Planks in the starting line up - Games

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby azriahmad » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:25 pm

I am watching the Man U game live and they just scored. I'm getting fed-up with Houllier's choice of players and tactics.
Generally, Liverpool are playing well eith good passing and movements but why does the manager insist on playing planks in dodgy positions given their limited or utterly useless talents?
The plank of the day is Vladimir Smicer.
I know that Supersub has been praising Smicer for his form this season, perhaps he has been better than in previous years. But the fact remains that he is way out of his depth playing up front alongside Heskey and her has been guilty of standing rooted and admiring his colleague's build-up play with no movement and totally waiting for the final ball to his feet or head. He was in a good position in the Man U penalty area in the first half but what was he doing? Ball watching and the chance goes begging. Even if he were to get a clear chance, being a plank that he is, he'd probably fluff it!
What does Houllier see in this guy anyway? I am agonising here...excuse my aggro but you all must understand that like most of you, I am utterly frustrated right now....
Get rid of Houllier, get rid of his legion of planks; Smicer, Cheyrou, Carragher, Heskey (maybe?), my God, even Henchoz has become a plank and Hyppia is slowly becoming one...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenny`s mate » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:08 pm

sami hypia had a great game today,ok lfc played quite well again today and again lost,like chelsea,arsenal games 
they   start well then fall asleep,why heskey up front on his own

biscan,smicer,trorae all div 1 players seem to play most games,gh dropped diouf after the blackburn game probably one of his best and we justm beat fulham,a team i tipped to go down? i agree we have planks and a few to many,gh needs to buck up his ideas quick,or be on the next ferry back to france!

wn?
kenny`s mate

Postby supersub » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:59 pm

Firstly Diouf wasn't dropped he was suspended for the game against Fulham.
Today Hyypia had his best game for over a year.
Biscan had a good solid game.
Traore had a good game.
Finnan was probably m-o-m.
SG had another great game.
Heskey played well for 20 minutes,then he was a passenger.
Smicer started well linking the forward line with midfield but faded.
Kewell was quiet for most of the first half,but had the only shots of any note.
Murphy played well until he began his customary give the ball away tricks when under no pressure.
Diouf had an excellent game.I was surprised he came off and Heskey stayed on.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:20 am

Prior to the 2002/2003 season, Liverpool had the measure of Man U, oftern beating them at Anfield and at Old Trafford because the players raise their game when they play Man U. However, these were undone by inconsistent games against lesser teams such as the Charltons and the Boltons. Hence, at the end of the season, Liverpool faded behind Arsenal or Man U.
This season, the inconsistent form against smaller teams remain but at the same time, Liverpool has become unable to hold their own against Arsenal, Chelsea and now Man U, even while playing at home. The winning mentality is not there and the ability to grind out results is also missing. This is not championship material. Look at Arsenal, there had bardly been any squad strengthening but they have deep resolve and grit. The same can be said of Man U. Chelsea has bought quality with their money and has thus become very competitive.
Liverpool have bought over the years but our players somehow become worse over time. Bad/poor management and player development? Here is a short list of players who have become planks over time: Riise, Hyppia (although he is getting better now but still short of his best), Henchoz, Smicer (he was never good enough to play for Liverpool in the first place), Carrager, Heskey....I can go on but my player knowledge is not as good as supersub's.
What do you think, supersub? Wither Liverpool's long term outlook, given the regression tendency Houllier's management is bringing about these recent times? Too many planks to become a true force in the premiership?
I always like to read supersub's response because he is very analytical in his views.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:31 am

I believe our squad is,man for man,as strong as the top 3,but we have suffered with the loss of Hamann and Baros.Whereas Arsenal,Manu and Chelsea are able to win when playing poorly we are not,mainly because we haven't got a goal-scorer to take on the mantle if Owen is injured or not firing on all cylinders and only Harry Kewell is contributing goals from the midfield.We seem to be incapable of finishing off the opposition when we are playing well,whilst the top 3 always bag a hatful.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 116-1065305004 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:32 am

Planks in the starting line up?
The problem is we have got a Plank in the dugout and hes French! :angry:
116-1065305004

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:40 am

He is not just any plank, mind you. He was given so much time that he has grown into a tree while sitting in the dugout.... Before long, he will have such a deep root that all those planks around him will also transform into trees!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:53 am

does this mean we can do a self build brand new stadium using eco-friendly materials like oak and pine.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:04 am

If you can live with dodgy French wood and even dodgier cosmopolitan wood with exotic sounding names but of dubious quality and functionality. Perhaps we can make a good display statue of a Heskey-esq oak and put it at the gates to frighten visiting opposition defence!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenny`s mate » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:59 am

supersub i dont think we watch the same team?
MAN FOR MAN AS strong as the top three,i dont agree which side in the top three would troae get into,who would he replace?biscan in man utds side,never,smicer playing for the a#se?none of these players would get into any one of these teams,even sit on the bench.
liverpool have bought average players like this for a few years now,i wish a barns,mcmahon,beardsley could all be around the c
orner but their not.GH needs to act quick,as everyone expects us to win games like,pompey,chalton,and we slip up yet again.
this season could well be over,as far as the title is concered,i hope im wrong. :p  :p  :p
kenny`s mate

Postby supersub » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:02 pm

Who would Phil Neville replace in the midfield,would you drop Finnan for Gary Neville.There is only Keane,Scholes and perhaps a hungry Giggs who a good enough for our squad but 2 of them are nearing the end of their careers and can't put as much into a game as they use too.Defensively manu aren't the team they use to be.Kirkland is a better prospect than Howard.If you watched the games against the top 3 you must have seen we were the better side for long periods but we lack the killer touch of a decent centre-forward.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:30 pm

In my opinion it is the midfield in which we are weaker than Arsenal, manu and now Chelski. On paper we should be as good as them but our strengths are not proving thus this season and we have lost any advantages we might have gained. If only Owen and Baros could play most of the season up front together, if only the defence was as strong as it has been in the past and if only we could improve the midfield but, lacking the depth of quality, we can't

manu/Liverpool XI

GK Kirkland
LB Silvestre/Riise
CB Hyypia/Ferdinand
CB Henchoz
RB Finnan
LM Kewell/Giggs
CM Gerrard
CM Scholes
RM Solksjaer/Diouf
CF Owen
CF Van Nistelrooy

I reckon there could be as many as 9 Liverpool players or as many as 6 manu players.

Arsenal/Liverpool XI

GK Kirkland/Lehmann
LB Cole/Riise
CB Hyypia/Campbell
CB Henchoz
RB Finnan
LM Kewell/Ljungberg
CM Gerrard
CM Vieira
RM Pires
CF Owen
CF Henry

You couldn't really go wrong if you included any of the players listed above and the subs bench would be fantastic too
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:24 pm

supersub wrote:I believe our squad is,man for man,as strong as the top 3,but we have suffered with the loss of Hamann and Baros.Whereas Arsenal,Manu and Chelsea are able to win when playing poorly we are not,mainly because we haven't got a goal-scorer to take on the mantle if Owen is injured or not firing on all cylinders and only Harry Kewell is contributing goals from the midfield.We seem to be incapable of finishing off the opposition when we are playing well,whilst the top 3 always bag a hatful.

I don't think so supersub, we lack 2 or 3 quality players to really boost our squad to that level.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - Games