Rafa and the special relationship with fans

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:47 pm

Great article, worth a read.

Rafael Benitez has spoken about his special relationship with the Liverpool fans and says he would like to reward them for the support they have given him and the team with a trip to Istanbul for the Champions League Final.
The Liverpool manager says he is also inspired by the Kop anthem 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and he often joins in with the crowd and sings it before a match at Anfield.

Benitez said: "I've only been in Liverpool for a short time but already I have a special feeling for the people.

"'You'll Never Walk Alone' gets to me and it makes me emotional when I walk out and see all the supporters on the Kop with their scarves and banners in the air and everybody singing. It stirs something.

"I have learnt the words because it's important that I understand the message it's sending."

Benitez also speaks of the incredible lengths fans will go to speak to him in Liverpool, even when he is driving home from Melwood.

Benitez said: "I was driving along with my wife Montse when two boys with Liverpool scarves recognised me and started running towards the car. I pulled up and they were dancing about singing 'Ra-Fa Benitez, Ra-Fa Benitez!' They were waving their scarves and it was incredible. I gave them my autograph and as I was driving away they were still in the middle of the street shouting 'Ra-Fa' with all the cars driving past them!

"I remember another time. It was seven o'clock in the evening and I was the last one here at Melwood. As I left there was a guy waiting for me in the cold. He was shivering. He wanted my autograph and said 'thank you'. The gate man told me later that the guy had been waiting for me since 9am!

"Liverpool fans are very special. The atmosphere from the Kop is fantastic. If you run and work hard, whatever happens at the end of the game they say OK. Igor Biscan is maybe the best example of that and they appreciate his effort.

"For a player that must be fantastic. When you have such supporters cheering you on players can reach another level for sure. If we continue to play with passion we can reward those fans."

The Reds boss says the adulation he has received from the Liverpool fans isvery different to what he had when he first took charge of Valencia.

Benitez said: "They thought badly of me when I first came from Tenerife in the Second Division because they were Valencia. I remember we went 13 games without losing, the best run in Valencia's history, but they still complained.

"We lost the 14th game and they said 'Terrible, sack the manager'. At the end of the season we won the league and they said, 'Wow, fantastic, you're the best manager'.

"It took a while for me to be accepted at Valencia but by the end fans chanted my name and wanted to speak to me.

"If I went to a pub or a restaurant with my wife and children it was impossible to eat in peace.

"Luckily, there was one bar near my house where I always had a reservation and the owner would close the doors for me. I even had to go out with disguises, sometimes in dark glasses! Already in Liverpool it can be like that!

Benitez firmly believes, that no matter what happens this season, next season will be an even better one for Liverpool.

Benitez said: "I have a lot of confidence for next season. Why? Because I know the Premiership, I know the English mentality better and I know the language better. I know a lot of things that this year were new to me.

"I've made mistakes but you always make mistakes. The time to judge yourself is at the end of the season."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:54 pm

Nice article but I cant find anything to make me happy today.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:39 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Nice article but I cant find anything to make me happy today.

come on Lynds (and the rest of ya). It's like a blo.ody morgue in here today.

This time last year we were all dreading another season with Ged at the helm, fans were falling asleep at anfield (and it wasn't even full half the time!), the football had been dreadful all season long and we literally were a one-man team.

Okay so 4th place is gone - Screw the league! We're in a European Cup Semi-Final on Wednesday agaisnt the new champs of England. I wouldn't swap this opportunity for a guaranteed 4th place. would the rest of you?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:49 pm

Agree withyou there Scott,bing on the Pretenders, and lets go shopping for suncream.
Last edited by The Red Baron on Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84-1106852058

Postby The_Rock » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:10 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Nice article but I cant find anything to make me happy today.

would it make u happy if i tell u that we will get through chelsea and go to champions league final ??? :D

I am having the eerie feeling again.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:43 pm

I would swap it for 4th. 4th is guaranteed CL next season, a lot of money in the bank, more attractive to top players etc and provide hope of being a big club again.

Its possible we'll win CL but a guaranteed spot next season is better than a 25% (being generous with Chelsea and AC still there) chance of winning this year.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:12 pm

Big Niall wrote:I would swap it for 4th. 4th is guaranteed CL next season, a lot of money in the bank, more attractive to top players etc and provide hope of being a big club again.

Its possible we'll win CL but a guaranteed spot next season is better than a 25% (being generous with Chelsea and AC still there) chance of winning this year.

why dont you pour your 'half empty' glass of ******over your head
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:39 pm

.. That's a great article AB... the Boss is committed and fully focused on leading Liverpool to success.. the players who can't give it club ythe same dedications are the one's he must weed out...

.. My sentiments are like that of The Rock ... feel out names on the Cup.. but whatever happens .. next year wil be different..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:53 pm

Big Niall wrote:I would swap it for 4th. 4th is guaranteed CL next season, a lot of money in the bank, more attractive to top players etc and provide hope of being a big club again.

Qualifying for champ lge is all well and good but it could be a long time before we have as good a chance as this of actually winning it.  Lets face it, apart from Juve the draw has been kind to us this year.  None of the teams in our group were outstanding and neither were leverkusen. 

On top of that our good run this year will do more for generating cash and attracting better players than simply qualifying for the group stage each year.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:48 pm

I would swap it for 4th. 4th is guaranteed CL next season, a lot of money in the bank, more attractive to top players etc and provide hope of being a big club again.

F#ck off, I'm sorry but this club is about taking opportunities such as these and winning cups not finishing fourth in the league, which has been our objective every year and I'm getting tired of it.

This club needs to go forward.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Red Indian » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:01 pm

I agree with A.B.  how the f**k can finishing fourth rank alongside winning a trophy?  Despite that, the players are cheating the fans, the club and their manager by not showing the same commitment in the league.  Minimum requirement should be aiming to win every competition we enter, not finishing fourth.  Confidence breeds success, we need to have a bit more about us.
Red Indian

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:06 pm

This club has lowered it standards, fourth place is no longer acceptable. The players lowered their standards as well thinking that by finishing fourth everything will be alright when in fact it's not.

We got to aim higher if we want to go forwards.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:30 am

A.B. wrote:This club has lowered it standards, fourth place is no longer acceptable. The players lowered their standards as well thinking that by finishing fourth everything will be alright when in fact it's not.

AB, This might sound nuts to you but bear with me .
Winning the CL (if it happens) in year when our performance in our own domestic competition has been patchy and sometimes downright embarrasing ( to say the least) is not a sign that the club has progressed .

Perhaps our fortunate progress in the CL competition has blinded some of us to the fact the present squad are unable to deliver a consistancy that will once again establish us as one of the top sides in europe .

Be honest (all of you reading this) , right now we are in the last four in the CL , does anyone out there truly believe we are one of the BEST four teams in europe ? .

I agree with you AB ,we have to aim higher than just qualifying for the CL . After all , any cup competition eventually becomes a lottery and is no 100% indication of the status of the teams involved .

Personnally I would like to see the CL to involve ONLY the champions of the various domestic euro leagues. Everybody else should just go into a uefa cup competition, this may take the focus away from just battling to finish in the top four(so we can enter the CL) and redirect it (as before ) to actually winning our own domestic competition in order to compete with the elite .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:36 am

A.B. wrote:Benitez said: "I have a lot of confidence for next season. Why? Because I know the Premiership, I know the English mentality better and I know the language better. I know a lot of things that this year were new to me.

"I've made mistakes but you always make mistakes. The time to judge yourself is at the end of the season."

ive every confidence in Rafa tat he can change things around next season.n i do agree tat we fans need to give him time for him to adapt to the english football.there'll be a massive build-up wif-in the squad n im looking forward to the next season already.

expect us to challenge the likes of chelsea,arsenal n man utd for the league title.

:D  :D
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:07 am

woof woof ! wrote:
A.B. wrote:This club has lowered it standards, fourth place is no longer acceptable. The players lowered their standards as well thinking that by finishing fourth everything will be alright when in fact it's not.

AB, This might sound nuts to you but bear with me .
Winning the CL (if it happens) in year when our performance in our own domestic competition has been patchy and sometimes downright embarrasing ( to say the least) is not a sign that the club has progressed .

Perhaps our fortunate progress in the CL competition has blinded some of us to the fact the present squad are unable to deliver a consistancy that will once again establish us as one of the top sides in europe .

Be honest (all of you reading this) , right now we are in the last four in the CL , does anyone out there truly believe we are one of the BEST four teams in europe ? .

I agree with you AB ,we have to aim higher than just qualifying for the CL . After all , any cup competition eventually becomes a lottery and is no 100% indication of the status of the teams involved .

Personnally I would like to see the CL to involve ONLY the champions of the various domestic euro leagues. Everybody else should just go into a uefa cup competition, this may take the focus away from just battling to finish in the top four(so we can enter the CL) and redirect it (as before ) to actually winning our own domestic competition in order to compete with the elite .

well written woofster
112-1077774096

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion