Rome 84 - Broadcast

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:07 pm

Gonna listen to this later when I get home, somehow, I don't think the lads in the office will be too impressed with me if I listen to it now.

BBC Audio Documentary
jonnymac1979

Postby Sean » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:58 pm

I watched a recording of that game a few months ago and a couple of things stood out.....

1.  I was surprised at how deep Kenny Dalglish played.  He did alot of covering inside our half, and turned up in the left back position a few times.  In fact Rush more or less played up front on his own.  However, once we got possession our players (Souness, Dalglish and Whelan especially) were very quick to join him in attacking positions.

2.  We defended as a team and attacked as a team.

3.  Liverpool played in a manner that reflected their experiece in europe.  They prioritised keeping possession (maybe Garcia should be shown the game), but once Roma gained possession our boys were very disciplined and every player went into defenceive mode.

4.  In the past I have been critical of Mark Lawrenson as a pundit but he was class in the '84 final.

5.  Ultimately, the game reminded me that football is a team game and no matter what "superstars" are brought to anfield, we have to get our tactics, attitude and team work right if we are to challenge again.

6.  The Liverpool lineout was Grobbelaar, Neal, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Johnston, Lee, Souness, Whelan, Dalglish, Rush Subs: Nicol and Robinson.  Of that 13 I reckon Lawrenson, Hansen, Souness, Dalglish and Rush were star players.  The other 8 were not stars but they were fantastic professionals who took their game seriously.  In todays line up we have 3 stars (Gerrard, Alonzo and Morientes).  We need two more stars and a squad of good professionals (like Carra) to bring us to the next level.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:35 pm

100% agree with your comments Sean
:)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:41 pm

Cheers taff
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Your welcome  :)

I do agree with your post and think that Rafa is slowly installing this ethos

Still some excitement left this season but I cant wait till next season to see who he gets and how we will play. I honestly think its gonna be a huge improvement
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:25 pm

4th place and a CL semi's would be a 'good' season considering our injuries.  but CL football next season is a MUST.  really need to be there again next season.  :glare:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion