Maxi rodriguez - Thoughts?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Alright, he had a brilliant game at the right hand side today, he actually does very well at the right hand side. I don't know why we insist on him playing on the left? He doesn't show up in that position and looks worst.

Lets keep him on the right hand side, he had a fantastic game against portsmouth and against sunderland today.

I think he adds another dimension to our passing game, almost got a goal today as well. Good player, I like him where he should be.. playing on the RIGHT HAND SIDE.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 pm

He has always been a very good player - was always going to take him a very games to get going after not playing regulary for a number of months - his link up play with johnson ,kuyt ,gerrard and torres was very good and could of easily got himself on the scoresheet , surprisingly good in the airr
Benny The Noon

Postby roberto green » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:34 pm

I think he is getting better with every game.You never know we could make 10m on the sale of Kuyt (Rafa's adopted son:D ) for summer spending as we now have the much cheaper Maxi.
roberto green

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:40 pm

I think he is actually a gamble at 1.5m.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:40 pm

he's been distictly average until today. I'm holding judgement until next season, but he clearly has talent. It's just a case of getting it out of him.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:47 pm

7_Kewell wrote:he's been distictly average until today. I'm holding judgement until next season, but he clearly has talent. It's just a case of getting it out of him.

He needs to be deployed in a proper system. Same with all other players.

Look at Gerrard, not up to standard, we played 4-4-2 today and he bossed everything. Maxi needs players beside him that get the best out of him. Johnson is a player who can get the best out of him as well as Gerrard and Torres
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:52 pm

metalhead wrote:I think he is actually a gamble at 1.5m.

You know what though, you never be to disheartened when you pay that kind of money for a player and they end up no good like Josemi, Nunez etc but when you get a Kryikios( how ever you spell it) and Maxi for the value you do it makes it feel alot better when they turn out good.
roberto green

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm still far from convinced by Rodriguez.  Clearly he has a bit of skill about him, but at times he looks like he still struggles with the pace of the Premiership.  Whether he's got the ability or the determination at his age to be able to adapt his style only time will tell.

My guess is that at best we have got ourselves a good squad player, but I can't see him being the type to turn in matchwinning performances or be 'the difference' in games, he's too much of a peripheral figure.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolusfan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:59 pm

metalhead wrote:Alright, he had a brilliant game at the right hand side today, he actually does very well at the right hand side. I don't know why we insist on him playing on the left? He doesn't show up in that position and looks worst.

"We" don't play him on the left. Management does. Just like management forces Kuyt to play right when clearly that isn't the best way to utilize his striker mentality.

Players learn all their lives to play a certain position then management buys them and sticks them in a position they are not accustom to, at a premiere league level at that, and we wonder why these guys don't perform to their abilities.

Sometimes injuries necessitate these force change positions (like Carra playing in Johnson's position when he was hurt) but other times it's just wishful thinking on management that a player will be as good, regardless of what position he plays.

How many years did Gerrard complain about playing on the wings until management finally moved him to a central role in the offense these past two seasons?
liverpoolusfan

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Gerrard also scored 20 odd goals playing out right but when you actually watched him when he played out right - the amount of times he stayed out there where very minimal as he was always drifting and cutting inside .
Benny The Noon

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:05 pm

john craig wrote:I'm still far from convinced by Rodriguez.  Clearly he has a bit of skill about him, but at times he looks like he still struggles with the pace of the Premiership.  Whether he's got the ability or the determination at his age to be able to adapt his style only time will tell.

My guess is that at best we have got ourselves a good squad player, but I can't see him being the type to turn in matchwinning performances or be 'the difference' in games, he's too much of a peripheral figure.

I don't think he was brought as a player as a match winning performer. I think he is a type of player who can give us an extra attacking dimension, also some goals and assists. We looked a good creative and attacking side when we have players like Aquilani, Torres, Gerrard and Maxi in the mix. He doesn't lose the ball as much as Kuyt, Lucas and Masch does.

Maxi has good vision, passing and movement. He links up well with his full back, especially with Johnson. Play him in the right system and you see a very good player.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:47 pm

He played more or less the same position today as he did against Portsmouth and on both occasions he's linked with Johnson and Gerrard well. That's what he does. He's a good one-touch link man. We don't get enough of that with Kuyt there.
LFC2007

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 pm

metalhead wrote:
john craig wrote:I'm still far from convinced by Rodriguez.  Clearly he has a bit of skill about him, but at times he looks like he still struggles with the pace of the Premiership.  Whether he's got the ability or the determination at his age to be able to adapt his style only time will tell.

I don't think he was brought as a player as a match winning performer. I think he is a type of player who can give us an extra attacking dimension, also some goals and assists. We looked a good creative and attacking side when we have players like Aquilani, Torres, Gerrard and Maxi in the mix. He doesn't lose the ball as much as Kuyt, Lucas and Masch does.

Maxi has good vision, passing and movement. He links up well with his full back, especially with Johnson. Play him in the right system and you see a very good player.

my main concern for Maxi is his ability to cope with the rough and tumble of the Premier league. He gets knocked off the ball easily and he was kicked out of the game against man utd.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Was MoTM today IMO. Was all over the place on both sides and kept the fluidity going in our attacks.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:12 pm

I thought Today was Rodriguez's best game by far, some of his long range passing was incisive and inventive although on some occasions he failed to reach his required targets, I do however believe his short passing game has developed greatly with every game he plays for the Reds and today he was far superior to Kuyt in that role ,I don't want to in any way tempt the fickle hand of fate but Maxi seems a lot more durable and a lot less susceptible to injury than other players this season .
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion