Rafa 300 games in charge

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:21 pm

RAFA HITS BACK AT PENNANT

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has aimed a swipe back at Jermaine Pennant following the former Reds winger's criticism of his methods.

Pennant hit out Benitez's man-management skills, accusing the Spaniard of turning him into a 'robot' during his time at Anfield.

The Real Zaragoza new-boy also criticised Dirk Kuyt, who took Pennant's place in Benitez's side, labelling the Dutchman as a failed forward who was accommodated in the team because of his high transfer fee.

Benitez has jumped to Kuyt's defence, hailing the Dutchman's team ethic in not complaining when being reverted from a striker to a winger and also suggesting Kuyt would be willing to play anywhere for the Liverpool cause

"I saw what he [Pennant] had to say, but I don't intend saying too much about him," said Benitez.

"Kuyt's record is there for everyone to see and he doesn't need me to defend him. You only need to look at the impact he has made to see he is picked on merit and has become an extremely important member of our squad.

"He speaks out on the pitch and doesn't have to say a single word to justify his place. He is a striker who is as effective on the wing or as second striker, and, as you can see from his record, he scores goals as well as working hard.

"He is the sort of player who would be good for any manager. We signed him then extended his contract because we knew he was an excellent player and outstanding professional. I could put him in central defence and he would be as good as anyone."

Kuyt's importance to Liverpool is illustrated in that he is only two goals away from equalling Reds legend Ian Rush's tally of 14 European Cup goals.

The former Feyenoord man admits it would be an honour to join the likes of Rush in the Liverpool record boos and he is at a loss to explain why he is so prolific in Europe compared to the Premier League.

"To have the chance to maybe draw level with someone like Ian Rush is unbelievable," said Kuyt.

"He is one of the biggest names in the history of Liverpool and it would give me a great feeling if I could manage to do that."

"The milestones are nice but, if you don't have anything to go with them like a trophy, then it is not the same.

"I'm not sure why it has gone so well for me.

"I don't try and do anything different from in the Premier League but I do feel confident going into big Champions League games."
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:28 pm

I was surprised to read that Kuyt has only ever won one trophy in his whole career. Not knocking Kuyt , just honestly surprised........and no, not surprised that he had actually won something!
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:33 pm

was it the UEFA cup he won or Dutch Champs ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Dutch cup

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:38 pm

Thought Feynoord won the UEFA cup with him playing ? unless he was still at his previous club.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:42 pm

Not according to Wiki anyway

Career honours
FC Utrecht
Winner
2002–03 Dutch Cup
Runner up
2001–02 Dutch Cup
Liverpool FC
Runner-up
2006–07 UEFA Champions League
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Yeah i know mate - suprised Feynoord didnt win anything when him and Kalou were ripping apart the dutch league.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:46 pm

GYBS wrote:Yeah i know mate - suprised Feynoord didnt win anything when him and Kalou were ripping apart the dutch league.

They did win something....... but only after he left  :D

Surprisingly Utrecht won something the season after Dirk left as well  :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:47 pm

:laugh:
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:17 pm

If thats the case we should have sold him in the summer :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:25 am

October 02, 2009
Grim times ahead for Liverpool

Tony Cascarino

It is an anguished and oft-used chant from football fans: "You're not fit to wear the shirt". Well, I'm sorry, but I found myself humming the same tune when I watched Liverpool lose 2-0 to Fiorentina in the Champions League in Italy.

I'll name names, too: Lucas Leiva, Emiliano Insua, Fabiano Aurelio, Martin Skrtel. Are they really fit to wear the Liverpool shirt? Are they really up for it or up to it? Not from what I saw on Tuesday night, nor from what I've seen previously.

Up for it? I suppose possibly, marginally. I don't think I could question their comittment or attempts to fight for the cause. But up to it? I don't think so. They're just not good enough, especially Lucas.

The Brazilian is probably one of the most un-South American players I've ever seen and his impact in midfield, at best, appears negligible. If Steven Gerrard is off the boil, others have to step up to the plate. Lucas disappears; responsibility is not his forte. Not that Aurelio, another Brazilian, gave him much support. He was similarly woeful.

Insua, the left back, cannot defend for love nor money and Skrtel, all 6ft 4in of him, was given the runaround by Stevan Jovetic. OK, the Montenegrin is being billed as the next wunderkind of European football but, for goodness sake, Skrtel should be able to handle him. Allowing yourself to be bullied by a 19-year-old kid is simply embarrassing.

This foursome is just gruesome and I fail to comprehend why Rafa Benitez bought them. I don't see Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal having four first-team players not good enough to slip on the jersey. Those teams don't carry passengers.

While I'm at it, is Glen Johnson really a £17 million right back? Yes, he's good going forward. You get your £17 million-worth then. As a defender, though, he plays like a £500,000 Portsmouth reject. When he gambles along the right flank, Liverpool have no protection, no cover, no safety net. Along with Joleon Lescott, at £22 million, Johnson is the most overpriced of the summer signings.

Gerrard, on song, is superb. Javier Mascherano also and Fernando Torres is in a class of his own. Yossi Benayoun is a decent player, though it's always him who seems to be sacrificed after a defeat, while Alberto Aquilani could provide a boost when he recovers from injury. But when Liverpool are bad, they are really bad, like they were against Fiorentina and against Tottenham and Aston Villa in the league.

United, Chelsea and, occasionally, Arsenal can do ugly. They find ways to win when they are not playing well. They have other players who can lift their game when the superstars are struggling. What or who can Benitez call on? Not a lot. I see grim times ahead for Liverpool. Tuesday night might not be a one-off.
LINK

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:35 am

Fecking hell he makes me look like Emerald Red in terms of relative pro-ness. I think we'll chalk him down as being an anti S@int :D .
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:41 am

I thought I would post something cheerful and full of optimism before we play Chelsea :D

Postby maguskwt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:42 am

GYBS wrote:Kuyt's importance to Liverpool is illustrated in that he is only two goals away from equalling Reds legend Ian Rush's tally of 14 European Cup goals.

where have all the Kuyt bashers gone?  :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:46 am

maguskwt wrote:
GYBS wrote:Kuyt's importance to Liverpool is illustrated in that he is only two goals away from equalling Reds legend Ian Rush's tally of 14 European Cup goals.

where have all the Kuyt bashers gone?  :D

Only two goals short ......... he might just get them before he retires then  :D

To be fair Rush didn't play that many CL games due to our ban.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion