Onwards and upwards

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 am

So five games in and not looking too rosy.

I've already heard some ludicrous callers to Talksport, claiming to be Liverpool supporters, calling for Rodgers head. Seriously...

I however not only have complete faith in Rodgers and his ability to turn around this club but also think we about to see the golden sky at the end of the storm (see what I did there ;) )

The vast majority of Liverpool supporters could see that September would be a tough month when the fixtures were released. Looking back on that period the West Brom defeat got us into an early rut that we have not recovered from.

We can feel justifiably aggrieved with our current points standing and league position, however. Not only did we not deserve to lose to Man Utd on Sunday but we also managed to throw away a win against the champions earlier in the month, a game where again we dominated. There can be no real excuses for the West Brom and Arsenal defeats. We could easily be sitting mid-table right now.

However, as the thread title dictates, our next set of fixtures provides a glimmer of hope that our season could turn around.

September 2012

West Brom v Liverpool (A) COC
Norwich v Liverpool (A) PL

October 2012

Liverpool v Udinese (H) EL
Liverpool v Stoke (H) PL
Liverpool v Reading (H) PL
Liverpool v Anzhi Makhachkala (H) EL
Everton v Liverpool (A) PL

One thing is clear, we need to bounce back quickly. West Brom away is not important in the big scheme of things but losing there could derail the season completely. October is a golden opportunity to get some points in the bag. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect all home games to be won. Four wins on the trot shoudl set up an interesting encounter with Everton at the end of the month.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 am

4 wins on the trot ?!

There is no evidence to suggest that can and will happen - we can't score goals and we can't stop goals. For all our good play yesterday we still didn't create enough.

Things need to change and change quickly or the season will just get worse.
Benny The Noon

Postby metalhead » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 am

Good post mate,

but with the way things are going it's really hard to find optimism. I'm actually starting to fear the worst. Most of our goals are coming from midfield and not a lot from our strikers, so without a fox in the box type of striker you wonder were you're going to get the goals. I think our performances up to date (bar Arsenal and WBA) have been good, but again my worry is that we are short in the attack area.

Hopefully in the next 5 games we pick up something, and I want to agree with B-Rod when he said we will fly if we start winning, so I'm hopeful!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rimetto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am

Yeah come one Redmen take heart and solidarity from yesterday and go on a run so we can go into the Everton match with confidence.

IN BR I TRUST !!!!!!!!!!
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby babu » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 am

Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:30 am wrote:4 wins on the trot ?!

There is no evidence to suggest that can and will happen - we can't score goals and we can't stop goals. For all our good play yesterday we still didn't create enough.

Walk on... Walk on...

Please.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:45 am

I actually think all those home games are exactly what Borini and Suarez need. The games are on paper very winnable.

Whilst I agree that the next few games will define our season, I disagree in the sense I believe we will come through those games in good shape.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:55 am

Winnable on paper means f*ck all in the grand scheme of things - I have lost count the amount of "winnable on paper" games we have lost
Benny The Noon

Postby babu » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 am

Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:55 am wrote:Winnable on paper means f*ck all in the grand scheme of things - I have lost count the amount of "winnable on paper" games we have lost

And vice versa my friend.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 am

Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:55 am wrote:Winnable on paper means f*ck all in the grand scheme of things - I have lost count the amount of "winnable on paper" games we have lost

This is just it. On paper we should have beaten West Brom and should have no problems against Hearts or Young Boys. Football isn't played on paper, it's played on the green grass of football stadiums and although we have 'easier fixtures' coming up means nothing if we do not start registering wins on the board.
Boxscarf

Postby Rimetto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:05 pm

i'm sorry i must have been mistaken but have we not scored 7 goals in the last 3 games ? and just outplayed the now favorites for the PL (not my odds by the way) with 10 men.

Maybe instead of moaning and being negative like the media and press are about liverpool you could get behind the team?

Yes our position at the moment is not great but to think we are going to stay there is ridiculous at this moment in time.
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Boxscarf » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:57 am wrote:

This is just it. On paper we should have beaten West Brom and should have no problems against Hearts or Young Boys. Football isn't played on paper, it's played on the green grass of football stadiums and although we have 'easier fixtures' coming up means nothing if we do not start registering wins on the board.

No one is saying those games are default wins, but my personal expectation is that we register a win for home games in October. I do not think that is unreasonable. We have been playing well enough recently to expect wins if we had been playing lesser opposition.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Rimetto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:05 pm wrote:

i'm sorry i must have been mistaken but have we not scored 7 goals in the last 3 games ? and just outplayed the now favorites for the PL (not my odds by the way) with 10 men.

Maybe instead of moaning and being negative like the media and press are about liverpool you could get behind the team?

Yes our position at the moment is not great but to think we are going to stay there is ridiculous at this moment in time.

We scored 5 of those in an Europa game FFS - meaningless in the prem

Outplaying ( whichb we didnt ) doesnt get you any extra goals or points.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:05 pm

yesterday was just bad luck, united only had 2 shots on target in the whole 98 minutes and they both went in, whats more one of those was a fullback curling a shot in off the post from a tight angle with his wrong foot and the other was a soft pen. you know it`s not going to be your day when that sh*t like that starts to happen.
decisions went against us as well, not just the big calls like the sending off or suarez`s pen shout but in general play too, halsey was constantly giving them free kick after free kick for the most innocuous challenges, every time that kawaga recieved the ball he just flopped onto the floor and halsey blew his whistle. at one point he stood up and jogged off laughing.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Every match is bad luck for us, or so it seems.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:19 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:05 pm wrote:yesterday was just bad luck, united only had 2 shots on target in the whole 98 minutes and they both went in, whats more one of those was a fullback curling a shot in off the post from a tight angle with his wrong foot and the other was a soft pen. you know it`s not going to be your day when that sh*t like that starts to happen.
decisions went against us as well, not just the big calls like the sending off or suarez`s pen shout but in general play too, halsey was constantly giving them free kick after free kick for the most innocuous challenges, every time that kawaga recieved the ball he just flopped onto the floor and halsey blew his whistle. at one point he stood up and jogged off laughing.

We had 5 shots on target they had 4
Benny The Noon

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion