someone stood on his ankle.

You mean stood on his calf, and when you are really in pain, have you never held you head in distress?

Anyway, Arbeloa is a big improvement, he has been play well all season, and has earnt his postion  :buttrock
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:37 am

woof woof ! wrote:Thank f'uck Aurellio has been out injured , it's given Arbeloa the opportunity to show what many of us believed, the lads got what it takes.

I think Aurelio is back in training if I'm not mistaken? Anyone got any clarification on this?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby essexpoolfan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 pm

I think that one of the reasons he has progressed well is because there was no hype surrounding his signing unlike some of our other ones. This will have allowed him to just focus on his game and get on with it and it has benefited him.
essexpoolfan

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:10 pm

A little bit of justice. That Fagan bloke who stamped Arbeloa's calf on saturday just got a 3 match ban (subject to appeal). That'll learn him.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:46 pm

Well pleased with the lad's performances to date. Bargain methinks. Based on current form, he'd be my 1st choice LB at the mo.

He's more than earned it.
ConnO'var

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:01 pm

Bad Bob wrote:First team regular?  Not in my books, TBH.  He's a very useful utility player but I doubt we'll ever see him as a consistent fixture in our starting 11 when other defenders are fit.  If Aurelio were fit now, for instance, I doubt we'd have seen Arbeloa at all this season so far.

Time to hold my hand up, I reckon, and admit I've called this one wrong.  Arbeloa has demonstrated that he has got what it takes to be a consistent first team performer for us.  He's been a revelation this season at LB, which is the position he is least comfortable with in the back line.  He's generally sound defensively (can get drawn out of position on occasion but he's young and he's learning fast) and he offers quite a bit going forward (his great run onto the through ball, a deft switch of feet to elude a defender and a perfect ball to pick out Babel for our second against Derby, for instance).  My initial doubts were based on his end-of-season dip in form last season but since: a) he was not alone in that (how bad were a number of our players in the last few league games?) and b) it probably had a lot to do with playing next to the likes of Palletta, I think he can be forgiven.  I still have great hopes that Aurelio will show us his true colours this season but, whether he does or not, I think Arbeloa has earned his place in the first team and will take some ousting.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:10 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:First team regular?  Not in my books, TBH.  He's a very useful utility player but I doubt we'll ever see him as a consistent fixture in our starting 11 when other defenders are fit.  If Aurelio were fit now, for instance, I doubt we'd have seen Arbeloa at all this season so far.

Time to hold my hand up, I reckon, and admit I've called this one wrong.  Arbeloa has demonstrated that he has got what it takes to be a consistent first team performer for us.  He's been a revelation this season at LB, which is the position he is least comfortable with in the back line.  He's generally sound defensively (can get drawn out of position on occasion but he's young and he's learning fast) and he offers quite a bit going forward (his great run onto the through ball, a deft switch of feet to elude a defender and a perfect ball to pick out Babel for our second against Derby, for instance).  My initial doubts were based on his end-of-season dip in form last season but since: a) he was not alone in that (how bad were a number of our players in the last few league games?) and b) it probably had a lot to do with playing next to the likes of Palletta, I think he can be forgiven.  I still have great hopes that Aurelio will show us his true colours this season but, whether he does or not, I think Arbeloa has earned his place in the first team and will take some ousting.

I still keep my doubts. I want to see him more games and I want to see him put under more pressure. I didn't see much of him in Spain,he only played in primera one year, and he was quite unknown to me.

Needless to say, I'm happy with his games so far in this season.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge