Nunez - Getting better?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:16 pm

RobG14 wrote:Nunez did play well last night as i think he has been doing in his previous three or four games. He is a quality player despite some of the critiscm i have heard him recieve from so called liverpool fans.

I like wingers who hug the touch line and create lots of width like they are supposed to do, which is exactly what nunez does and has been doing in recent games in which hes played. He is also very good in the air, perhaps the best header of the ball we have at the club at the moment.

yeah rob, your point about wingers getting chalk on their boots is a good one. it stops the fullbacks tucking in and compressing the area. the lads no peter thompson or john barnes but his delivery is decent, and most importantly he IS improving with every game. if he keeps getting better you cant knock him.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby coolsobs » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:28 pm

great postioning and crossing but also probably the best headerer of the ball, minus morientes.
coolsobs

Postby mrcool2003 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:31 pm

he reminds me abit like gronkjaer, though i hope not, cause he could hardly cross a good ball but nunez i can see him improving every game he plays, i think thats what we lack, someone of the heading ability of morienties cause a couple of those crossees last nite were crying out for someone to thump a header in the back of th e  net
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:43 pm

I was shocked to see so many postitive comments about Nunez. Maybe Im alone on this but I think he is rubbish. He stays on side ok enough, prob hiding behind an opponent out of the wind, but he hasnt skinned anyone yet and his allround play is pretty average. I thought his crossing was mediocre to poor. If he stood out last night, which I dont think he did, then its because he dragged everyone down to his level in what was a poor Liverpool display. I was astonished when Kamara said he stood out, yet theres more praise on this forum. Perhaps I need new a new contact lens prescription  :glare:
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:57 pm

I think if you read everyones posts most people say he is improving. 

I think most of his crosses where going into the right areas, we just didn't have anyone attacking the areas that should have been attacked. 

His positional play is excellent, dragging full backs out wide making more space for our more intelligent forwards ie Baros to run into and stretching the opposing defence.

Time will tell but I think he is improving with every game and his understanding with the other players is also getting better.  As long as the learning curve carries on in the direction it is currently going I can only be positive about Nunez.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby LFCFan4Life » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:34 pm

Perhaps I need new a new contact lens prescription

I think you do and I also think that you don't think it's a good cross until somebody gets at the end of it no. Nunez can cross the good fairly well BUT we have nobody good in the air to capitalize however since we have signed Morientes I think that will change.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:02 pm

:cool: time will tell, i think hes a bad one who we wont see much of in the medium to long term. Only in now because we are struggling with injuries. Rafa took him out of pity after failing to land Morientes and the younger Madrid forward in the Owen deal.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby LFCFan4Life » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:52 pm

Rafa took him out of pity after failing to land Morientes and the younger Madrid forward in the Owen deal.

No you are completely wrong. Benitez spoke about the situation with Nunez, he said that he was going to sign him eventually as he feels that Nunez is good in the air and good crosser of the ball. Benitez didn't just take him because he had too. Some of this information has been posted on LFC.tv, you ought to read it more often. :cool:
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Huck » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:35 am

If u wanna know the truth, we (Real supporters in spain) dont even know very much about Nuñez game...We have seen him playing very few times and though he seemed to have potential to be the perfect substitute for Figo when necessary it seemed he had to be less "shy" to play for a 1st class club...I think its exactly what he is doing there...I could see his debut and he was frightened, he was continuosly falling as if his knees were broken, but as I can read this hes improving, well, Im glad for that but u have to remember that he is not a star...take him as a learner by now :;):
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Postby Redrider » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:54 am

Good first half against Watford, when he was being used to take the ball to Watford. Less noticable in the second half when Baros was employed to push the left hand side and Gerrard pushed up the middle.
I like the lad, he looks like a good player !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:25 am

I wasn't quite convinced after his first few games - but held back from expressing that view cause it was too early to judge him after quite a nasty injury & the fact he was playing for a new club with a new system.
I sort of agree with bit's and pieces of what a few have said.  I think his fitness still needs a bit of work - but as everyone else has said - is improving with every game, I like the was he stays out on the touchline, his crossing was average to start with but is getting better & better with every game - the fact that no one is BLOODY attacking the ball is not down to Nunez - he can do no more (except maybe bollock a few people)
His heading is good & he's starting to get stuck in a little bit more

But the thing I've been most impressed with - bar one or 2 games has been his touch & control (and that goes for all the Spaniards we've signed), the control is instant - even if it's a difficult ball to take !
To be honest - I don't think the lad has done any worse than Garcia or Josemi
SouthernScouser

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:06 pm

Good post SS.  I agree with everything there.  Basically I don't think we have a better option out on the right wing.  And once again.. he is improving, give him till the endmof the year before proper judgement can be given
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:57 pm

Nunez hasnt impressed me really, im not saying that he cant improve but i havnt seen anything from him that leads me to beleive he has what it takes to be a regular in our side for years to come. Ok he can cross the ball pretty well, but his skills are very average, he never seems to have anything else in his mind other than to kick it down the line and whip it in to the box.

Many of his crosses being nothing but hopeful, sometimes he crosses without even looking to see who's in the box. This leads to many of his crosses finding no one in the box to receive them, and how many times have his crosses ended up floating into the stands.

Recently though he has improved, as he looks sharper and fitter, also more of his crosses are hitting the right spots and maybe the arrival of morientes will help his cause, as morientes is great in the air, but personally i see nunez as a player with quite limited ability, i reckon he could prove to be a useful squad player, but first team, im not so sure and i think we could do better.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:02 pm

Many of his crosses being nothing but hopeful, sometimes he crosses without even looking to see who's in the box. This leads to many of his crosses finding no one in the box to receive them, and how many times have his crosses ended up floating into the stands.

THERE IS NOBODY IN THE BOX TO RECIEVE THEM. None of our players are good in the air therefore when Nunez crosses the ball none of our players attempt to get a header. His job is to cross balls into the box to our player but our players are no good in the air but with Morientes I'm sure that will change.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:06 pm

well if theres no one in the box you dont cross the ball it's as simple as that, i stated that the arrival of morientes could benefit Nunez, but the lack of an aerial threat dosn't give him an excuse for his blind crosses.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion