Still a threat without stevie

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:37 am

Some people on here should take a leaf out of his book instead of being doom and gloom merchants :glare:
Gerrard off! That's nice, but . . .

CHRIS LAKEY

Norwich City manager Nigel Worthington has laughed off suggestions that the absence of Liverpool's captain fantastic Steve Gerrard could make his job a little easier at Anfield tomorrow afternoon.

The England midfielder, who has been in awesome form so far this season, was ruled out of action for at least two months when he broke a bone in his foot during his side's 2-1 defeat at Manchester United on Monday evening.

Wales boss Mark Hughes felt the absence of Gerrard would give his country a better chance of beating England in their forthcoming World Cup qualifier at Old Trafford – but Worthington isn't sure it will even things up at the weekend.

"You never like to see players getting injured but when I saw Steven Gerrard go off on Monday I thought 'well that's nice for us,'" he said. "Then I saw Dietmar Hamann come on and I thought, oh no! That's how good they are.

"Gerrard is a wonderful player and a big influence there but when one international is ruled out another ones comes in – that's how it is at clubs like Liverpool. I don't think it weakens them too much.

"There have been a few changes there during the summer, but you know that whatever players Liverpool bring in they are going to be quality. They've got a new manager in who is looking to change things around to his way of thinking and they've had a good steady start to the new season."

Worthington is hoping his players rise to the occasion at the weekend, just as they have done so far this season when visiting some of English football's great footballing arenas.

"Anfield is another wonderful place to play your football," he said. "The fans are very passionate about their team, they create a tremendous atmosphere and it's a magnificent stadium.

"It's an excellent platform for every player who goes there, every club that goes there. We'll go there to perform, enjoy it and hopefully come away with a good result.

"We've performed well so far at three other big grounds – Old Trafford, St James' Park and White Hart Lane - and we'll be looking to keep that going at Anfield. We know what we've got to do."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:01 pm

He will be missed, but it is a good opportunity to build our mid-field options.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:15 pm

arsenal have been without vieira for most of this season and that doesn't seem to have affected them. most teams in the premiership would die (and i mean die) to have two players of the quality of hamann and alonso in their central midfield. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:29 pm

Agreed as long as Xabi and Didi stay fit then Stevie's absence should be covered adequately
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:38 pm

I like the words that Worthington has said! We are Liverpool FC and not based around Gerrard!
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:42 pm

It will probably do the others good to take a bit more responsibility. Sometimes in crisis new heroes emerge. Step up to the plate Xabi, your time has come. We all know what a fantastic player Stevie is, we can guess and hope for Alonso. We've seen the potential, nows the time for the main show.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby miniman » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:21 pm

We still have some awsome players, they just havn't bonded as a team. It just seems to me that the final spark to make them the best has not yet come. (YET!!)
"Football is not a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that"
miniman

Postby Redrider » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:03 pm

All good sensible posts !!  (Can I have a job as a moderator ? )
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:40 pm

Well I heard that Alonso is Gerrard's twin as far skill is concerned. As long as Finnan,Pongolle,Dio,Traore don't play then I'm fine with our squad.

Warnock deserves a start, great talented young lad.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby who the hell is diarra » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:29 pm

Not the loss it would have been 6 months ago . Alonso n Didi can cope well in his absence. :)
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:35 am

Diao/Biscan should get in Gerrard place. Hamann is ageing and slow. maybe Gerrard's absence could bring backlash for us and we should learn how to survive without Gerrard.
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby soworse » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:17 am

A.B. wrote:Well I heard that Alonso is Gerrard's twin as far skill is concerned. As long as Finnan,Pongolle,Dio,Traore don't play then I'm fine with our squad.

Warnock deserves a start, great talented young lad.

hmm.. you're probably rite about the rest but i say give finnan his place on the team, for now.

credit where credit is due. i cannot believe that I would ever EVER say this but, personally.. he looks more dangerous than our dear kewell at the moment.

he is definitely not world class but he's looks like the safest bet (short of pulling garcia back) we've got at the moment for that right hand slot.
"I have said all along that we need time to improve as a team and it will probably be three or four months before we are playing at the level I want."- Benitez 29/08/04.
soworse

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion