Rafa - Work assignment for a mate, please read

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Ok so a mate asked me to read a piece he wrote for a uni assignment. I said what better than just me reading it but to get a few people to read it.

Feel free to agree/disagree as much as you want. The more feedback the better, but please make sure the feedback is related to the piece itself and don't let it turn into a cat fight.

Thanks

Should Rafa Benitez Keep His Job?

Up until recently I've always been in support of Rafa.

In the last 5 years he offered Liverpool fans the Champions League, the FA Cup and another Champions League Final (alongside other minor trophies such as the Community Shield and UEFA Super Cup) as well as progressively improving our league position from 5th to 2nd. This year however, hasn't followed the same blueprint. Following a summer with a zero net spend (around £39 million spent on Johnson/Aquilani/Kyrgiakos against roughly £38 million received for Alonso/Arbeloa/Leto), many have blamed the lack of financial backing for the current situation Liverpool find themselves in. This can be furthered when fans wonder where the money from Robbie Keane's January transfer back to Tottenham went?

Now rival fans will be quick to point out; regardless of this, Rafa Benitez has outspent virtually every other manager in Europe in the last five years (except the fantasy spending of Mark Hughes at Man City). This point is extremely valid, but Liverpool fans are quite rightfuly wondering why the manager who has progressively improved the club has seen a complete lack of backing in the transfer market. Sure, fans may be of the opinion that Rafa should undoubtedly have acheived more with all of the money that has been spent, but is cutting off all financial backing really the answer? I think it's fair to say that heading into the summer following finishing 2nd, the vast vast majority of Liverpool fans fully supported Rafa, so although his attitude and transfer policy can come under question, Liverpool fans think that as a coach he is the man for the job. Does this suggest that the problem lies more with the vilified American owners, who have also stalled financial backing for the new stadium they promised to have built by 2014? This seems to be the general point of view for the many Liverpool fans who still support Rafa.

However, many are of the opinion that Benitez is very much accountable for this seasons poor start. In the five years Benitez has been in charge, he has spent £210.45 million and sold £139.73 million, resulting in a net spend of £14 million per season. (Stats taken from: http://www.liverweb.org.uk/benitez.asp)

This may not seem particularly shocking, however this is easily above Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea and averages out at spending £42 million per season. This is astronomical by anyones standards, and make no bones about it, the current squad has been COMPLETELY shaped by Rafa. This provokes the question; regardless of the lack of financial backing in summer '09, surely Rafa has had the resources to put together a much better squad than he has to show for? No one can doubt that last seasons performance proves that Liverpool's first team is good enough to put forward a strong challenge for the title, but teams who are thought to be below Liverpool seem to have better second options all over the pitch. The likes of Tottenham boast Defoe/Crouch/Keane/Pavlyuchenko as striking options, whereas should Torres or Gerrard get injured, all Liverpool have to rely on is Babel/N'Gog/Voronin. Is this the signs of £42 million being spent each season? Most argue not.

Also, an interesting set of stats came to light last week as can be seen below (source: http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2009....k.html) :

Rafa : 14 years management, 630 games, 322 wins, 51% win ratio
Houllier : 14 years management, 629 games, 322 wins, 51% win ratio

These stats can be interpreted how you like, however, does this not suggest that Liverpool have invested huge sums of money in a manager that has a record INCREDIBLY similar to the manager that we sacked for not living up to Liverpool's massive expectations? This is open to debate.

My final point throws a spanner into the works. As outlined by Terry Venables last week, Benitez was handed a 5 year contract in March. (Source: http://www.sport.co.uk/news....ct.aspx ). With the owners under clear financial pressure, this means that it would not only cost Liverpool a fortune to sack Rafa, but it would undoubtedly be a huge economic gamble. This is just another part of a very complex situation.

So what would be the best course of action? As a Liverpool fan, i have always been of the view that Benitez is a great tactician but his media handling and transfers leave a lot to be desired. Having said this, like a lot of Liverpool fans, I have a soft spot for Benitez as a result of winning 2 prestigous cups and progressing our league position. In the last months I have often thought if we were to sack him, is there a better coach who could come in mid season and do a better job with the current squad? In my opinion not. However, with results continuing to disappoint and coming up to the January transfer window, I am starting to wonder if it might be the right time for Rafa to go. Benitez will forever have his well deserved place in Liverpool folklore, and will quite rightly be remembered as a legend for winning the CL in his first season, but are we really in the position to waste the best years of Gerrard's and Torres's careers by drawing 0-0 at Ewood Park? Personally I think not. I'd like nothing more than to win countless trophies with Rafa over a number of decades, however this seems a distant dream at the moment.

On a final note, one massively important issue that worries me is that if Rafa was to be sacked, then his replacement would be chosen by the two stumpy Americans. Surely keeping Rafa is a better prospect than this?

Let me know what you think by commenting (put in brackets next to your name what team you support).

http://mgossage.livejournal.com/
Last edited by tubby on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:16 pm

And mods please dont merge this either, this isn't a Rafa thread per say. I am trying to do a mate a favour by giving the piece some exposure.

Thanks

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:17 pm

Hey Santa, another one of those books mate if you don't mind :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Mick your input would be ideal he would love it. The link to the journal is posted below can you reply if poss?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:23 pm

Sorry bav this thread is only going to go one way - the same as the other Rafa threads .
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:36 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Sorry bav this thread is only going to go one way - the same as the other Rafa threads .

I fear he's right Bav. What you'll get is a bunch of people offering reasons why they think the manager is fast approaching if not already passed his sell by date, and another bunch of posters crying that anybody is discussing it in the first place and asking "do we need another thread on it FFS".

The second bunch will normally wait a few pages and then start talking about "history" and using phrases such as "walk on" at the end of their posts. It won't be long before someone says "I don't fecking believe this place" and another will say "that's why nobody bothers posting on here any more" (as they post their 5,487th post this year). Somebody will normally throw in "believe believe believe" (don't ask me I don't know) and there will be a few of these chucked in for good measure :buttrock.

Then the discussion will move onto the inevitable "but who is there out there" section. This is the bit where people suggest various names of managers who have got excellent records in various countries, and the other side say either a) he's  absolutely sh!t, b) The more recent "but he's unproven" (they mean for us, this covers everybody in the World except Gerrard Houllier obviously), or c) "he's a w@nker and we don't want him anyway". One of the "I don't fecking believe this place" people will ask how we would feel if we got Steve Mclaren, or "big Sam Yeah" or Glen Roeder. If anyone suggest anyone else who is actually credible, that will be met with "but he wouldn't come here what with our owners. Innit".

Then a couple of people who think changing the manager might be an idea will be called a c... and recieve a card for their trouble, the thread will get locked and it'll all move on.

He's right Bav, threads like this only go one way mate, best ask to get it locked now.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Why must it always be the people who defend Rafa be wrong in your eyes mick - why is it always them that are the bad ones ?
Benny The Noon

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:43 pm

bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Sorry bav this thread is only going to go one way - the same as the other Rafa threads .

I fear he's right Bav. What you'll get is a bunch of people offering reasons why they think the manager is fast approaching if not already passed his sell by date, and another bunch of posters crying that anybody is discussing it in the first place and asking "do we need another thread on it FFS".

The second bunch will normally wait a few pages and then start talking about "history" and using phrases such as "walk on" at the end of their posts. It won't be long before someone says "I don't fecking believe this place" and another will say "that's why nobody bothers posting on here any more" (as they post their 5,487th post this year). Somebody will normally throw in "believe believe believe" (don't ask me I don't know) and there will be a few of these chucked in for good measure :buttrock.

Then the discussion will move onto the inevitable "but who is there out there" section. This is the bit where people suggest various names of managers who have got excellent records in various countries, and the other side say either a) he's  absolutely sh!t, b) The more recent "but he's unproven" (they mean for us, this covers everybody in the World except Gerrard Houllier obviously), or c) "he's a w@nker and we don't want him anyway". One of the "I don't fecking believe this place" people will ask how we would feel if we got Steve Mclaren, or "big Sam Yeah" or Glen Roeder. If anyone suggest anyone else who is actually credible, that will be met with "but he wouldn't come here what with our owners. Innit".

Then a couple of people who think changing the manager might be an idea will be called a c... and recieve a card for their trouble, the thread will get locked and it'll all move on.

He's right Bav, threads like this only go one way mate, best ask to get it locked now.

I'm not asking for replies here, post it on his journal. No mods are going to close that are they.

Please read people. This is your chance Mick, slate him as much as you want you won't be hassled I promise.  :D

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:30 pm

What is the assignment brief?
LFC2007

Postby fivecups » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:05 pm

What sort of Uni assignment is this Bav?

To me it just seems like it's a fairly superficial, average post you see on a football forum. A few stats and numbers thrown in with no real effort to delve a bit deeper than a standard poster and supporter.
Last edited by fivecups on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:08 pm

LFC2007 wrote:What is the assignment brief?

Being a teacher i was about to ask the same thing! Can't comment on it unless you know what he's been asked to do. It's a strange piece top be asked to do for uni + they aren't usually too keen on your average internet site unless it's a reputable one like BBC Sport.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Scottbot wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:What is the assignment brief?

Being a teacher i was about to ask the same thing! Can't comment on it unless you know what he's been asked to do. It's a strange piece top be asked to do for uni + they aren't usually too keen on your average internet site unless it's a reputable one like BBC Sport.

I'd give him lines.

I'd give him the real annoying ones where you have to write each word of the line in a different colour.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:18 pm

Not sure exactly he said it was some sort of critical writing piece. He is a decent lad and he might actually be signing up here to post at some point so if he does he can answer you himself. :D

For now just treat it like it's yet another Rafa thread. :D

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:20 pm

bavlondon wrote:Not sure exactly he said it was some sort of critical writing piece. He is a decent lad and he might actually be signing up here to post at some point so if he does he can answer you himself. :D

It would be good to have him on board Bav. In fairness, I think his feelings are similar to a lot of Liverpool supporters at the minute, mine anyway - somewhat confused.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:35 pm

fivecups wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Not sure exactly he said it was some sort of critical writing piece. He is a decent lad and he might actually be signing up here to post at some point so if he does he can answer you himself. :D

It would be good to have him on board Bav. In fairness, I think his feelings are similar to a lot of Liverpool supporters at the minute, mine anyway - somewhat confused.

:laugh: Thats what you can call me at the mo confused,nan.co.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion