The alonso family

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:10 am

Some interesing facts I didnt know any of this and I dont think most where aware of it.
Wonder if his brother is any good :D
XABI ALONSO is living out his childhood fantasy by playing for Liverpool.

The Spanish star’s brother Mikel revealed how they dreamed of following in the footsteps of their famous dad and playing for one of Europe’s biggest clubs.

And Xabi also has an extra reason for loving his new Merseybeat . . . he’s a fan of the Beatles.

Dad Periko Alonso played in the 1982 World Cup and won two Spanish titles with Real Sociedad in ’81 and ’82 before appearing for Barcelona.

Some act to follow but Xabi, 23, and Mikel, 24, both made it into the top flight with Real Sociedad.

Then Xabi realised his dream of the big-time with his £10.5million summer move to Liverpool.

And Mikel, also a central midfielder, is now backing Xabi to win a fistful of medals at Anfield — and go on to become a Kop legend.

He said: “When we were boys our dream was to make it into the big-time. We would see ourselves playing for one of the best teams in Spain and Europe.

“We have played together for our entire lives. First, for our school team and all the way up to being in Real Sociedad’s first team.

“Our father was a great influence on both of us and he taught us many things and gave us guidance and encouragement so we could realise our dreams like he did during his playing career.

“The whole family is proud of Xabi and the great step he has taken with Liverpool, one of Europe’s most historic clubs

“Liverpool are a great club, an example for others and I want them to win titles like they used to a few years ago. I believe Xabi can help make that happen.”

There is no one better to pinpoint the skills that have Liverpool fans drooling.

Alonso plays his seventh game for the club tomorrow and is looking to inflict Chelsea’s first defeat of the season.

Mikel added: “Xabi is a magnificent player because he has great vision and sees the game easily and quickly.

“That is very important and he dictates the play superbly. And he strikes the ball scandalously well.

“I am not surprised he is playing so well because I never had any doubt he could be a star for Liverpool. Xabi can offer the great football the Anfield fans love.”

Mikel is keeping track of every moment of his brother’s electric start to his Reds career and will tune in for the battle at Stamford Bridge. The Alonso family will also focus on Mikel when Real Sociedad face Atletico Madrid tonight in one of La Liga’s top clashes.

Xabi was the first of the brothers to make his mark in Spain when given his chance by Liverpool legend John Toshack.

And he has had a huge impact at Anfield as part of Rafa Benitez’s Costa Del Kop revolution.

The manager swooped for the midfielder after Real Madrid spent most of last season chasing him.

And Mikel revealed his little brother was always mad on English football — as well as being a fan of Merseyside’s greatest export, the Beatles.

He added: “Xabi has always loved English football and followed it closely.

“We never spoke to Toshack about English football but we knew everything about John Barnes and Ian Rush, Kenny Dalglish and John Aldridge, who joined Real Sociedad from Liverpool.

“I think when we were little we went to London once or twice and one summer Xabi went to study English in Ireland.

“I think he still likes the Beatles, I know he had some of their albums at home that he listened to. Xabi was always very focused on doing his best for Real but, of course, everybody would love to play for a big club one day.”

Luis Garcia has also caused a sensation at Anfield with defender Josemi and winger Antonio Nunez completing the Spanish connection in the dressing room.

Mikel added: “It helps that there are other Spaniards and they can support each other.”

But it is tougher for the Alonso left at home. Mikel admitted: “Of course it’s hard he has left because we were always together.

“I would love to follow Xabi and play in England one day.

:)
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:21 am

..nice one Lynds... sounds like my kinda fella.. :)

It shows that ambition is not just about playing for the good teams always.. but appreciating the history and traditions.. and being a willing contributer to the task of making the club grt again... in awe of those traditions and history Rafael Benitez's arrival is also a crucial peice in the jigsaw.. in attracting Alonso,  the others and hopefully many more.. :)

That's a nice sart to the mornin... thanks Lynds... :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:33 am

:) Mornin mate how are you today?
Yes its very interesting I didnt know his dad or brother played I suppose in spain the whole family are stars. :;):
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:38 am

Mornin Lynds ..u ok... yeh it's interesting that.. In England the sons of "legends" havn't always quite shone as bright as there dads ay... :)

I might go the game tommorrow... been offered a ticket .. :)

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:12 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Some interesing facts I didnt know any of this and I dont think most where aware of it.
Wonder if his brother is any good :D
XABI ALONSO is living out his childhood fantasy by playing for Liverpool.

The Spanish star’s brother Mikel revealed how they dreamed of following in the footsteps of their famous dad and playing for one of Europe’s biggest clubs.

And Xabi also has an extra reason for loving his new Merseybeat . . . he’s a fan of the Beatles.

Dad Periko Alonso played in the 1982 World Cup and won two Spanish titles with Real Sociedad in ’81 and ’82 before appearing for Barcelona.

Some act to follow but Xabi, 23, and Mikel, 24, both made it into the top flight with Real Sociedad.

Then Xabi realised his dream of the big-time with his £10.5million summer move to Liverpool.

And Mikel, also a central midfielder, is now backing Xabi to win a fistful of medals at Anfield — and go on to become a Kop legend.

He said: “When we were boys our dream was to make it into the big-time. We would see ourselves playing for one of the best teams in Spain and Europe.

“We have played together for our entire lives. First, for our school team and all the way up to being in Real Sociedad’s first team.

“Our father was a great influence on both of us and he taught us many things and gave us guidance and encouragement so we could realise our dreams like he did during his playing career.

“The whole family is proud of Xabi and the great step he has taken with Liverpool, one of Europe’s most historic clubs

“Liverpool are a great club, an example for others and I want them to win titles like they used to a few years ago. I believe Xabi can help make that happen.”

There is no one better to pinpoint the skills that have Liverpool fans drooling.

Alonso plays his seventh game for the club tomorrow and is looking to inflict Chelsea’s first defeat of the season.

Mikel added: “Xabi is a magnificent player because he has great vision and sees the game easily and quickly.

“That is very important and he dictates the play superbly. And he strikes the ball scandalously well.

“I am not surprised he is playing so well because I never had any doubt he could be a star for Liverpool. Xabi can offer the great football the Anfield fans love.”

Mikel is keeping track of every moment of his brother’s electric start to his Reds career and will tune in for the battle at Stamford Bridge. The Alonso family will also focus on Mikel when Real Sociedad face Atletico Madrid tonight in one of La Liga’s top clashes.

Xabi was the first of the brothers to make his mark in Spain when given his chance by Liverpool legend John Toshack.

And he has had a huge impact at Anfield as part of Rafa Benitez’s Costa Del Kop revolution.

The manager swooped for the midfielder after Real Madrid spent most of last season chasing him.

And Mikel revealed his little brother was always mad on English football — as well as being a fan of Merseyside’s greatest export, the Beatles.

He added: “Xabi has always loved English football and followed it closely.

“We never spoke to Toshack about English football but we knew everything about John Barnes and Ian Rush, Kenny Dalglish and John Aldridge, who joined Real Sociedad from Liverpool.

“I think when we were little we went to London once or twice and one summer Xabi went to study English in Ireland.

“I think he still likes the Beatles, I know he had some of their albums at home that he listened to. Xabi was always very focused on doing his best for Real but, of course, everybody would love to play for a big club one day.”

Luis Garcia has also caused a sensation at Anfield with defender Josemi and winger Antonio Nunez completing the Spanish connection in the dressing room.

Mikel added: “It helps that there are other Spaniards and they can support each other.”

But it is tougher for the Alonso left at home. Mikel admitted: “Of course it’s hard he has left because we were always together.

“I would love to follow Xabi and play in England one day.

:)

this is lyndsay, reporting for the liverpool echo, liverpool  :D
106-1093504160

Postby Ciggy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:30 am

:laugh: You dont think im gona type all that alan do ya :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:32 am

Lyndsay, i hope you dont write your memoirs, as it would take me the best part of a decade to read the opening chapter :D :D
106-1093504160

Postby zarababe » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:32 am

:laugh: he probably thinks you did Lynds :D :laugh:
Last edited by zarababe on Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:33 am

hey, zbabe, you cheeky one :D
106-1093504160

Postby Ciggy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:34 am

:D Do you think I would appear on oprah, before kindaofbiffa to promote my book :D
BIFFA :laugh: THAT NAME MAKES ME LAUGH ME F#KIN HEAD OFF

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:34 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote: :laugh: You dont think im gona type all that alan do ya :D

youve not done too bad already  :D
106-1093504160

Postby zarababe » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:35 am

:laugh: mmm.. that's me Judge.. :p

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:40 am

well............i'm not surprised :) :laugh: :D