Alvaro arbeloa....

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Effes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:23 am

stmichael wrote:He has the habit of drifting too close to his centre half when the play is on the other flank

Hmm, I'm of the understanding that that's the correct thing to do.
Whether he's too close or just close Im not sure.
Im not sure whether Rafa wants him to do any different.

His debut was Barca away, and he didn't do too badly there.
He hasn't looked back since.

I think he's perfect replacement for when Finnan hangs up his boots.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:31 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:His been one of our best players so far this season and in fact has been playing well since he arrived, only looked a bit dodgy last year when he was playing in a defence that had Palaeta and Insua in it.

insua has a massive future i think
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:05 am

RedBlood wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:His been one of our best players so far this season and in fact has been playing well since he arrived, only looked a bit dodgy last year when he was playing in a defence that had Palaeta and Insua in it.

insua has a massive future i think

The point is that he isnt ready to play in our first team right now so Arbeloa was playing with players who were not exactly reliable.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:46 am

I think he has turned out to be a really shrewd purchase by Rafa. Seems to be able to fill in in every position in defence, which is a huge asset for us. This season he's been great, especially going forward supporting our wingers. Rafa also seems to really rate him, isn't he the only player (except Reina) to have started each of our games so far this season?
JamCar05

Postby Wilhelmsson » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:25 pm

I wouldn’t call Arbeloa a ‘squad player’ after his performances since his arrival, I like the guy, he hasn’t put a foot wrong, and he has looked very sound in defence this season. I’d rather play him at the LB at the present time as I am not sure about Aurelio’s defensive capabilities and I don’t rate Riise as highly as most on here seem to.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby red37 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:19 pm

The more i see of this fella, the more impressed iam. Top acquisition for the squad. Solid, unfussed (calves like Mascherano)  :glare:  and hungry to support the attack. Just the type of player (quietly going about his job) that is as vital to the sides fortunes as the 'big' names are.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:20 pm

red37 wrote:The more i see of this fella, the more impressed iam. Top acquisition for the squad. Solid, unfussed (calves like Mascherano)  :glare:  and hungry to support the attack. Just the type of player (quietly going about his job) that is as vital to the sides fortunes as the 'big' names are.

I second that, apart from the calves thing ya big "gay"  :D
66-1112520797

Postby red37 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:22 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
red37 wrote:The more i see of this fella, the more impressed iam. Top acquisition for the squad. Solid, unfussed (calves like Mascherano)  :glare:  and hungry to support the attack. Just the type of player (quietly going about his job) that is as vital to the sides fortunes as the 'big' names are.

I second that, apart from the calves thing ya big "gay"  :D

Tell it to that Fagan tw*t.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JamCar05 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:03 pm

Another great game by Arbeloa. He's fulfilling his defensive duties while being a superb supporter for the wings when we're attacking. Involved in many a good move yesterday and has great vision for his teammates (as showed by his assist for Babels goal). He's fastly becoming our new unsong hero (all though he's receiving much praise on here, it seems like most others don't even know him really :D ). Should have also had been the reason for Fagan being sent off, when that utter moron stamped on Arbeloa... what a dick he was. Luckily it didn't hurt Arbeloa or have any influence on the outcome of the game, otherwise I would have been absolutely livid.
JamCar05

Postby Paul C » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:09 pm

I think the lad is mint, he came in and in one of his first games defended Ronaldinho off the park, anyone that can do that and also bomb forward like he did yesterday is top draw imo :cool:

I think he's good enough to deserve a starting place, with him ar left back and Finnan at right back with Agger and Carra in the middle I think we'd be water tight!! :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:13 pm

Don't think you can call the lad 'just a squad player' these days.  He's the only outfield player to play all of our games this season, so Rafa clearly trusts him.

I don't think playing on the left hinders him either, it certainly hasn't taken anything away from his attacking play (he's had a few assists already) and defensively he's not made any mistakes.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:20 pm

He is an improvement over riise that for sure (for his defensive qualities).

There is no weak link in our back 5 at the moment....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:02 pm

....he tackles like a lawnmower!   :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rafa D » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:57 am

I've been mightly impressed with Arbeloa and against Derby he looked amazing.

Didn't like the play acting though, when he grabbed his face when someone stood on his ankle.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:00 am

It was his calf and im sure that was quite painful. Still though he seems to be really settled now.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge