Alvaro arbeloa....

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:26 am

One for the future, but doing a cracking job right now. He did have some poor form towards the close of last season but he is new to the english game and he's made the adjustment very well. I think, if we bring Heinze in, he and Finnan will be jostling for rightback more, which will be good for the squad. Not a bad buy at all and could turn out to be a right little gem in a season or two.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:31 am

Squad player and decent cheap buy to cover gaps here and there.

He's more comfortable in the right IMHO, basically because he's right footed.

But of course in that position it depends a lot who you have on front of you. Arbeloa has played with Riise on front of him when he played in the left, where as he played with Pennant on front when he played on the right, often. And he notices it, needless to say.

Finnan is a better defender than Arbeloa is, but it's handy to have Arbeloa around because you never know with injuries.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MightyLFC » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:31 am

Yes he is pretty good but if we get Henzie i think we should play him and keep Arbeloa as a sub.
MightyLFC

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:55 am

Arbeloa is a very good squad player for me. Based upon his dip in form toward the end of last season I currently wouldn't like to rely on him as our first choice RB or LB for a whole season. I was impressed by his early performances for us last season and especially being thrown in against Barca at the Nou Camp up against Messi (or was it Ronaldinho?) he performed admirably.
He's started this season quite well at LB and I think that he's been helped alot by having Riise in front of him but should Heinze finally sign for us I think he'll quickly find himself benched again.
A very good back up plan to have though and will be pushing Finnan alot more than the likes of Josemi and Kromkamp did.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:03 pm

weringo wrote:I hate seeing right footed players playing left back or vise-versa because it restricts our forward play a lot, other players can't simply lay the ball off to him for him to swing in a cross because he has to cut inside  or hit a poor one on his left. I do think though that he's a very useful backup for Finnan but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be a first team regular.

give him time jesus he is young some times i think pool fans exspect every player who comes to the club to be born of golden sperm.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1982 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:20 pm

I rate this boy, at £2.5m he's a steal and he can play anywhere across the back line, not gonna be easy getting games though with Finnan at right back so left back looks like the most likely position he'll be gettin games, especially if we can't get Heinze somehow
LFC1982

Postby redmikey » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:35 pm

i really like his playing style as he is a spanish finnan and that can't be a bad thing, cool calm collected and with fabio and kewell back the left side is sorted
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:28 pm

was excellent again last night.

has to be first choice left back at the moment imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:58 pm

stmichael wrote:was excellent again last night.

has to be first choice left back at the moment imo.

Totally agree, very impressive performance as were most of the players last night.
heimdall

Postby LFC1982 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:36 pm

I agree totally, offers so much more than Riise at full back, he was class all night going forward down the right linking with Yossi but for me the best thing he did all night was when he ran all the way to left back and covered Agger to get a block in, he's great and could be a mainstay in the team this year.
LFC1982

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:54 pm

he and yossi played absolutely fantastic together. and the way they went for the ball together. and how after tackling one particular player they gave each other a ''hi-5''. this team has alot of togetherness. =)
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:54 pm

LFC1982 wrote:I agree totally, offers so much more than Riise at full back, he was class all night going forward down the right linking with Yossi but for me the best thing he did all night was when he ran all the way to left back and covered Agger to get a block in, he's great and could be a mainstay in the team this year.

That was a great bit Carra-esqe piece of covering,looks a snip at £2.5m :)
Gracias King Rafa

Postby roberto green » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:04 pm

Arbeloa has beem one of the many outstanding players so far, i think alot of credit should go to him because a lot of us thought he was going to be another spanish gamble/flop, especially towards the end of last season when his form seemed to desert him, not only has he defended very well,(something riise cant do) but he can also go forward and link up very well with the midfield.you never know come may we might all be saying why the fuss about heinze last august.I think he has proved this to benitez now and i think benitez will leave cover to January now and review it then:O
roberto green

Postby mighty mo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:29 pm

i have been impressed with him in the games i seen this season since pre season, he really has cemented the left back berth and as a right footed player he has adapted quite well and has looked comfortable, looking a bargain at £2.5 mil, well done rafa
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:26 pm

His been one of our best players so far this season and in fact has been playing well since he arrived, only looked a bit dodgy last year when he was playing in a defence that had Palaeta and Insua in it.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge