Stevie g - Terrible rumours circulating the media

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maximus » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:39 am

I have been listening and reading all the media and press speculation regarding our captains sudden change of heart re: his proposed move to Chelski.

Quite frankly I am not totally convinced.

Stevie's Body language at the press conference was terrible, he also stated that he had 4 meetings with Rick Parry, (why did he need 4 meetings to discuss his future as Liverpool captain?)

He also said that he actually wanted to move away from LFC(why the sudden change of heart? apparently made on Sunday night, what made him change his mind?)   

Then we see these stories circulating the press and media

This is London

Now don't get me wrong as an LFC fan, I am absolutely chuffed to bits that Stevie will be running out in the red of LFC next season, and not the blue of Chelsea.

How long will this last, If LFC are again not 'successful' or do not come up to his vision of where he sees LFC going e.t.c.  then will we have this 'drama' again in the JAN window, and the end of season window?

I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this?
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Steph Gleave » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:46 am

I also seen the press conference yesterday and it looked too me too that he wasn't happy at all i'm over the moon that he's satying but don't get me wrong here he didn't look like the Stevie G we all know and love he looked very down his head was almost down throughout the whole conference but at least he's staying and i quote here for how long is the big question we need too buck up and fast if we are too keep hold of him again and yes it was a bit worrying that we needed 4 meeting's too convince him too stay too say the least.
Steph Gleave

Postby taff » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:01 am

Chelsea are gutted mate so dont be surprised with these rumours
The thing to worry about is what happens if we have another mediocre season that probably explains his mood
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:06 am

Taff, should a player really be able to dictate what happens within the club?
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:28 am

Not at all in my view, my gut feeling is he grew up with this club and wants it to succeed but he also wants to compete and win trophies and I reckon its Benny coming thats got him to stay, he hasnt said anything about one more year and see what happens its speculation but if the horror becomes reality and Liverpool dont compete then he wont be the only player who starts to look at the more successful clubs.

Winning the league is a big shout but we have to expect from a club this size that they will at least be competing until the end.  If so then its game on for the next few years

Say we come second with champions league quarters or semis I cant see SG looking to move
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:38 am

Lets say we come FIRST instead. Forget the settling for second place.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:41 am

Lee J Im not settling for second its hypothetical.
Ok I agree first it is I like your attitude
:D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:41 am

maximus wrote:Stevie's Body language at the press conference was terrible, he also stated that he had 4 meetings with Rick Parry, (why did he need 4 meetings to discuss his future as Liverpool captain?)

i don't care if he had 104 meetings with rick parry. the only thing that matters is he's staying. don't believe all these rumours about why he had a sudden change of heart. from now on he should do all of his talking on the pitch.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:42 am

taff wrote:Say we come second with champions league quarters or semis I cant see SG looking to move

That is going to take a massive turn around. Our performance last season was miles away from that.

Until the press conference yesterday and the subsequent news reports I didn't appreciate how close to leaving Stevie actually came.

He actually submitted a written transfer request even after he spoke with Rafa. He had told the other England team members that he was leaving. It was a done deal. For him to stay was essentially a huge change of heart.

Yesterday he looked emotionally shattered. He was quiet and withdrawn. Now he needs to stand by his decision and commit 100% to reproduce his form of last season.

We need to sign at least one quality midfielder and one defender in the rest of closed season to acheive the progression that Stevie and everyone else so badly needs.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:48 am

people keep saying that steven lloked tired and unhappy at the press conference yesterday. to me he comes across as very morbid at most of his press conferences anyway. this speculation must have drained him emotionally and as a result his england performances were affected.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:57 am

Stevie has appeared shy and quiet at previous press conferences but yesterday I thought he looked wrecked.

His performances in the group stages of Euro 2004 (Euro 2000 - as Stevie calls it!) were reasonable especially against Croatia but he was poor and deserved to be substituted against Portugal. I thought this was just physical tiredness from a long season but now agree that it was related to indecision regarding his proposed move away from Anfield.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:01 pm

what he really needs now is a hoilday. a few weeks away to relax and recover both mentally and physically. the guy has been extremely confused over the last couple of weeks and his performances on the pich have therefore been affected. you could tell yesterday that he was extremely angry at certain members of the press who had said it was a "done deal" weeks ago. notice how he didn't make eye contact with anyone.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:06 pm

Definitely. Get away with the family, away from the press, training, managers, agents and fans and come back relaxed and with a clear head. He's made his decision and can now put closure to it.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Steph Gleave » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:14 pm

Not a truer word said a holiday would do him the world of good and a fully fit and a emotionally recharged Stevie G would not just benifit Liverpool but it will also benifit the lad himslef who let's face it has work his b###ck's for the past two years without a rest.
Steph Gleave

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:59 pm

Listen, the Mail where the paper that ran the strongest Gerrard to Chelsea is a done deal headlines.

Now they have egg on their faces.

This is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to save face.

Tory B*stards anyway.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion