Our formation? should we continue to - Play like this if torres is injured?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:48 pm

john craig wrote:I still think something's got to give in the middle St Mike, Lucas and Mascherano are just too similar.

I don't agree with you when you say that Masch and Lucas are too similar, in fact I think they're quite different but I do agree than neither can really be relied on to deliver a killer ball or moment of magic to create goals.

If it was up to me, I'd be happy to see them stay in the centre with Aquilani pushed up behind Torres and Gerrard on the right instead of Kuyt. We all know this won't happen though, even though Kuyt has had a nightmare recently.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Things have got to change for me Rafa has to stop playing Insua, if he is so confident of insua why does he play left backs protecting him Dossena today, Aurelio on other occasions.
Aurelio is our best LB option so play him instead of insua.
if Aurelio is injured then use Insua or the Doss as cover.

Please for god sake Rafa whats the score with Dirk Kuyt being the first name on the team sheet? he has played more games than any other player this season, his second touch is a foul, he runs into walls, gives the ball away everytime he gets it. If you are going to play him everygame tell him not to move from the goal then he will score tap ins like the 100's he scored in Holland. Remove him from the firing line please for his sake and your own.

The tactics are just not working and they are boring, defensive and predictable with no plan B, if the likes of Carra and we seen Johnson doing it today hoofing it up top to no target man, the Blackburn game hoofing it up to Kuyt was one of the worst tactics Ive seen whats the score? Why?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chrisrafman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:37 pm

No team has won the premier league by playing 1 up front. Enough said
The devil on the badge represents the equality of manchester united with satan and his many demoish minions downstairs. just like the many twisted devil worshipers accross the world it means you have to posess the same sick minded mentality to follow that pathetic excuse for a football team.
chrisrafman

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:40 pm

chrisrafman wrote:No team has won the premier league by playing 1 up front. Enough said

Chelsea and Man Utd both have.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chrisrafman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:47 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:
chrisrafman wrote:No team has won the premier league by playing 1 up front. Enough said

Chelsea and Man Utd both have.

Ok then when? Chelsea under mourinho played 3 forwards.  A striker with 2 forward playing wingers. it was a 433 set up. Ferguson is a consistent user of 442 aswell. if he ever does use a 451 its more like a 433 aswell with ronaldo last season playing forward. Were playing a 4231. We have 1 striker with a support player and 2 holding midfielders. Tactics as negative as that will win NOTHING
The devil on the badge represents the equality of manchester united with satan and his many demoish minions downstairs. just like the many twisted devil worshipers accross the world it means you have to posess the same sick minded mentality to follow that pathetic excuse for a football team.
chrisrafman

Postby lakes10 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:32 pm

we need to forget about Alonso, at the end of the day he left due to Rafa :censored: him off, but now he has gone and we need to move on
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:36 pm

lakes10 wrote:we need to forget about Alonso, at the end of the day he left due to Rafa :censored: him off, but now he has gone and we need to move on

:idea
LFC2007

Postby DaMo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:09 pm

It is arguably a defensive formation by default, but as can be said of any variation of 4-5-1 you care to mention, it depends on how you play it. With a progressive passing game and full backs bombing forward, it can give plenty of attacking intent. Rafa obviously likes the balance it can bring and it his preferred formation, while it looked anything but boring or defensive last season. Nevertheless, you could easily make an argument that it's not currently clicking for whatever reason, and that a new system is therefore needed. This view can obviously be based on any number of factors, from the negativity that comes with having Lucas and Masch in the middle, to Gerrard yet to find form and thus not offering much in the hole, the full backs not providing enough width (or providing it at the expense of defensive stability, a la' Johnson, if you believe that), Kuyt being exposed for not being a legitimate winger, or maybe you can insist that Alonso was essential for the formation's stability.

So, in light of one or more of these reasons (among others), do we change the system, or do we wait and see if it will all fall into place when players find form and have fully recovered from injury (most notably Aquilani)? At the end of the day, that answer depends on your opinion as to the origins of why it's going to hell on the field in the first place.

Personally, I think that if it becomes apparent that Aquilani doesn't significantly boost our build-up and attack, and Stevie doesn't look like getting into gear and doing his part to re-produce the partnership with Torres, you'd be hard pressed to justify sticking with the formation.

Would 4-4-2 really be the solution? Quite frankly, I for one don't like the idea of Kuyt as a support striker any more than I do as a right winger right now. With him seemingly being undroppable, that's the only gripe I'd have, besides waiting however long it takes for players to adapt to a different system, of course. Granted 4-4-2 is simple enough and would represent going "back to basics", so it surely wouldn't take too long.

Stick or twist, folks? Either way, let's hope Rafa (or his successor, if replaced), can find the answer sooner rather than later.
Last edited by DaMo on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaMo

Postby tubby » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:33 pm

We should be playing 4-4-2. NGog isnt a world beater but atleast he has shown he takes his chances now and again. He can give defences something else to think about. Our formation is only good when Stevie and Torres are on form. When neither can be arsed as we saw today then nothing happens.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:08 am

YES, DEFFENETLY!If not the formatin, at least the order of the players, like we did with Wigan
                                           Reina
        Johnson          Carra                  Agger          Insua

Kuyt/Benny              Gerrard                 Mashe           Aurelio

Benny/Kuyt

Torres

This is a good lineup, considering all the injuries.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:18 am

And yes, bavlondon is right.If Gerrard and Torres arent playing or are in a bad shape then we are completly lost.Thats really bad.What if they go in another club for example or get really badly injured?What then?Another 20 years until we could at least stand a chance for the title?I always thought that teams should be led by one or two players, but that they should show their quallity in their game and great team work, which shouldnt be completly brought down with the apsent of a player.At the time I thought that Liverpool is such a team and thats why I became a fan of Liverpool.But I gues I was wrong...
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion