Transfers 2017/2018 In and out

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Ghost of Shankly wrote:I thought the Arsenal Lemar bid was 70m.
We could do with getting him on board as well as keita to soften the blow of Coutinho's departure.
Then we should be OK next term.

Lemar is definitely worth going in for with a massive bid. Plus I think he is 21/22 ish.

Even if he costs 80m, if we get 120m for Coutinho the deal finances itself. Plus 40m left over for A decent world class CB.

Obviously I am not parry to the details but from 99% of the reports I had read indicated Arsenal had a bid of 90 mil turned down. Now others have joined the hunt (reportedly) like Bayern, Chelsea and Barca  :eyebrow

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... t-11736955

He is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay and if 90mil is tabled then that's the opening bid. If the Club accept that and others are willing to match it then he can decide who he wants to sign for.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:34 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:25 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly wrote:I thought the Arsenal Lemar bid was 70m.
We could do with getting him on board as well as keita to soften the blow of Coutinho's departure.
Then we should be OK next term.

Lemar is definitely worth going in for with a massive bid. Plus I think he is 21/22 ish.

Even if he costs 80m, if we get 120m for Coutinho the deal finances itself. Plus 40m left over for A decent world class CB.

Obviously I am not parry to the details but from 99% of the reports I had read indicated Arsenal had a bid of 90 mil turned down. Now others have joined the hunt (reportedly) like Bayern, Chelsea and Barca  :eyebrow

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... t-11736955

He is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay and if 90mil is tabled then that's the opening bid. If the Club accept that and others are willing to match it then he can decide who he wants to sign for.

I doubt Arsenal have even got 90m to blow on one player. They've never spent that much in their life. It's probably tosh that report.
Other than Barca, I think we are hot favourites to get Lemar, as we are one of the hottest attacks around.
I can't see Barcelona spending 120m on Coutinho, then another 90m on Lemar. I think it will be one or the other.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 am

Anymore January signings Jurgen??
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:18 pm

YEOVIL SIGN REDS YOUNGSTER

Yeovil have completed the signing of Corey Whelan from Liverpool on a six-month loan deal, subject to clearance.

The Republic of Ireland U21 international arrives at Huish Park to bolster the Glovers' defensive options.

The player offers versatility at the back, with the 20-year-old goes straight into the squad for Saturday's Emirates FA Cup third round tie with Bradford City.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Including Keita deal we've only spent £14m(net).
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 am wrote:Anymore January signings Jurgen??

?????????????????
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:04 pm

redshade » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 pm wrote:Including Keita deal we've only spent £14m(net).

Including Coutinho sale?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:16 pm

It always feels like 2 steps forward, one step back with our transfers. Laud the club for getting Keita and VVD but then losing Coutinho makes you wonder whether we will ever be able to hold onto our best players.

I really find it hard to blame FSG for Coutinho's departure. You've got a player that wants to go and no longer wants to be at you. What can we do? With player power as it is today, 9 times out of 10 a player will move. For south american players, the draw of Barca and Real is just too strong. Likes of Barca have had Brazilian greats like Romario, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Neymar etc play for them and when Barca ask Coutinho to come and play for them and follow in their footsteps, it must be a massive draw.

Disappointing but unfortunately that is the pecking order today as it stands.
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:04 pm wrote:
redshade » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 pm wrote:Including Keita deal we've only spent £14m(net).

Including Coutinho sale?

Yup check OP.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:58 am

I don't blame the club for selling as it was obvious he really wanting to go and we cannot keep someone by force. Although I think wishing him a broken leg as some have suggested is way out of line I do hope he fails and Barcelona implode. I do not wish him well as he really shafted the club by insisting to leave now, we were the last priority even though we have supported that player and made him the player he was. I would not want Suarez either as he clearly was Barcelona's mouth piece convincing Coutinho to to want to leave, once again after we supported that player and his gutter antics.

Thankfully I never put Coutinho on my son's shirt, preferring to put his own name instead. I wish I could show my son how players used to be but those days sadly are dead. We will not see another Gerrard for a long time if ever.

Fans have become the least important part of football and since they make the whole show happen at some point football will be doomed. There is no honor in football anymore!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:02 am

Losing Coutinho is a blow but the impact depends on how we reinvest the fee.  I'm not optimistic Klopp buys this window given player availability mid season and klopp being very particular about who he wants.

The latter isn't a bad thing though, klopp has probably been our best manager in the transfer market in the premier league era. Karius the only real flop and he cost us less than 5 mil. Not bad. Even Klavan is a decent 4th choice CB, and again only cost 4 mil which is nothing these days.

I think VVD is the business so he and Lallana, who is like a new signing second half of the season, should compensate for coutinho short term. Coutinho missed a fair few games anyway, particularly early on, so when we get Firmino, Mane and Salah on the field we have enough firepower to win games.

If possible I'd still like to get Mahrez or Lemar this window but I'm not banking on it.

The big difference between losing Coutinho and losing the likes of Suarez, Torres, Sterling etc previously is that we are nowhere near as reliant on him as we were with those players. That's why I think we're still ok.

Klopp is many things, but a mug in the transfer market he is not. YNWA
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:51 am

Players come and go and I can't say that I'm gutted over thisas I was with Owen, Torres and Suarez transfers.
I like to see us get Mahrez but I rather no one then another over priced mid season panic buy. (Looking at you Andy Carroll)

As for the Couts its just logic of transfer timing that does my head in. Putting the club aside what does the player get out of this.
No Champion league footy and trying to break into successful team mid season in a World Cup year.

My only faint hope is history will repeat. Couts like Michael Owen in 2005 will be sitting in his villa watching the CL final and lamenting what could have been
Last edited by laza on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:34 am

laza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:51 am wrote:Players come and go and I can't say that I'm gutted over thisas I was with Owen, Torres and Suarez transfers.
I like to see us get Mahrez but I rather no one then another over priced mid season panic buy. (Looking at you Andy Carroll)

As for the Couts it just logic of transfer that does my head in. Putting the club aside what does the player get out of this.
No Champion league footy and trying to break into successful team mid season in a World Cup year.

My only faint hope is history will repeat. Couts like Michael Owen in 2005 will be sitting in his villa watching the CL final and lamenting what could have been

I'm sorry to see him go Laza, he gave me a lot of pleasure over the last four years, the wee Magician, he had that ability to unlock a game, to see a pass that other's couldn't or create a goal from nothing. What was fun, was we knew how good he was before the rest of the world, even before Brazil knew because we watched him week in, week out. But, I agree with you and JC, I don't feel as bad about it as some of our previous transfers, Owen, Torres, Sterling etc. What he gets out of it, in his eyes, is signing for the biggest club in the world. He's Brazilian, Spanish speaking, playing for Barca alongside Suarez, Messi, Iniesta is the ultimate, he's ambitious and wants to compete for a starting slot there, I can understand it tbh. From what I saw he was more professional about it than most when they're trying to engineer a transfer, maybe others have heard differently. If we forced him to stay it seems to me it was going to upset the dynamic of the whole team, something which I think Klopp would hate. And, we got good money, ridiculous money really, £142 million is staggering, he was our best player, he'll fit well in Barcelona but that really is good money for a player one tier off the very very best in my opinion. I'll remember him with fondness, can't be bothered hating or booing him and I wish him every success in Barcelona.

January 2013 we bought Sturridge and Coutinho, so some hope we could bring in a midfielder, Mahrez we be a great start.
Last edited by fivecups on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Are you all trying to get this topic "locked" as well as the Philippe Coutinho thread!???

Stopped harping on about it, he's a goner. As far as I'm concerned, he never existed. I don't think he ever won ANYTHING in a red shirt either, since 2013.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Franky000 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Sorry to harp on, but the c*nt jumped ship now because Barca are running away with the league title and he therefore has a better chance of winning something there - he took the easy option instead of doing the dutiful and loyal thing, which was to see out the rest of the season with us. Great timing...here’s hoping that the rest of the squad put in the extra effort to compensate for his absence. Tbh, I never got the sense that he was a liverpool man anyway...his body language always seemed off, and his brilliance on the pitch was never out of passion for the club, it was all just a rehearsal for Barca, with us being a mere stepping stone. I’m slightly bitter, but i’ll get over it.
Franky000

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion