LIVERPOOL VS VALARENGA - K/o 18:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ethanr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:19 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
ethanr wrote:
anti-hero wrote:
ethanr wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:Aqua plays 10 minutes and he is our man of the match!

Agree with that..

Carra, looks time to hang up your boots.  16 goals conceded in 4 games and you have been at the heart of almost every single one...  Absolute garbage.  His age has caught up to him.

thats a little too much exaggeration imo. but you cant fault him for all of the goals. without going back to the other preseason friendlies, i think the full backs did pretty badly today and were at fault for the goals.

Sorry actually 20 goals in 5 matches.

I'm not blaming it all on Carra, but the fact is that he's in charge of the defense.  He's not properly taking charge and his mates are making mistakes because of it.  Not only that, but he's probably made more defensive mistakes than any other CB we've played.

Summary of Conceded Goals

Guangdong
Goal 1 - Kelly / Carragher / Wilson / Flanagan
Goal 2 - Robinson / Agger / Kyrgiakos / Wisdom
Goal 3 - Robinson / Agger / Kyrgiakos / Wisdom

Malaysia XI
Goal 1 - Flanagan / Carragher / Agger / Robinson
Goal 2 - Kelly / Kyrgiakos / Wilson / Insua
Goal 3 - Kelly / Kyrgiakos / Wilson / Insua

Hull
Goal 1 - Robinson / Carragher / Ayala / Kelly
Goal 2 - Robinson / Carragher / Ayala / Kelly
Goal 3 - Flanagan / Kyrgiakos / Wilson / Insua

Galatasaray
Goal 1 - Flanagan / Kyrgiakos / Kelly / Insua
Goal 2 - Flanagan / Kyrgiakos / Kelly / Insua
Goal 3 - Flanagan / Kyrgiakos / Kelly / Insua

Valerenga
Goal 1 - Robinson / Carragher / Agger / Johnson
Goal 2 - Robinson / Carragher / Agger / Johnson
Goal 3 - Flanagan / Carragher / Agger / Kelly

Player Summary (goals per game)
Carragher - 4 Games / 7 Goals (1.75)
Agger - 3 Games / 6 Goals (2)
Kyrgiakos - 4 Games / 8 Goals (2)
Wilson - 3 Games / 4 Goals (1.33)
Flanagan - 5 Games / 6 Goals (1.2)
Robinson - 4 Games / 7 Goals (1.75)
Kelly - 5 Games / 9 Goals (1.8)
Johnson - 1 Game / 2 Goals (2)
Insua - 3 Games / 6 Goals (2)
Ayala - 1 Game / 2 Goals (2)
Wisdom - 1 Game / 2 Goals (2)

Ahh See I thought Carra was in all of last game but I've confused him with Carroll.  Also thought he was involved with a couple other goals.

Thanks SCS for proving me wrong with statistics and fact, not opinion people try to force as fact, nice to see you genuinely prove me wrong.

However, I will not pull back my belief that Carra has been garbage this entire preseason, because he has consistently made a lot of mistakes.

What that shows me is that our entire defense has been complete rubbish this preseason.  Playing for Liverpool against garbage teams like that, nobody should have an average of over 1.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby killerp » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:02 am

Good to see we can score goals but for fe.cks sake, whats going on in defence?

3 goals conceded again! worst backline in preseason, that trophy we win easy.
killerp

Postby alwayslfc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:23 am

Well that was 3 goals conceded consequtively in 5 games ie 15 goals and those teams were 2nd rated teams, imagine how many goals we would have conceded if those were top premiership sides? Scarely thought. That tells us something about our defence. This is the Archiceles heel of Liverpool at the moment. We definitely need 2 new quality central defenders if we are to stand any chance of not being thrashed by 3 goals week in week out when the new season starts.
alwayslfc

Postby alwayslfc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:33 am

I have always been notorious for being a negative fan but I think these pre season games have nothing positive to look forward to. Conceding 15 goals in 5 games against teams equivalent to our 2nd Division clubs at best. What if they had been the top 4 premiership sides? Scary thought indeed. We need 2 new quality central defenders otherwise, Liverpool will be in the bottom half again come the new season.

Big John said before the Norway game that anything less than top 4 finish will be a disappointment. I believe, he was sending a gentle and polite warning to Kenny that his job will be at stake if we don't qualify for CL. He was clearly not happy with the preseason friendly results. Had we won all those games impressively he wouldn't have made that sort of comment.

I hope Kenny hasn't lost his edge. He is much loved and adored by fans including myself because of his immensely successful past track  record as manager. I had mixed feelings about his appointment in January because I feared he might not be able to repeat the successes of his first spell and by looking at the results of the friendlies, this is looking more likely.

I will be sad to see his return ending in resigning or being sacked. By the end of October, all of us will know whether he still can deliver the goods or not. I will be very sad and grieved if he goes but then the positive note is that, let's be honest, he is and will not be here for the long haul even if he is successful. His past tenures as manager in other clubs had not been long esp. with Blackburn when he quit soon after winning the PL with them. Up to this day I still don't know why he left Blackburn so abruptly having freshly won the PL with them. He left us so suddenly 20 yrs ago because of stress. Today's managerial job of a top premiership side like us is at least 2 times more stressful compare to back then and knowing him and his age, how long can he last with the immense stresses of today's football?
alwayslfc

Postby parchpea » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 am

We have concerns and rightly so but it is ultimately pre season so until that league campaign kicks off we dont really need to get too over excited about some poor performances. Whatever happens with Dalglish I feel safe in the knowledge that if it is not working out he wont hang about like a bad smell for a pay day and will walk, the guy wont ever need sacking from this club. Henry was there and surely its plain as day we need defensive reinforcements so hopefully they will be looking into that and trying to sort it out before the bick kick off.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:22 am

There are some positives.  For one, I think Downing and Adam had really promising games for us against Valarenga, which are our 2 main signings.  Carroll looks to get on the end of a lot of the set pieces and balls in, and Aqua is playing very well.

Hopefully there are good things to look forward to, but I can't help but worry about the Sunderland game.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby alwayslfc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:42 am

parchpea wrote:We have concerns and rightly so but it is ultimately pre season so until that league campaign kicks off we dont really need to get too over excited about some poor performances. Whatever happens with Dalglish I feel safe in the knowledge that if it is not working out he wont hang about like a bad smell for a pay day and will walk, the guy wont ever need sacking from this club. Henry was there and surely its plain as day we need defensive reinforcements so hopefully they will be looking into that and trying to sort it out before the bick kick off.

[quote]

It's nice to hear some positive comment for a change when the confidence of fans are a bit low at the moment.

If the worst happens and we're at the bottom after the first month and Kenny resigns, who will be the best man to take over? I cannot think of anyone. This is worrying time for Liverpool.
alwayslfc

Postby Reg » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:34 am

Reg wrote:3-0 to them if form is anything to go by.

I got 1/2 of it right...
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:55 am

Defence was shambolic last night.  Midfield didnt press in the first half which didnt help.  attack was too one dimensional... we were just playing long balls and trying to get crosses into Carroll.

Aqua was obviously the main positive.  He is a class player and was involved in all our attacking play in his short time on the pitch.   Nice to see the lads get closer to match fitness for the Sunderland game.

I know its only the minority, but any talk of a new manager is f.ucking pathetic.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:57 am

alwayslfc wrote:
parchpea wrote:We have concerns and rightly so but it is ultimately pre season so until that league campaign kicks off we dont really need to get too over excited about some poor performances. Whatever happens with Dalglish I feel safe in the knowledge that if it is not working out he wont hang about like a bad smell for a pay day and will walk, the guy wont ever need sacking from this club. Henry was there and surely its plain as day we need defensive reinforcements so hopefully they will be looking into that and trying to sort it out before the bick kick off.

It's nice to hear some positive comment for a change when the confidence of fans are a bit low at the moment.

If the worst happens and we're at the bottom after the first month and Kenny resigns, who will be the best man to take over? I cannot think of anyone. This is worrying time for Liverpool.

I wouldn't say your posts should be classed as negative, I think depressing is nearer the mark.

How you can make 3-3 draw in a friendly into Kenny resigning by Xmas is beyond me.

I hope you don't work for the Samaritans or we're all doomed.
Last edited by Boocity on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:We don't want to get to the point we were at in the mid-90's where we were overly reliant on has-beens and not-good-enoughs in defence.

Lando's back.

Woohoo  :buttrock
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:38 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:We don't want to get to the point we were at in the mid-90's where we were overly reliant on has-beens and not-good-enoughs in defence.

Lando's back.

:buttrock

welcome back!
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby RedAnt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm usually totally optimistic in all things. After our pre-season so far though I have to admit to being nervous. I don't think Carra can be blamed too much. Our problem is the fullback positions. We have some great young rightbacks with lots of potential. I fear though that we can't rely on them for an entire season. I think it's just a little too soon. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong!

Glen Johnson though and Aurellio....eeeep. Good players sure in an attacking sense, but any half decent winger is going to make mincemeat of them. I'm afraid we might need to use two defensive mids in order to negate attacking threats from the wings. That of course makes us light up top. It's also sooo negative and very Rafa-esque.

If we don't manage to fill these holes, we may need to rely on a Kevin Keegan style mentality and go for the old "score more than them" routine. Footballs changed a lot in the last 5 or so years and perhaps that mentaility is obsolete.

Still, I guess i'm just posting this because it's preseaon and i'm filling the void! These ARE friendlies. Yeah it's good to win friendlies, but it really, really means nothing. We're about heart, soul and passion. Playing for the badge should be motivation enough, right, but when there's nothing to lose who cares?

If we hammer Sunderland first game of the season then everything suddenly changes and we're all upbeat again. So my attitude has changed in the time it took to type this!

I'm totally optimistic again :D
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Greavesie wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:

Lando's back.

welcome back!

Beware the wrath of Lando

Lando
Last edited by Reg on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 am

The Good Yank wrote:Sama was on for the last goal today.  We had 5 defenders on at the end.

i'm getting worried...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games