Was sander allowed as many slip up's ? - Basic errors costing us dear early on.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:42 pm

There are many basic areas of the game and defending you expect a goalkeeper to master. Some of the easier ones are laid out below...

1)  Catching the ball - an absolute must. All good keepers, (and even the crappy ones) have got to be able to catch the ball. Especially in pressure situations, and whilst being challenged or under pressure. Not like the unfortunate incident at Anfield against Manchester City. Cost to the team luckily nothing, but a worrying sign.

2)  Near post - keepers should never be beaten at the near post. No excuses. Not like the unfortunate incident against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane. Cost to the team LOST 2pts.

3)  Commanding the six yard box - all keepers are expected to command the area, all should be in charge in the six yard box, and the better keepers also boss the whole of the 18 yard box. Indecision when the ball comes across the six yard box is simply not good enough. An example is the game against Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok stadium, when they scored following an innoxuous looking ball across the face of goal which I expected the keeper to deal with. Cost to the team LOST 3pts.

So here we are just three games in and already Jerzy has managed to lose an unbeleivable 5 points, if he is allowed to keep his place, and continue at this rate all season, my calculations means we will have 50 points from a possible 114. Mid table mediocrity here we come. . .
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:49 pm

I think you are a bit strong with your last point Leon but overall I agree with what you are saying.

"Broken capillaries" Ferguson used to say that Schmeichel was worth 10 extra points to the Scum a season, and the opposite is true of certain dody keepers.

I think Jerzy won't be the main factor if we struggle (which we won't) but he is not the top class player he looked in 2001/02.

He will cost us some points this season.

I think, however, that Benitez sees other areas of the side as having priority at the moment but it is significant that he was strongly linked to Catalyud of Malaga in the summer.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby kazza » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:54 pm

I agree, not good enough. I would have thought we could have scored more than zero goals. Especially against Bolton's poor defence.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:56 pm

he was a godsend when he came but I reckon the world cup destroyed him he hasnt been the same since

Kirkland injuries have helped Dudek but maybe he knows deep down that with a fit Kirkland he will be on the bench

After a season with Liverpool the world cup did come as a shock seeing him floundering.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:58 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I think you are a bit strong with your last point Leon but overall I agree with what you are saying.

Which point is a bit strong JBG ? ?

Are we now bum chums as you agreed with my point (RE: your comments last week about me and Stu) ? ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:59 pm

dudek's dip in form coincided with that dreadful run we had after being top of the league after 12 games and then not winning a game for nearly three months. westerveld made nowhere near as many mistakes as dudek has. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:28 pm

dudek was at fault for all 3 goals we conceded in epl. he was beaten at his near post against spurs, he dropped an easy ball against man city and went for a cross that wasn't his against bolton
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:57 pm

Have you ever seen Lehmann, Barthez play in goal for their teams?!?!

thing is the further you go back to the line of defence the more likely he's gonna get slated for making an error that an outfield player.
109-1093441336

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:47 pm

stapo1000 wrote:dudek was at fault for all 3 goals we conceded in epl. he was beaten at his near post against spurs, he dropped an easy ball against man city and went for a cross that wasn't his against bolton

Nice one stappo, I forgot to mention that . ? . ? . ? . ? .
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:50 pm

Dudek needs to be a 'bench warmer' :cool:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby murphy0151 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:14 pm

stapo1000 wrote:dudek was at fault for all 3 goals we conceded in epl. he was beaten at his near post against spurs, he dropped an easy ball against man city and went for a cross that wasn't his against bolton

The cross wasnt his, are you haven a laff.  I thought he should off well had it in his grasp, easily if he werent such a s##t house he would have.  He seen a player running in at him an thought oh god I might snap me new finger nails.

The sooner Chris kirkland is back the better.    Anoyne got any idea when he will be back?
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:22 pm

murphy0151 wrote:The sooner Chris kirkland is back the better.    Anoyne got any idea when he will be back?

ASAP.

What happened to you yesterday ??
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:44 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:The sooner Chris kirkland is back the better.    Anoyne got any idea when he will be back?

ASAP.

What happened to you yesterday ??

I just thought id chew me pillow for the day mate. 

To many little fellas sat night.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:00 pm

I don't think Kirkland will cut the mustard. What's the bet that he is injured again before Xmas. Bet his girlfriend is a nurse !! :D
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:08 pm

Dudek  is a clown and his uncertainty  and anxiety is spreading through the Liverpool defence with all the haste of the Ebola virus .  I counted 4 separate  occasions  when Dudek should have gathered the ball instead of punching it aside  he surely can not be allowed to weaken the solidity of our defence .

The good news is Garcia and Alonso look class acts and Warnock could be a  revelation ,     and in  patches albeit all to few we passed the ball incisively and intelligently but its them small shards of hope we should be looking for because that’s the type of one touch fluent passing we want to see Benitez introduce .Liverpool were disjointed ( New fleet street word instead of inconsistent ) but we knew this would happen there are still players at Liverpool who are not comfortable keeping possession .
Dudek though is a liability and should be replaced at the earliest opportunity  but lets not dwell on that Liverpool will eventually gell into a great team and Benitez will definitely  manage a side capable of challenging for all honours but not yet ! although the groundwork is in place  :D :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion