Transfers - Who do you want in and out?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:54 am

I feel the current squad is pretty settled for players fighting in every position, but I would still like some players to come in and of course some to go out.

Out:
Kewell (depending on form) for around 5 mill. His form last year improved but if he has a bad year this time out he will have to go I'm affraid.

Zenden, lucky to get 1 mill. May of been injured last year but when he did play didn't look like he was good enough.

Garcia, ould get up to 8 mill off some Spanish team. His goals have been priceless and much appriciated but other than those goals he doesn't contribute to the team. If his passing and strenght get better I would be happy to keep him but if they don't I think he will have to leave.

Kromkamp. I don't feel the feller is good enough to worry Finnan and certainly isn't a right winger. Struggle to make the bench this year and therefore getting a weekly wage for sod all.

Dudek, brilliant in Instanbul but like Kromkamp may struggle to make the bench. So despite feeling sorry to see him go I think Jerzy has had his time with us.

Traore, Le Tallec and Diao are all players who will be gone soon anyway. The likes of Potter and Pongolle may be gone as well.

In:
Malbranque, been brilliant for Fulham and is an established player in England. Can play on the right or in the middle. Would certainly push Pennant for a place on the right and would keep the centre mids on their toes to.

Dean Ashton. Has scored goals at this level and is a type of forward we don't have. He is strong and bullies defenders. He supports Liverpool as well. He isn't going to get 20 goals a season but will chip in with a few.

Daniel Alves. Although the deal has been quiet of late I still think we could get him and he would certainly give Finnan a problem at right back.

I don't feel we need a left winger even if Kewell and Zenden were to go because Riise, Warnock and Aurellio can all play left wing as can Hammill and Anderson from the youth team.

Agree or disagree, please tell me but explain and say who you would like to see the back of and who you would like to see arriving at Anfield in the near future.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby anti-hero » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:17 am

What are you on about?

Billy, we are so close to the start of the season, and to be honest, I dont think anymore signings are going to come.

And how does this thread differ from other threads in the forum? ???

Anyways, yes, we'd all like for those things that you said to happen but ITS NOT.

Zenden will not leave. He's the only cover left for our centre midfield. Why would Rafa let him go?

And Kewell. If we let Kewell go, who's going to play left wing if Gonzalez gets put out?

Kromkamp. He's the only other right back we have. Why would we want him away??

And about your "transfer speculations"..

As far as I know, the Alves deal is dead. Believe all you want but Sevilla is a thieving bastard club and there is nothing you can say to change that. Plus, Rafa never wanted him for right back. He was to play right wing!

And in my opinion, its far too late to pursue any more targets.

All this transfer wheeling and dealing have been the focus of Rafa for too long. Its time for him to fully concentrate on the team without having to fly in and out of Anfield to talk to players and their clubs.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:37 am

Out.......Billy 5 times,hes :censored: in midfield ,defence and has nothing to offer upfront!!!

Can i get personal and ask what age you are Bily??
66-1120597113

Postby babu » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:49 am

hehe Traore is still here. harder to dislodge than an ingrown anal hair. :D

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:01 am

Its strange really - In the late 60's I used to dread Liverpool signing anyone because it meant one of my hero's might lose their place. I honestly believed the only two players who might get in our team were B.Charlton and G. Best and I didnt want them cos they were Mancs.
         Now I cant wait for us to sign players(last piece in the jigsaw etc) and get rid of the deadwood.
OUT :- all the obvious ones really, Diao, Traore, Pongolle, LeTallec, Kirkland,Dudec or Carson,and Potter
None of them will ever make an impact on the first team, bench fillers at best.
Daio - was never going to be good enough a poor buy.

Traore - I actually love the guy, always tries, seems to have all the attributes to be a great defender, but cant play football.

Pongolle - Probably as close to being a first team player as you can get without making it. Fast, very skillful, can score, maybe lack of effort when not on the ball has cost him?

LeTallec - Impatience and arrogance have cost him dear, another nearly man.

Kirkland - Plain bad luck and poor organisation at free kicks. Hopefully will have better luck elsewhere, he deserves a change of fortune.

Carson - Decent player but would never be a first choice.

Potter - Tries hard but will never be good enough to break through at Liverpool.

Ones to keep :-
Kewell - I cant bring myself to want him to go. I keep hoping he will turn things around and become the player I thought he was.(I had the same problem with Morientes)

Zenden - For the money we could get for him, he may as well stay and hopefully surprise me when he gets his chance.

Garcia - Irritatating player but theres no way we should sell him. Scores in big games and he must be a nightmare to mark. Definately worth keeping even if he plays most of his football coming off the bench.

Kromkamp - still seems very nervous,he was literally shaking when he came on in cup final. Unless we buy another r.back he will have to stay as cover for Finnan.Hopefully he will feel part of the squad after pre-season and start to show more.

IN :- a STRIKER ( any of the rumoured ones apart from Defoe) a hard working,hard running,good in the air 20+goals a season striker would be ideal. (If we cant find one then maybe Kuit :D )

A young D.Midfielder who would be happy with few chances while he develops.
account deleted by request

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:17 pm

anti-hero wrote:What are you on about?

Billy, we are so close to the start of the season, and to be honest, I dont think anymore signings are going to come.

And how does this thread differ from other threads in the forum? ???

Anyways, yes, we'd all like for those things that you said to happen but ITS NOT.

Zenden will not leave. He's the only cover left for our centre midfield. Why would Rafa let him go?

And Kewell. If we let Kewell go, who's going to play left wing if Gonzalez gets put out?

Kromkamp. He's the only other right back we have. Why would we want him away??

And about your "transfer speculations"..

As far as I know, the Alves deal is dead. Believe all you want but Sevilla is a thieving bastard club and there is nothing you can say to change that. Plus, Rafa never wanted him for right back. He was to play right wing!

And in my opinion, its far too late to pursue any more targets.

All this transfer wheeling and dealing have been the focus of Rafa for too long. Its time for him to fully concentrate on the team without having to fly in and out of Anfield to talk to players and their clubs.

Zenden isn't the only cover we have in the middle. We have Geerrard, Alonso and Sissoko. 3 men for 2 places. Also we have anyone from the youth team.

Kewell again isn't the only cover. As I said you can move any of our left backs up to left wing or put youth into the side again.

I would like to see our youth team players given the chance. I would like to see Darby, our captain in the youth team, as cover for Steve Finnan. The only way youth team players get better is playing with the 1st team. So give them a go and that can get rid of the deadwood.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby JC_81 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:30 pm

Suggesting the sale of Garcia is ridiculous.  After Fowler he's the best finisher we have.  Even if he's frustrating at times he's a very good player who performs in the biggest games - something not even all good players are capable of.  We'd never have won the Champions League without the little man and he still scored valuable goals last season - off the top of my head I can remember goals in 2 games against Arsenal and against Everton in tight games last year.  He might not start a huge amount of games this season, but unlike some players he's very effective coming off the bench, as long as we can keep him happy in terms of squad rotation we have to keep him.

For me, players out have to be Traore, Diao, Le Tallec, Mellor, Pongolle, Dudek or Carson.  Only if a really good offer came along would I be tempted to sell Kewell, Warnock or Kromkamp.

The only signing I can see us making now is another striker, but that won't happen until we get rid of some of the above imo as our wage bill must be horrendous at the moment.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreenred » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:00 pm

as i've said before the question is who would buy our deadwood, as for players coming in i think rafa has done all his dealings for now so lets just get behind the boys and bring that title back home.
thegreenred

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:17 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:Zenden isn't the only cover we have in the middle. We have Geerrard, Alonso and Sissoko. 3 men for 2 places. Also we have anyone from the youth team.

Yeah except when Rafa wents to play 3 in the middle or when he wants to play Stevie on the right or when 2 of them are hurt or suspended etc.  There are plenty of occasions where having a fourth central midfielder is vital.  Look at 2 seasons ago: Alonso out with a long-term ankle injury and Gerrard picking up various knocks and missing games.  Who'd we see in CM? Hamann and--wait for it--Igor Biscan.  And not just against the likes of Norwich either--Biscan was on the pitch (and setting Garcia up for a nice goal, I might add!) against Leverkusen in the CL.

Point is, you always need cover for CM.  It is a high energy-high contact position where injuries and suspensions are proportionally more likely to accumulate.

As for using the youth team as cover, while I think it's always important to blood young talent in the first team as they mature, throwing in a kid from the reserves into CM during a league game or, worse, a CL game is asking an awful lot.  Youth cannot make up for the experience that someone like Zenden has and CM is a position that requires a level head and great vision--experience is very important!  Look how poorly John Welsh played in the middle on the few occasions he played with the big boys last season.  I don't mind throwing the likes of Anderson or Hammil in on the wings in a game or two but I can't see using any of our youngsters in CM.

Bottom line, we need Zenden, whether you rate him or not.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby E.Jack You Late » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:26 pm

I am very happy with most of the squad and believe that it is almost “closed” for next season. But we do have a few of players hanging around that we would love to get rid of in order to cut the wage bill and maybe generate some transfer funds.

Djibril Cisse/ Chris Kirkland – I am a bit disappointed that we have had to loan these 2 out. Cisse’s situation was not really preventable, and hopefully Kirkland’s transfer will go through in January rather than us waiting until next summer.

Djimi Traore/Neil Mellor/Salif Diao/ Darren Potter – As far as I am concerned these players are surplus to requirements and not good enough, we would be better off using younger players in the case of emergency.

Anthony Le Tallec/Florent Sinama Pongolle – I really feel it is time for these 2 to move on, I imagine they are on decent wages of around 15 k considering how strongly sought after they were. Neither is really good enough to play in the first team here but need games to improve, it is in everyone’s best interests for them to move on, and they may generate some useful transfer funds.

Stephen Warnock? I’m nit totally sure about this one but I feel we can afford to let one left sided player go, if Riise and Aurelio are to compete for the left back spot with Kewell and Gonzalez competing for the left midfield spot, do we really need to pay Warnock wages? Plus we have Zenden who can be emergency cover for left midfield and Agger as emergency cover for left back

Carson – I really think he needs a season of first team football before he is ready to be back up to Reina, a season long loan is what we need to find him.

Apart from that I am happy with the squad.

In terms of players coming in, we defiantly need a striker in my opinion, and not just to make up the numbers, we need someone to come in and be out main man. Kuyt has been touted as that man, and he seems to fit the description, but only time would tell, it is impossible to guarantee that anyone would come in and fulfil that role but we do need someone.
E.Jack You Late

Postby redmikey » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:51 pm

you can play zenden at left back he can't tackle

warnock has been told he has a part to play by rafa which means rafa see that the lad is close to makin the step up in class but needs to believe and be free of injuries
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:Zenden isn't the only cover we have in the middle. We have Geerrard, Alonso and Sissoko. 3 men for 2 places. Also we have anyone from the youth team.

Yeah except when Rafa wents to play 3 in the middle or when he wants to play Stevie on the right or when 2 of them are hurt or suspended etc.  There are plenty of occasions where having a fourth central midfielder is vital.  Look at 2 seasons ago: Alonso out with a long-term ankle injury and Gerrard picking up various knocks and missing games.  Who'd we see in CM? Hamann and--wait for it--Igor Biscan.  And not just against the likes of Norwich either--Biscan was on the pitch (and setting Garcia up for a nice goal, I might add!) against Leverkusen in the CL.

Point is, you always need cover for CM.  It is a high energy-high contact position where injuries and suspensions are proportionally more likely to accumulate.

As for using the youth team as cover, while I think it's always important to blood young talent in the first team as they mature, throwing in a kid from the reserves into CM during a league game or, worse, a CL game is asking an awful lot.  Youth cannot make up for the experience that someone like Zenden has and CM is a position that requires a level head and great vision--experience is very important!  Look how poorly John Welsh played in the middle on the few occasions he played with the big boys last season.  I don't mind throwing the likes of Anderson or Hammil in on the wings in a game or two but I can't see using any of our youngsters in CM.

With all our cover we have in the middle we still managed to end up behind Utd, who for the majority of the season didn't have 1 reconised centre mid. They had Giggs a left winger and John O'shea a left back playing in the middle of the park.
Billy_5_Times

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:21 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

With all our cover we have in the middle we still managed to end up behind Utd, who for the majority of the season didn't have 1 reconised centre mid. They had Giggs a left winger and John O'shea a left back playing in the middle of the park.

That's because they had a few fellas that were able to put the ball in the back of the net enough times to paper over the fact that their midfield was absolutely cack.

Central midfield is a position where strength in depth is an absolute must.  End of.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Billy_5_Times » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:29 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

That's because they had a few fellas that were able to put the ball in the back of the net enough times to paper over the fact that their midfield was absolutely cack.

Central midfield is a position where strength in depth is an absolute must.  End of.

Strenght in depth eh? Before Ballack arrived if Lampard or Makelele got injured who did Chelsea have to bring in? Smertin? Geremi if he wasn't playing right back? I have already said about Utd's centre mid problems. What about Arsenal? Gilberto or Fabregas get injured they had Rigorbert Song's nephew and that Diaby feller. The only team in the top 5 with good cover in the middle of the park last year was Spurs. Davids, Carrick, Jenas, King if need be and wasn't injured, Pedro Mendes, Sean Davis and Michael Brown before all were sold. The big 4 clubs in England last year didn't have great cover in the middle so if we didn't need it last year we don't need it now and Bolo Zenden can leave.
Billy_5_Times

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:11 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Strenght in depth eh? Before Ballack arrived if Lampard or Makelele got injured who did Chelsea have to bring in? Smertin? Geremi if he wasn't playing right back? I have already said about Utd's centre mid problems. What about Arsenal? Gilberto or Fabregas get injured they had Rigorbert Song's nephew and that Diaby feller. The only team in the top 5 with good cover in the middle of the park last year was Spurs. Davids, Carrick, Jenas, King if need be and wasn't injured, Pedro Mendes, Sean Davis and Michael Brown before all were sold. The big 4 clubs in England last year didn't have great cover in the middle so if we didn't need it last year we don't need it now and Bolo Zenden can leave.

Michael Essien.  Ever heard of him?  He starts for them but can obviously fill in for Makelele.  They also have Lassana Diarra ready to take that role on if need be.  As for cover for Lampard last season, they had Guhdjonssen, who Mourinho liked to use in midfield.  Joe Cole can also play in the middle in the Lampard role as could Robben in a pinch.  Oh, and because Chelsea were so unconcerned about having strength in depth at the centre of the park, they brought in Maniche last January to provide cover, given that Scott Parker had been sold and Jiri Jarosik went out on loan to Birmingham.  Need I go on?

Arsenal were incredibly light in midfield last season--still are--and that's one of the reasons why they had to fight like dogs to stay in the top four.  They are still missing a proper replacement for Vieira and are that much weaker for it.

Oh and you forgot to mention Danny Murphy and Taino at Spurs.

I repeat, good teams have strength in depth at CM.  End of.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion