Will it still be as good? - When the glory days return?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby EddieC » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:46 pm

Unlike some on here, I wasn't fortunate to grow up with the great Liverpool teams of yesteryear, I started supporting Liverpool at 6 years old in the late eighties and so have pretty much always been used to European qualification and winning the odd cup being the norm.

However these last couple of seasons, like most I have seen good times on the horizon again. Two major trophies in Rafa's first two seasons, but more importantly the squad starting to look much better year on year. I was sitting there today thinking about the last weeks results, the money coming into the club, new stadium etc, generally feeling positive about the direction the club's going, when something hit me. Will victory still be as sweet when it's the norm?

Istanbul was, and I'm pretty sure will always be, the greatest night of my life as a Liverpool fan. Would that night have meant so much to me if we were regularly winning things year in year out. I have the misfortune of having a couple of manc fans in the family, I remember through the mid nineties they didn't seem to get that excited when they clinched the league title for another season. I remember thinking 'WTF? I'd be jumping for joy now if that was us' was it just them, or does winning not mean us much when you win all the time?

As I said at the start of this post, I wasn't around during the glory years, but I know a lot of you were. Did it lose some of its shine, or was winning just as good no matter how many times it had been?
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:01 pm

I was born in 1985 so I too missed the glory years sadly. However just because my time as a Liverpool fan has not been decorated with as many trophies as the 1970's and 80's I still consider them to be among the best moments in my life.

I was a child growing up when Fowler emerged onto the scene and I was Fowler every lunchtime and after school when playing football with my mates. Watching this lad as a kid was amazing and I felt a special connection with Robbie being the local boy turned good. I consider him my all time footballing hero and it will be a sad day when he hangs up the boots.

The treble of 2000, the Coca Cola Cup in 94 and the more recent successes in the cups have all made me proud to be a Liverpool fan. I do crave the Premiership, I hate it but I do.

However I can never imagine myself getting bored of winning trophies. Its your history and your heritage and if I ever say " oh its just another trophy" ever - you have permission to slap my face with a fish.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:27 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Watching this lad as a kid was amazing and I felt a special connection with Robbie being the local boy turned good.

You're from Birkenhead aren't you? ???
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby destro » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:28 pm

When the time comes i will never tire of celebrating each victory as though it was our first no matter how many times we win the PREM, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, F.A CUP or the other one ( no point naming it cos it always changes its name :D )

Ive seen the great players come and go and often wondered how we would replace them, but each time we have. Its sad that there isnt a up and coming star whos worked his way through the ranks just waiting to explode but times change and the pressure of competing for and winning trophies is in my opinion bigger than its ever been, so big that there just isnt time to wait or take a chance on a "rookie" ,it seems that they get overlooked in favour of a so called proven player who costs so much but more often than not fails to deliver.

Sorry went a bit off topic there ?

I also have M.U fans in my family  :no  and they just seem more happy that we HAVENT won it more than the fact they have ( go figure ) its not even arrogance with them its more relief.

But i will cheer everything we win just as loudly as the one before it as Rafa creates another bastion of invincibilty
destro

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:13 pm

I remember the 1971 FA Cup Final.

I remember the 74 FA Cup final, the pain of the 77 FA cup lose to .....     and Rome the following week. Playing the Toffees at Wembly - thanks Rushie for so much. The UEFA Cup nights and Supersub. I even felt sorry for Borussia Monchengladbach - good lads who always worked hard on the field and lost. I remember the week in, week out magic of the dream team. I remember 58,000 crammed into Anfield. I remember the dark days and the pain we all felt.

But the glory days never left, they were always there. Michael Owen beating Arsenal in the FA Cup final in Cardiff, beating the Gordie boys in two thrilling games 12 months apart.  4-3 in the UEFA final,  Liverpool 5 Germany 1. A host of small victories alongside the great ones waiting for the club to regain its confidence.

We are back. See it from any european club's point of view..... Fowler, Owen, UEFA Cup win. Gerrard, Alonzo, CL win in 2005.  We beat Barcelona, thrashed PSV, known to be the regular slayer of Chelsea in cup competitions. They're not daft, they know we're back in town...... three english clubs in the semi's of the CL....... Man Utd..... Liverpool...... Chelsea....... English footie is back at the top and from every european clubs perspective.... 'Oh sh!t, Liverpool are back'.

If we make it to Athens and I have every confidence we will, 10 minutes prior to kick off I'd open a wee side gate and let a few suited lads out onto the pitch for a walkround. Specifically Mr Dalglish, Rush, Souness, Fowler, Ray Kennedy bless him, Hansen and Molby. If that doesnt represent the chrysalis from the old team to the new then nothing will.... imagine the roar, the passion.... the tears.

God I love the Reds.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Reg wrote:I remember the 1971 FA Cup Final.

I remember the 74 FA Cup final, the pain of the 77 FA cup lose to .....     and Rome the following week. Playing the Toffees at Wembly - thanks Rushie for so much. The UEFA Cup nights and Supersub. I even felt sorry for Borussia Monchengladbach - good lads who always worked hard on the field and lost. I remember the week in, week out magic of the dream team. I remember 58,000 crammed into Anfield. I remember the dark days and the pain we all felt.

But the glory days never left, they were always there. Michael Owen beating Arsenal in the FA Cup final in Cardiff, beating the Gordie boys in two thrilling games 12 months apart.  4-3 in the UEFA final,  Liverpool 5 Germany 1. A host of small victories alongside the great ones waiting for the club to regain its confidence.

We are back. See it from any european club's point of view..... Fowler, Owen, UEFA Cup win. Gerrard, Alonzo, CL win in 2005.  We beat Barcelona, thrashed PSV, known to be the regular slayer of Chelsea in cup competitions. They're not daft, they know we're back in town...... three english clubs in the semi's of the CL....... Man Utd..... Liverpool...... Chelsea....... English footie is back at the top and from every european clubs perspective.... 'Oh sh!t, Liverpool are back'.

If we make it to Athens and I have every confidence we will, 10 minutes prior to kick off I'd open a wee side gate and let a few suited lads out onto the pitch for a walkround. Specifically Mr Dalglish, Rush, Souness, Fowler, Ray Kennedy bless him, Hansen and Molby. If that doesnt represent the chrysalis from the old team to the new then nothing will.... imagine the roar, the passion.... the tears.

God I love the Reds.

That brought a tear to the eye and not the japseye you dirty b.astards! Great post!
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:28 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:Watching this lad as a kid was amazing and I felt a special connection with Robbie being the local boy turned good.

You're from Birkenhead aren't you? ???

Whats that got to do with anything  ???

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:04 pm

I was born in 1960 and have been lucky enough to see Liverpool Football club win everything.One of my earliest recollections, was being taken to see the victorious 1965 cup winners parade.My Dads hero was Roger Hunt,and he had told me Roger was my uncle.While all the other kids went home from that victory parade delighted, I remember crying all the way home as ""Uncle Roger" hadnt waved to me.I have been to a few homecomings since then and gone home a lot happier. I took my son to his first victory parade in 2005,then again last year, fingers crossed for this May.

Winning titles became the norm.On occasions the championship trophy was awarded before kick off at the last home game to miminise the fuss at full time.With a few FA Cups and Uefas Cup thrown in and
our 4 European Cups,we as Liverpool fans were spoilt.We expected success and we got it.

To answer your question,on a personal note,winning the league did lose some of its shine.Of course I always wanted Liverpool to win it,but it was expected as I said we were spoilt.
We have had our barren years, winning will become the norm again.Is been a long time coming,but Iam just about ready to celebrate a league title again.

Just to throw a spanner in the works,If anyone said to me now you are guaranteed the league next season,or the European Cup this season. Ill take Old big Ears.I told you I was spoilt Leagues Ive seen all that give me number 6
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:10 pm

Its even sweeter now....

I was at the 1985 European semi-final and NO WAY was it as bouncing
as the Chelsea semi.

We've been starved of success (bar 2001 and 2005) so it tastes sweeter this time
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm with Effes, it does seem sweeter this time.
I remember in the eighties though, when we were winning the lot. I wanted us to go in the World Cup because we'd won everything else - league titles were taken for granted (in my young, naive eyes) and I wanted more.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:38 pm

i honestly believe that mascherano is the start of the glory days returning (because this guy has the real quality we require) no offence to alonso and sissoko, but mascher is a diffrent class

if in the summer we can net one superb goal getter, who the rush/fowler killer instinct and a winger with the match winning ability of christiano ronaldo

then next season could be the start of premiership domination
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby kunilson » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:44 pm

born in 1984 i only started watching the pool in the late eighties/early nineties also.....so premiership domination will be something im not used to, but i cant wait for it to happen.

BUT even if we got eto'o and quaresma or whatever im not gonna be building my hopes up for anything this time because the early part of this season especially was hard to take.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:47 pm

LittleHobo wrote:i honestly believe that mascherano is the start of the glory days returning (because this guy has the real quality we require) no offence to alonso and sissoko, but mascher is a diffrent class

if in the summer we can net one superb goal getter, who the rush/fowler killer instinct and a winger with the match winning ability of christiano ronaldo

then next season could be the start of premiership domination

He's in a different class than Alonso? ???  The hype has officially reached silly proportions!  :no

The lad's a fantastic addition and should, in time, help us to achieve a great deal.  But to consider him a cut above Alonso after three matches in a red shirt is madness.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:06 am

Masherano is a class act. I cannot fathom what went wrong at West Ham.

Masherano, Alonso and Gerrard for me for now on. Sissoko may have long legs which help win a lot of ball, but so did Djimi Traore and stopping the opposition playing will only get you so far. Masherano can stop teams playing and also use the ball a bit, something Sissoko is sadly lacking. Momo's touch for a player who competes at the highest level is shocking and a spell on the sidelines might do him no harm at this stage as he really needs to improve his skills if we are to win championships.

It will be very sweet when we finally win the League Championship, in its own way as sweet as Istanbul.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:48 am

He's in a different class than Alonso?   The hype has officially reached silly proportions!   

Good point that, it seems to of gone well overboard, its exactly the same as the hype that was built up around Gonzalez and Kuyt even.
66-1112520797

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion