The left side - A weakness?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:29 pm

This might sound like a ridiculous topic at first glance but hear me out...

Much of the talk is of how we are overloaded with left sided players at the moment and how we will be spoilt for choice there with everyone fit.  As the season progresses I agree that will probably be the case.

However I am also aware that our start in the premiership and the early CL qualifier means we will need to be out of the blocks early this season, unlike last year.  Benitez has seemingly strengthened all our areas that needed strengthening, with the exception of perhaps another forward.  But as I see it, with the players unavailable, the left side could actually be a problem for us in the early weeks of the season.

At the moment Warnock and Kewell are out fairly long term, Traore is about to leave, Aurelio has picked up a nasty enough calf injury that will really disrupt his pre-season and Garcia who has often filled in on the left has also picked up a knock.  Zenden no longer has the pace he once had and isn't a realistic consideration for left mid anymore imo.  This leaves us with Riise and Gonzalez as the likely starters at left back and left mid respectively when the season starts.  However Gonzalez looks shockingly short of fitness at the minute from what I've seen and I am not expecting him to adapt straight away to the premiership.

A few of these injuries will probably have cleared up before the season starts, but it would be ironic if we were actually stronger down the right side (with Gerrard or Pennant able to start there and either Finnan or Kromkamp behind them) than the left when the season starts, after all the moaning we've done about not having a right sided midfielder over the last year.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:02 pm

I can see where you're coming from John. Fortunately Riise at left back means the back four should be able to pick up somewhere near where they left off so this should negate any major alarms.

I share your concerns about Gonzalez adapting to the Premiership in the short term. I have only seen the fella play twice, once for Chile versus the republic of Ireland and once in the Kaiserslauten friendly and on both occasions he was decidedly average if I'm honest. That doesn't mean he won't come good, the clips of him for Sociedad last season were certainly impressive but I wouldn't be putting my house on him being man of the match when we play Sheffield United away in the first game of the season lets put it that way.

I remember Pennant starting off wide left aganst us in the Cup last year and although a couple of goals in the first five minutes saw the ploy being abandoned pretty sharpish, they must have thought he had the capability to play there.

I've been an avocate of Gerrard playing right-midfield right from the start, not just because it gives us better balance (though of course it does) but because I actually think that's his best position. Given that I'd leave the back four as it is/was for the start of the season and the three regulars from the midfield (Sissoko,Gerrard,Alonso) along with A.N. other at left mid'. Now I'm not going to do the Zenden thing again  ut suffice to say I agree with you about him left mid', so on balance I'd start in the potentially physical and highly charged opening league game with Pennant on the left and Crouch with Bellamy up top.

Hopefully we have learnt from last season that the start is crucial. It's not the time for backflicks, tricks and posing around. It's get your foot in time and scrapping out a win against a highly motivated and fired up team playing in the Premiership for the first time in years. There'll be plenty of time for Gonzales in the future.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:33 pm

Not such a ridiculous topic JC , even if all our left sided players were fully fit the question of quality would still remain , ie , our latest left sided accquisition Gonzalez is still unproven in the prem so without knocking the guy a ? remains . Riise ? solid and reliable and although I actually prefer him at LM to LB we all know he's only filling in. Zenden ? again decent enough at LM but no more than a stop gap until we can find someone else . Kewell ?  :laugh:  .the enigma continues  :laugh:  On his day , super , unfortunately "his day" is only a couple of times a season .

Here's a thought , Pennant wide right AND Gerrard discovering another one of his "best positions " at wide left . :D

As far as left mid is concerned I guess our hopes are pinned on Gonzalez lifting it above the mediocre, otherwise don't be suprised if my jesting comment about Gerrard becomes a fact .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:34 pm

I absolutely see where you're coming from, but to me the "problem" actually illustrates how important it is to have depth in the squad, particularly in comparison with the last couple of seasons.

To have players like Aurelio and Kewell out, and still have two options for left mid (I'm counting Zenden as well as Gonzalez, although I do acknowledge he's no kind of long-term candidate for the position) and a left back of the quality of Riise really does say something.

Let's also not forget that with Palletta looking like a very viable first team candidate for the centre of defence, this also gives Rafa the option of using Carragher at left back for the odd game.

Rewind to last season when injuries hit - if Kewell, Warnock and Garcia were injured for a game, Zenden was out long term, there were no centre-backs of note to allow Rafa to shuffle the back four, which essentially left Rafa with Traore and Riise for the left hand side and no-one else.

We've probably been held back in recent years by having to shuffle wildly to cover injuries - note Garcia playing left, right and up front, and the same with Gerrard. Strength in depth like we're getting means that any injury can be covered on a one-out, one-in basis, which is perfect for our new recruits as the disruption to the team will be minimal. It's far easier to get used to playing with a new set of players if those players are playing in the same positions every week. :)
ivor_the_injun

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:38 pm

I don't think there's much to worry about on the left.
Even if we are without a few of them at the start of the season, we'll just have to improvise. Zenden would do a more than adequate job there, as he did early last season.
Does anyone know how long Kewell is out for?
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool_In_My_Blood » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:21 am

I think the only weakness on the left is who to pick. So many options and all different.

Gonzalez with pace.
Riise with his shots.
Kewell with his trickery.
Zenden with his final delivery.

Great options for Rafa.
people say laughing is the best remody for illness and that is why Evertonians never get sick
Liverpool_In_My_Blood

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:49 am

I still think Gonzales will do the business for us.  He'll no doubt need some time to adapt but I don't see him being a liability down the left.  Sure, we might get more joy down the right until he settles but I think he'll pull his weight and keep the shape, get some crosses in, get back on defense, etc.  He'll have Riise behind him to steady the ship so no big concerns.

More troubling is the idea that Gonzales is maybe just starting to be the victim of the year-long hype surrounding him.  Let's not rush to judgment on the kid based on two pre-season performances!  There will be plenty to come from the lad, I think.  Hopefully, with a talented group of new recruits arriving, the focus will be off him a bit and he can settle naturally without the weight of unrealistic expectation on his shoulders.

BTW, what's the word on Aurelio's injury?  Is it long-term?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFCFan4Life » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:26 am

-Fabio's and Garcia's injuries are nothing long-term or serious, they are knocks and nothing more imo. We would had heard something if it was really serious.

-Kewell will miss the start to the season but no more than the first two or three games, he's already missed 2 weeks due to injury with 4 left according the info given to us on .tv

I see where you're comming from but I don't think it's a major problem for us.

Gerrard can easily cover the left flank due to his versatility if needed, I'm not that worried about it but it is an interesting point you've made.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:53 am

john craig wrote:This might sound like a ridiculous topic at first glance but hear me out...

Much of the talk is of how we are overloaded with left sided players at the moment and how we will be spoilt for choice there with everyone fit.  As the season progresses I agree that will probably be the case.

However I am also aware that our start in the premiership and the early CL qualifier means we will need to be out of the blocks early this season, unlike last year. Benitez has seemingly strengthened all our areas that needed strengthening, with the exception of perhaps another forward.  But as I see it, with the players unavailable, the left side could actually be a problem for us in the early weeks of the season.

At the moment Warnock and Kewell are out fairly long term, Traore is about to leave, Aurelio has picked up a nasty enough calf injury that will really disrupt his pre-season and Garcia who has often filled in on the left has also picked up a knock.  Zenden no longer has the pace he once had and isn't a realistic consideration for left mid anymore imo.  This leaves us with Riise and Gonzalez as the likely starters at left back and left mid respectively when the season starts.  However Gonzalez looks shockingly short of fitness at the minute from what I've seen and I am not expecting him to adapt straight away to the premiership.

A few of these injuries will probably have cleared up before the season starts, but it would be ironic if we were actually stronger down the right side (with Gerrard or Pennant able to start there and either Finnan or Kromkamp behind them) than the left when the season starts, after all the moaning we've done about not having a right sided midfielder over the last year.

I am not sure where you got that bit of information from like, but by this time last year we had already played two Champions League Qualifiers, as we came in at the 2nd qualifying stage. Last season started mid July for us mate.

Riise, Warnock and Aurelio will fight it out for left back, and Gonzalez, Kewell and Zenden will be aiming for the left wing berth, with Riise and Aurelio possible left midfielders also. If you consider that we have added and out and out left winger and a left back/wing back to the mould, as well as having a now fit again Zenden, I really do not see this as a problem area.

I think you are crazy in fact John Craig (on this topic only, no offence).
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ultras_haifa » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:05 am

:censored: liverpool[B]
ultras_haifa

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:08 am

ultras_haifa wrote:Image

fu.ck off you scum bag terrorist wan.ker.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:13 am

Fick Dich Jude.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:21 am

Half your people were collaborators , sold their own families . You are the New Nazi's .

Juden Raus !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:22 am

Anyway, back to the thread at hand.

Interesting topic John, I wouldn't go so far as calling it a weakness, but it's definitely not as strong as you would think with all the left-sided players on our books. With Gerrard/Pennant and Finnan on the right, it does appear that our right side is actually stronger at this point in time.  However injuries are beyond our control, and when Aurelio gets back to fitness, along with Kewell it should bring strong competition for places and only serve to improve the performance of all players concerned. 

Any word on how long Aurelio is out for btw?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:32 am

I say loud and clear NO.

To respond to injuries like the one of Kewell's we have a deep squad, and with Riise and Gonzalez I'm more than happy. I don't think in case it's needed Zenden won't be able to play on that position a couple of matches neither!

If we sign up somebody for that position now, we won't know what to do with him or some of our players later this season.

I haven't any doubts about Gonzalez's adaptation and success, and I say it loud and clear, and ready to bet money.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion