End of 2017/2018 Campaign thoughts

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Sun May 27, 2018 7:09 pm

Well it has been an interesting season with many good points here and there.

Yeeeeaaaahhh course we all are disappointed with what happened last night but we have to look at the progress we've made.

Qualified again for the champions league via finishing 4th is a good achievement. We easily could have finished 2nd wasn't it for dropped points.

I would say it has been a season of progress and hopefully we will rectify our mistakes and do better next sesson.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun May 27, 2018 7:26 pm

Progress.

I know it doesn't feel like it right this minute, but we're moving forward. And slowly but surely Klopp's making us relevant on the European stage again. 

We've got the best attack in Europe and now we need the goalkeeper and midfield to back them up. We're not far away, our defense is much better with VVD, Robertson and TAA providing us the balance we so desperately lacked. Our midfield needs some steel and creativity and hopefully Keita and someone else (Fekir?) will provide that.

If it wasn't for a few injuries and our CL run, we'd have finished 2nd.  However, a CL final and 4th place is good enough for me. For now...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun May 27, 2018 7:52 pm

Remit was to get back in the CL and that has been achieved so overall season has been a success. In terms of progress, I'm vary of using one cup runs to gauge progress. Apart from City, I think we've had some pretty kind draws on route to the final - in the cold light of day, let's face it, teams like Sevilla, Spartak, Maribor, Porto, Roma are not Tier 1 teams. Could even argue City don't have pedigree in the CL however the way they have played this season, it was a massive achievement brushing them aside in the tie. We made the most of our draws but if we can repeat this CL run in the next few years, then I'd can say we are back amongst the elite in Europe and that's a real sign of progress.

We are desperately due silverware now as it's been 6 years without a cup. It's great having a great team/squad that are great to watch but they need to get that first cup under their belt and hopefully that will be the trigger for more. Under Klopp we've reached 3 finals and lost all of them and we really need start winning these otherwise it will be a case of being the nearly men...i.e we play some cracking stuff to get to the final but fall at the last hurdle..... cold, hard truth is, having great run's to the final and coming 2nd doesn't count for much in the end.

We need to strengthen the team/squad just to keep things on par. People talk about only needing a few more players to challenge for the league but the likes of utd, spurs fans etc are saying exactly the same thing about their sides so it is very, very competitive even if we add those players.

Our league record this year compared to last season is very similar:

2016/2017 - W 22 D 10 L 6 GF 78 GA 42
2017/2018 - W 21 D 12 L 5 GF 84 GA 38

This year we had to contend with the extra CL games but we need to look at how we can make that jump up above the pack of teams we are in. It is not going to be easy as even though we will strengthen the team/squad, have to remember so will the others.
Doeboy

Postby jacdaniel » Sun May 27, 2018 8:51 pm

I really hope that reaching the CL final hasn't made people think we are better than we actually currently are. We were pretty fortunate with the draw and avoided Barca, Athleti, juve, PSG, Bayern.

We seriously struggled over the last 2 months. Beaten by Roma, Real, Chelsea and drawing with all the bottom sides.

We didn't really make progress in the domestic cups or the league.

Based on our transfer activity last summer, I wasn't expecting much more than trying to consolidate top 4. In that respect, we achieved what I hoped for and the CL was a bonus.

But we need to spend and have a bigger squad if we want to compete domestically and in Europe. Otherwise we'll constantly be waving goodbye to our best players and settling for top 4.

My big fear is that come deadline day we will once again be feeling a bit underwhelmed and wondering if we have enough to make a real challenge.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun May 27, 2018 9:05 pm

It was a great season considering our squad of players..the emergence of Salah was majestic and we have witnessed some breath taking amazing moments..Proud of the lads.

Having said that from a team building perspective transfer market..it was pretty awful..Kloppo and his peers failed, again ,strengthening on time and in the weak spots..the coutinho farce was the icing on the cake.

Bottom line great season however a lot of if and maybe and what could have been if we just prepared better.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 27, 2018 9:11 pm

I thought we did a great job, we finished in the top 4 and got to a CL final despite selling arguably our best player half way through the season. Could you see Spurs getting to a CL final if they sold Kane in January or Chelsea if they sold Hazard?
We are a lot closer to being a top top side than we were this time last year, if we can keep hold of our best players and add the likes of Fekir and Keita we will have a very competitive team next season. I'm sure we'll bring in one or two others as well. Any XI managed by Jurgen Klopp and containing the likes of Salah, Keita, Fekir, VVD, Firmino, Mane etc is going to give anyone in Europe a game.
Looking forward to next season already.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Sun May 27, 2018 9:54 pm

Progress, as above.

We've shown that we can go toe to toe with anyone but once the games stack up we come unstuck.

This season has been a special one for me personally, I'll never forget the Champions League nights against City and Roma. They were my first experiences of Anfield on a European night and being able to be part of the CL campaign was incredible.

CL football 2 seasons on the trot. We're in a good place and hopefully this becomes the club players want to be at.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby parchpea » Sun May 27, 2018 10:17 pm

Great work considering the squad, fair enough we stand by our own but its way off top notch and Klopp is the one and only reason we did so well.

I get the feeling Klopp enjoys being the underdog and would choose to win the hard way, why he took the Liverpool job

More investment from FSG critical and if Klopp makes that difficult the owners must check him, allow upgrades and keep the squad fresh.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sun May 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Couldn't be more proud. Everything else pales in comparison.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun May 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Happy we qualified for next years CL and that we did manage to make it all the way to this years final. We also had some terrific matches thrown in there as well and at times played some breath taking stuff that was sublime to watch.

Disappointed though that it came down to the last game of the season and we threw away another piece of silverware through incompetence so in that aspect I don't think we have progressed as much as some like to make out.  Saying we could have done this and that finished here and there is irrelevant because we scraped 4th and blew another trophy.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon May 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Not overjoyed. We rode our luck this season, and excelled ourselves in the champions league with a very thin squad.

Just crawled over the line for fourth, but in the league we dropped so many points, drew loads of matches and squandered leads galore in games.

If Klopp does not add the required strength and depth for 2018/19 season, I expect a similar season... 4 the spot aim, and decent run in the CL again.

We will be playing for 4th place for the next 20 years at this rate.

More quality players required Jurgen. :nod
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion