We need Barnes magic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby AHAK » Sat May 24, 2003 1:13 pm

In my opinion we have never ever, ever replaced john Barnes.  Some of u may say we had macca... but as an out and out winger/provider and 15 goal a season scorer Barnesy was the best.

its about ten years late, but who should we buy to replace him?
I'm going for duff.  Pace/ dribbling ability and an eye for goal.
Are their any good Euro wingers who could do it for us?
AHAK

Postby Ant » Sat May 24, 2003 6:39 pm

Barnes was a genius and duff is totally in the same mould...thoses runs he makes down the left are just like the barnes of '89 and if we had him in our side we maybe we could play like that team too...
Ant

Postby its cold in the stands sh » Sat May 24, 2003 8:29 pm

duffs a cracking player but nowhere near as good as barnes.
i`ve watched us for donkeys and i think only kenny was better than a young john.maybe souness as well.
beating two or three men on mazy dribbles was commonplace but most importantly his final ball or cross was quality too.
he wasn`t one of these flashy types with no end product.
in my eyes a true reds legend.
its cold in the stands sh

Postby Brian Lord » Tue May 27, 2003 1:21 pm

who the f##k is john barnes??
sounds like a tractor making company.
Brian Lord

Postby AHAK » Tue May 27, 2003 6:50 pm

Nicely put Brian 'GAY' LORD.
Thanx 4 ur input but....Never ever....EVER! Diss Mr Barnes! :p  :0
AHAK

Postby gaz31 » Tue May 27, 2003 11:32 pm

old digger barnes was fab i dont think even duff is as good but ido think we should give berger more games he is a good player and he has a cracking shot on him,
you may not agree with me but everyones entitled to an opinion arent they? :D
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby AHAK » Wed May 28, 2003 12:19 am

gaz31 wrote:you may not agree with me but everyones entitled to an opinion arent they? :D

lol at gaz

excuse me for flippin at brian he sounded like a Man u fan.  My scum radar wz goin haywire!

I agree wid u tho. Duff isnt better than Barnesy..I cant think of a winger in the modern era who will come close.

But duffy will do for now............... :D
AHAK

Postby Brian Lord » Wed May 28, 2003 6:04 pm

AHAK wrote:Nicely put Brian 'GAY' LORD.
Thanx 4 ur input but....Never ever....EVER! Diss Mr Barnes! :p  :0

Why , who is he??
Brian Lord

Postby gaz31 » Thu May 29, 2003 12:12 am

yeah i agree with AHAK duff will do and he could improve at liverpool a great deal  :)
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:07 pm

Lordy,Lordy miss claudy I can't pass this post by because it refers to the best left winger ever to wear the red shirt.
     Let's start at the beginning:The signing of John Barnes during the summer of 1987 was greeted with some scepticism by many Liverpool supporters,including myself.For weeks the 'will he or won't he sign' headlines,had been dominating the back pages,with Barnes said to be holding out for a better offer from a top continental club.There was also a school of thought that John Barnes was perhaps a little to individualistic for the Liverpool side.But he eventually signed for a fee of £900,000 and almost from the start set the Football League and Merseyside alight with his exhilarating displays.Dalglish's intuition had paid off yet again.With Beardsley and Aldridge in attack,Ray Houghton added to the midfield and John Barnes on the wing,Liverpool took on a new look.The endeavour and commitment that had been the hallmark of so many Liverpool sides of the pastsuddenly gave way to a new adventurous flair,epitomised by Barnes' dashing chases down the flanks.He was a revelation.Barnes had never shown the same spirit in an England shirt-although one of his mazy dances through the Brazilian defence had resulted in what was descibed as the best goal ever scored in the Maracana stadium.Now John Barnes was repeating that sort of form at Anfield and the crowds flocked to see him,with the 'gates closed' signs going up every week.When he was on the ball there was a sense of expectation.Against Queen's Park Rangers Digger,as he was known by players and fans alike,scored,in my humble opinion,the best individual goal I've seen at Anfield.He pulled the ball over the halfway line and began a run that swept him past four defenders before he fired a low shot into the corner of the net.By the time he was approaching the penalty area the whole of Anfield was on its feet.You could feel the roof lift when the goal was scored.By the end of the season John Barnes had scored 15 goals in 38 games and was voted Player of the Year by both the Football Writers and the PFA.He won Championship medals in 1988 and 1990 and a Cup winners' medal in 1989.He missed most of season 1991-92 through injury.Season 1994-95 saw John Barnes in a new position,operating in front of the defence,where his ability to hold the ball and set up passes proved to be highly effective.This was a major factor in Liverpool's victory in the Coca-Cola Cup against Bolton.At the end of season 1996-97 John Barnes left Liverpool and joined Kenny Dalglish at Newcastle.John Barnes will always be remembered as one of the most cavalier attackers in the club's history.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby AHAK » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:55 pm

AMEN!
AHAK

Postby jaypap » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:15 am

i totally agree, but i think we have a great opportunity to get someone i believe can create the same level of expectation...kewel is about to sign with arsenal and if houllier has half a brain, he'll make sure he gets him to liverpool...otherwise, does barnes have any kids?
jaypap

Postby supersub » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:52 am

Kewel would be the perfect signing for us this summer.The competition for his signature will be tough.Will Leeds except Heskey and cash?Does Harry wan't Champions league football?Now beckum tart looks set to be dumped by man u will they be in the driving seat to sign Kewel?
Come on Houllier bust a gut to get Harry Kewel on board the roller-coaster ride to the championship 2003/2004.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby gaz31 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:04 am

GOOD CASLL SSUB I THINK HK WOULD BE A GOOD CATCH BUT WILL HE COME HERE?
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:17 am

GAZ I think the only chance we have of getting him is if we offer big bucks to him personally.The days of every player wanting to come to Anfield before going anywhere else have sadly gone.We seem to be third or fourth choice now.
         Bring on the new season!

Hail the Champions for 2003/2004
supersub
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion