The plot thickens

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:02 pm

From the Times, for those who haven't read it

DOOR OPENS FOR OWEN TO REJOIN LIVERPOOL
The Times 06 August 2005
LIVERPOOL overtook Manchester United as the more likely destination for Michael Owen when it was confirmed yesterday that Louis Saha had undergone knee surgery.
With the United board yet to work out how to squeeze Owen into their roster of strikers, and Arsenal and Chelsea uninterested, a return to Anfield for the Real Madrid player grows in probability, although that deal is not without its many complexities. Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, needs to sell at least one forward to make room for Owen and, despite interest in Milan Baros from Aston Villa, Schalke 04 and Everton (among others), the Czech Republic forward has yet to leave.

Benitez has emphasised that his priority is a new centre half, but with Owen likely to be available for as little as £12 million, most Kop regulars would regard it as foolhardy for the Spaniard to pass up the chance of buying the man who is at present England’s leading goalscorer.

None of Peter Crouch, Fernando Morientes and Djibril Cisse can be relied upon for 20 Premiership goals and, although the latter has scored regularly in France, he was bought by Gerard Houllier, not Benítez. While the Anfield manager did not beg Owen to stay last summer, knowing his head had been turned by Real, he is known to be an admirer.

Although willing to fight for his place at Real where, on top of Ronaldo and Raúl, he has fresh competition from Robinho and Julio Baptista, Owen would jump at the chance to return to the North West, where he still has a home. There have been suggestions of a loan deal but Real, who gave Liverpool a verbal 'first option' when they bought Owen for £8 million last summer, may insist on a permanent deal.

Owen, who is in Austria on a two-week training camp with Real, is also aware of interest from Lyons and Newcastle United and his advisers have not yet given up hope that Manchester United will submit a bid. Although a move to Old Trafford is hugely problematical after United confirmed that Saha will be out of action for the rest of the month, Sir Alex Ferguson is a long-term admirer of Owen, and the Glazers, particularly in their first summer as owners, have expressed an eagerness to back the manager on such a significant deal.

Saha, who cost £12.8 milion when he joined from Fulham 18 months ago, has made just 21 starts for United and his injury record would have made it difficult to sell him for half that sum even before this latest operation.

José Mourinho explained why Chelsea had not joined the bidding for Owen. "We play normally with one striker and two wingers," he said. "I have a big investment in Didier Drogba, a player I love and the same with Hernan Crespo.

"Carlton Cole is a personal bet that I want to win. And Eidur Gudjohnsen can be what I want, a striker or midfield player. The reason why Michael wants to leave Real Madrid is because he does not play as much as he would like. To come to Chelsea for a similar situation would be stupid."

Sell Baros to buy Owen, sounds simple doesn't it? Nobody yet is meeting our demands for Baros, perhaps we'll settle for Monaco's 5.5 million bid where Milan's wages won't be a problem.

What do you lot think?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 109-1093441336 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:18 pm

yeah, let Regal Madrid rob us financially again as they did with Mcmanaman, Owen and Morientes.  I'm glad Rafa is the one who manages our club.

As for the story the journos are just bored and havn't got anything legitimate to write regarding any transfers for Liverpool.
109-1093441336

Postby stromsgodset » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:20 pm

Just based on what i've seen so far i'd prefer to see nando go to pay for Owen. Cant see it happening though.
stromsgodset

Postby A.B. » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:53 pm

Just based on what i've seen so far i'd prefer to see nando go to pay for Owen. Cant see it happening though.

So based on pre-season games you want us to sell Morientes who hasn't played a full season in the Premiership ???
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby destro » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:28 pm

i would sell him based on pre season and every other game hes featured in, not the player he was and IMO i doubt he ever will be. with him and nunez madrid  sure had our pants down. get mike back now !! even more so now the gonzalez deal has fell through. im worried that if cisse gets injured we will really struggle. if we cant have him back now and he really wants to return , let him sit it out till the jan transfer window  (im sure he wont mind waiting  ?) , and we can go for him then , if hes cup tied in the champions league use him for the prem games
destro

Postby padderz001 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:58 pm

I want to know what you'll be saying at the end of the season...the best of morientes is yet to come dont you worry!
padderz001

Postby Cisse's Beard » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:04 pm

The best of Nando better be soon to come.
I know he's a quality player, but we need to see some rock solid evidence that he still has it.
Cisse's Beard

Postby destro » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:04 pm

ill just copy my above posting ....and i AM worried ?
destro

Postby padderz001 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:05 pm

I can agree with that, aslong is he can show us his best before january or he wont be around much longer
padderz001

Postby ry_math » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:06 pm

morientes has been farley poor in the red of liverpool, but with a pedagree that he has you hve to let him settle in. sell baros and get owen back!
ry_math

Postby padderz001 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:10 pm

I wouldn't argue with selling Baros!
padderz001

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:18 pm

Baros is a greedy tw@t!.. Villa offered £6.5 mill o' leary was in talks with him yesterday, but they could not agree with baros personal terms..he wanted £2 mill a year! which works out at £40 a week!...the greedy :censored:, he should be greatfull that villa want him? after all he runs around like a headless chicken!.  :oops:
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:20 pm

er that should be £40,000 a week! :oops:
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby padderz001 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:24 pm

too true....he only has eye on the goal during a game....yet he only found it 9 times in the league last year! infact has anyone see him pass when he gets near the goal!?!?
padderz001

Postby ry_math » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:25 pm

lol he works better as a lone striker, but when we have cisse,mori and maybe owen, we cant afford to play a lone striker can we??
ry_math

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion